Ms. Larrabee's 1st Grade Class
The Buzz This Week (2/8 - 2/12)
Writing: We've finished our first "How-To" writing last week and we're beginning "How-To" chapter books this week. Students will transfer what they learned from their first "How- To" piece to an informational text that has a table of contents, chapters, pictures with labels, captions and more to teach their reader about their topic.
Reading: We have two more weeks with our poetry unit. We spent a lot of last week learning about alliterations. This week we'll look at similes and begin writing our own poems as we study different types of poetry.
Word Work: Our studies in vocabulary will be with word endings -nk and -sp in words such as pink and wasp. The new sight words we'll be practicing include: so, number, their, light, these.
Science: We have asked many questions and have enjoyed learning about the moon! We're continuing our studies of the moon this week. We'll be completing a project later in the week where the students will be making the moon phases with Oreos. Please let me know if you would prefer that your child doesn't eat the Oreos when we're done with the project. We'll also begin learning about star formations and then types of clouds after we finish with the moon.
Math: We're steadily learning and practicing different addition strategies with two digit numbers to 100. Several students are more thoughtfully choosing efficient strategies and are able to articulate their thought processes as well!
Buzz Worthy Things to Look Out For...
- There is no school on Friday, February 12th for a teacher inservice day and Monday, February 15th in honor of Presidents' Day.
- Our Valentine's Day party is on Thursday, February 11th at 2:30 p.m. In preparation of our upcoming celebration, please have your child bring in a class set (17 students) of Valentines, addressed to their classmates and signed by themselves. We'll distribute the Valentines within bags that will be decorated at school, therefore no other decorated "mailboxes" will be needed. Thank you for your support!
- There is a Keysor PTO meeting this Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
- Keysor is having a special hat day this Tuesday (tomorrow) in support of the Special Olympics! If your child donates a dollar or more to this special cause, they may wear a hat to school tomorrow!
- Keysor is having a Speed Stack Tournament on Tuesday, February 23rd. If your child would like to participate, please let me know and I'll send home a registration form.
Tuesday: Art/ hat day/ Speed Stackers
Wednesday: P.E./ Wellness Wednesday
Thursday: Music/ chess club