Eagle Band Family Newsletter
As usual, there is a LOT of information here, yet ALL of it pertains directly to our awesome band family! Be on the lookout for newsletters in your inbox near the first of each month!
If you do not wish to receive these updates, then please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message.
If you wish to receive these updates at a different email address, then please follow this guide to subscribe.
High School News (LNHS)
Even though auditions for Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band are in progress for 1st hour Advanced Bands, we are still in the full swing of Marching Band "season." The Screaming Eagles will compete this coming weekend at the Lee's Summit North Marching Invitational, and next week at the Cameron Marchfest. Also, senior night for all band students will be at the home football game on Friday, October 21.
The LNHS Wind Symphony will soon start preparing for their upcoming performance at the Missouri Music Educators Association (MMEA) convention. This is a HUGE honor that involved a recorded audition for an out-of-state panel of judges. This is only the second time in the history of the LNHS Bands that one of our groups has been selected for this performance!
Please bookmark libertynorthband.org, your 'one stop shop' for all things LNHS Bands!
LN Wind Symphony to MMEA
The Wind Symphony will play at the state music education convention in January! (Photo of last LN band to perform - 2017)
Fall Festival Parade
The Liberty North Marching Band performing at the Fall Festival Parade
Someone needs to check this student's birth certificate...
LN Wind Symphony to MMEA
"Band AND..." on full display! (Please don't believe anyone who tells you that you have to choose between band OR something else! There is almost always a way to do both/all!)
That look when the tempo is NOT right...
New Trailer Wrap
THANK YOU to DR. KANNING (Kanning Orthodontics) for sponsoring the new trailer wrap!
Middle School News (HMS/SVMS)
LPS Middle School Honor Symphony Orchestra
Abi Boulter - Flute (AND violin!)
Braeden Class - Clarinet
Mackenzie Huber - Clarinet
Seth Nickel - Clarinet
Caleb Shonkwiler - Trumpet
Logan Hemphill - Horn
Katelyn O'Rear - Horn
Evan Francis -Trombone
Kelly Neal - Trombone
Tyler Nelson - Trombone
Matthew Dembski - Tuba
David Kim - Percussion
Mason Wallace - Percussion
Middle School All-District Band Auditions
Band Boosters and Fundraising
The Liberty North Band Boosters are a group of parent volunteers, organized to:
- Support the students, directors, and families.
- Create a sense of community and encourage parent and student engagement in band activities.
- Raise funds to financially support band programs. (SEE BELOW!)
- Promote the program within the community.
The Boosters support ALL of our Band Family, grades 6-12!
Please contact Booster President Amy Konkle with questions, ideas, or to find out ways to get involved! firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trivia Night - Oct. 9
Online Silent Auction
Spread the word to anyone interested!
(Auction is live through Oct. 9)
Needing a new mattress? Check this out!
Coming Soon! (Oct 10-21 - LNHS Students!)
Recent/Upcoming LNHS, HMS, and/or SVMS Performances
- Mon., 10/3 - 7:00 p.m., Band Booster Meeting AND Mattress Fundraiser Kickoff Meeting in the Jacobs Performing Arts Theater (Students can earn up to $25 in their SFAs for attending this meeting! Email email@example.com for more info.)
- Mon., 10/3 - LN Advanced Bands audition videos due by 11:59 p.m. on Canvas
- Sat.,10/8 - LN Screaming Eagles at Lee's Summit North Marching Invitational
- Sat., 10/15 - LN Screaming Eagles at Cameron Marchfest
- Tues., 10/18 - First day of Wind Symphony/Symphonic Band (1st hour at LNHS)
- Fri., 10/21 - NHS Home Football Game; SENIOR Night (parents meet on track with 3:00 left in 2nd quarter)
- Week of 10/24 - LN Winter Guard auditions - contact Coach Hall for more info
- Sun., 10/30 - Mattress sale fundraiser (LNHS Field House)
- Sat., 11/5 - All-District Band auditions (HMS/SVMS/LNHS)
- Early November - HMS/SVMS Winter Guard auditions TBD (Coach Hall)
- Fri., 11/11 - Lewis and Clark Elem. Alumni performance at LCE Veteran's Day Assembly
- Thurs.-Sat., 11/17-19 - Into the Woods (LNHS musical)
- Sat., 12/3 - HS All-State Band auditions (Columbia, MO)
- Tues., 12/6 - HMS Winter Band Concert (at LNHS)
- Wed., 12/7 - LPS MS Honor Symphony Orchestra Concert (at LNHS)
- Thurs.-Sat., 12/8-10 - High School All-District Band rehearsals and performances
- Sat., 12/10 - MS and HS All-District Band rehearsals and performances
- Tues., 12/13 - LN Bands Winter Concert (at LNHS)
- Fri., 12/16 - SVMS Winter Band Concert (at SVMS)
Favorite band memory - "My favorite band memory is last year at Cameron march fest! The band spent the whole day together and won so many amazing awards. Also had a great time with my friends and section. "
Something interesting/unique about me - "I love to read and once finished a book in one sitting"
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "Exemplary rating on horn solo at districts and outstanding rating at state on horn solo."
Favorite band/guard memory - "We were at a winter guard competition for championships, and it was at the very end of the day and everyone was getting 'dressed up' and the atmosphere was amazing."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I have a sphinx cat"
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "For guard banquet's, sophomore year I earned 'Miss Consistent' and 'Miss Cries Over Donuts,' and junior year I earned 'Miss Steadfast'"
Favorite band memory - "My favorite band memory is going to the state solo and ensemble festival my junior year. I really enjoyed getting to perform those pieces I had been working so hard on and that work paying off with gold ratings. I also just had a great time hanging with my friends and getting to listen to everyone that day."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I really love modern/experimental forms of art, especially music. The kinds of art/music that makes people think it's nonsense."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "All-district band twice both in concert in jazz, all-state alternate, multiple honor bands, drum major, lettering 3 years, many gold ratings at solo and ensemble, multiple outstanding soloist awards, and a three time fellow of the Kansas City Area Youth Jazz."
