Ruby Falls and the larger Lookout Mountain Caverns complex have been designated a National Historic Landmark. It is often associated with the nearby Rock City attraction, which lies atop Lookout Mountain.
As for the history of Ruby Falls and the cave, it was said to be accidentally discovered by Leo Lambert upon looking for an alternate entrance to the Lookout Mountain.In 1928, Leo Lambert and a team of excavators found a breathtaking waterfall located over 1,120 feet below the surface of Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, TN. Lambert named the falls after his wife, Ruby, and opened the area as a public attraction in 1930. Today, Ruby Falls welcomes thousands of visitors each year. Come tour the falls for yourself and see why it has been one of the best Chattanooga attractions for over 85 years.
The original natural entrance of Lookout Mountain Cave was sealed off due to construction of a railway.
Tourism and Advertising
Ruby Falls is the perfect name for a breathtaking waterfall.
- Ruby Falls is a waterfall found in the subterranean area of Tennessee’s Lookout Mountain, in Chattanooga, in the United States.
- Ruby Falls is found in a cave carved into limestone rock, and the cave has been formed by water erosion.
- Ruby Falls is formed by an underground stream that is 341 metres (1120 feet) below ground; and the falls are accessed by an elevator.
- In 1930, Ruby Falls cave was opened for tourism, and the caves were among the first to feature electric lights for tourism purposes.
- ‘Ruby Falls’ was named after the wife of Leo Lambert, who was called ‘Ruby’.
- Ruby Falls is 44 metres (145 feet) tall, making it the largest underground waterfall open to visitors in America, while the cave is the deepest with public access in the United States, and it is considered as one of the most amazing waterfalls in the world.
- Ruby Falls is a popular tourist destination, and it has been mentioned multiple times throughout literature, particularly in song lyrics.
- Ruby Falls requires an entrance fee to access the falls, and groups are guided by a designated staff member.
Visit Ruby Falls
1720 South Scenic Hwy, Chattanooga, TN
Contact : 423.821.2544
No rain and always a nice
60 degrees at Ruby Falls!