Second Grade Science Newsletter
Welcome to 2nd Grade Science!
Team Carter Learns Science!
What's the BIG IDEA?!
Here are a few of the topics we will dive into and BIG QUESTIONS we will answer!
- Force, motion and energy: How are these elements connected and how do they help us today? VA SOL 2.2
- Matter: What are the different phases and how to we use them in home and at school? VA SOL 2.3
- Life Cycles: How are life cycles of plants and animals similar and different? VA SOL 2.4, 2.5
- Weather and Earth Systems: How does weather affect our daily lives? How might we impact weather? VA SOL 2.6, 2.7
THE FOUR QUESTION STRATEGY- A MODEL FOR SUCCESS IN SCIENCE
Below is an example of how we will use The Four Question Strategy to generate experimental ideas from a general topic (plants):
Q1: What materials are readily available for conducting experiments on plants?
Q2: How do plants act?
Q3: How can I change my materials to affect the action of the plant?
Q4: How can I measure the changes I observe?
HOW WILL WE ASSESS OUR KNOWLEDGE?
We will work as a team to develop grading criteria and rubrics that focus on specific achievement goals. Involving students in the assessment process helps them to take ownership of their learning and clearly focus on their objectives.
As we learn new material we will often stop and self-assess our understanding using the "SELF CHECK STOPLIGHT". Students will use red, yellow, or green circular stickers to gauge their understanding. We will use this information to guide instruction and activities.
SELF CHECK STOPLIGHT
IT'S ALL RELATIVE
LET'S GET APPY!
- Maggie's Earth Adventures
- WaterLife: Where Rivers Meet the Sea