Favorite band/guard memory - "My favorite memory from guard would be getting to perform in the Fall Festival Parade."
Something interesting/unique about me - "I don't use elevators because they make me claustrophobic."
Accomplishments/accolades/awards - "I have had the honor of being guard captain for two years."
Upcoming Auditions/Camps/Workshops/Performance Opportunities
The President's Own U.S. Marine Band Concerto Competition
The U.S. Marine Band in Washington D.C. is holding a concerto competition for high school students. Please visit https://www.marineband.marines.mil/Educational/Concerto-Competition/ for more information. Auditions are due by November 15! (Winds and percussion are only eligible every-other year, so check it out now!)
Northwinds Symphonic Band Young Artist Concerto Competition
The Northwinds Symphonic Band has an annual Concerto Competition for students in grades 9-12. The winner of this competition not only gets to perform with this semi-professional band on one of their concerts, but they also win a cash prize of $1,000.00! (Dr. Doss has had 4 former students win this competition over the years, though I take ZERO credit for their success in this event! I say this only to let you know it is VERY possible to win!)
Information may be found here. Deadline is January 25, 2023.
Live Jazz KC High School All Star Big Band
The founders of the Live Jazz KC High School All Star Big Band are seeking motivated high school jazz musicians for this KC Metro honor group. Visit https://www.livejazzkc.com/hsallstars for details, and contact Mr. Fuller for a recommendation/nomination.
The National Youth Wind Symphony will be conducted by internationally acclaimed conductor Eugene Migliaro Corporon. Maestro Corporon is the conductor of the Wind Symphony and Regents Professor of Music at the University of North Texas.
The National Youth Symphony Orchestra will be conducted by internationally acclaimed conductor Marios Papadopoulos. Maestro Papadopoulos is the Founder and Music Director of the Oxford Philharmonic Orchestra in England.
To apply, your students will need to prepare the excerpt/s for their instrument from the approved list and video or audio record themselves playing the music, without accompaniment. Additionally, a written and signed letter of recommendation from you or their private instructor which speaks to their ability to perform the selected repertoire is necessary and must accompany the application.
To audition for the National Youth Wind Symphony, go to https://bit.ly/NYECarnegieHallMAP
To audition for the National Youth Symphony Orchestra, go to https://bit.ly/NYSOCarnegieHallMAP
Audition deadline for both ensembles is October 25, 2022.
KC Metro All-District Band / Missouri All-State Band
KC Metro All-District Band auditions (for both middle school AND high school) will occur on Sat., Nov. 5 at Liberty High School.
The Eagle Bands have an incredibly strong tradition of excellence at the District and State levels. Last year, we had more students make the All-District Bands AND the All-STATE Band than any other schools in the state!! Let's keep the streak going!!
SVMS - Kelsee.Gardner@lps53.org
HMS - Michael.Dragen@lps53.org
LNHS - Michaelshane.Fuller@lps53.org
LNHS - Justin.Doss@lps53.org
LNHS Band Website - libertynorthband.org
Remind Codes (text the code, including the "@" to the number 81010)
- LNHS Concert Band (all grades) - @lncb2223
- LNHS Seniors - @lnband23
- LNHS Juniors - @lnband24
- LNHS Sophomores - @lnband25
- LNHS Freshmen - @lnband26
- LNHS Varsity Guard - @lnvguard
- LNHS JV Guard - @jvguardln
Remind Codes for Band Boosters
- 22-23 Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors - @lnhsbandb2
- 22-23 Freshmen - @lnhsbb2026
- 22-23 8th Grade - @lnhsbb2027
- Convince friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc. to attend the mattress sale (10/30), trivia night (10/9), bid in the online silent auction (10/9), buy Shakespeare's pizza (10/10-21), etc.!
- Vending machine for LNHS band room (to include reeds, oil, marching gloves, flip folder pages, etc.) - Cost unknown
- Semi trailer for transporting instruments, uniforms, etc. - Cost unknown
- Scholarship funding for HMS/SVMS/LNHS students - specifically, funds for summer band camps, honor ensemble participation, private lessons fees, etc. (These are NOT currently in place, so we would be looking for someone to help create them AND acquire ongoing funding for them.)
- New Eagle Band attire for the Directors/Coaches/Staff - Help us dress for success! (We cannot use our school budget money for this, so we would welcome funding for new polo shirts, matching staff jackets, hats, etc.)
- New 6' silver flag poles for the guard - approx. $500-600 for 30 poles
- Two tarp carts for winter guard floor tarps - approx. $250 each
- Batteries - 9V, AAA, AA (You would be surprised how many of these we burn through in a year!) - Cost varies by unit
- Recruitment wristbands, stickers, candy, etc. - Cost varies by unit (contact Kelsee.Gardner@lps53.org to help with bracelets and/or stickers!)
Directors Do Things, Too!
LNHS Wind Symphony
Screaming Eagles Marching Band
Screaming Eagles Drumline and Percussion Ensemble
Screaming Eagles Pep Band
Screaming Eagles Jazz Band
LNHS Musical Pit Orchestra Director
LNHS, HMS, SVMS
LPS MS Honor Symphony Founder & Conductor
MMEA State Band Vice President
MMEA District #3 President-elect