The Rebel Crier
December 2, 2022
In This Issue
- Free Meal Update
- Senior Parents Senior Enrichment Experience (SEE) Meeting
- PJ Day for the Kids
- NHS Tutoring
- 9th Grade School Counseling Update
- Students in Action!
The free meal program ends at the end of this month. Please see the letter linked here for information about how much lunch will cost beginning on January 2, 2023 and information for applying for free or reduced lunch.
Senior Enrichment Experience (SEE) Is Coming!
SEE is a graduation requirement, and we encourage all parents to attend this ZOOM meeting on Monday, December 5th
National Honor Society Free Tutoring/Extra Help is back!
School Counseling Update- Focus on 9th Grade Students
Before the Thanksgiving break, school counselors presented during freshmen Biology courses as part of our developmental guidance curriculum. Our curriculum involves school counselors completing lessons with each grade level 2-3 times during the year to discuss career and social/emotional lessons that are important to supplement students' learning.
The goal of the lesson was to have students explore their in school resources, when to utilize those resources, how to self advocate and how to use effective communication to self advocate. Students were given a resource document of the people and opportunities in the building that can help them. This document is also linked here. We also explored the three components of self advocacy and the components of effective communication, highlighted below.
Students were reminded who their school counselor was and how to set up an appointment with them. Students met with their school counselors during Rebel block back in October, and will work with their school counselor again during course selection for next year sometime in February/March. However, we encourage all students to reach out and meet with their school counselor as often as they would like to discuss academics, career plans, or other matters pertaining to high school.
Freshmen students are also encouraged to sign up with the College & Career Center during REBEL block and/or set up a meeting with their school counselor if they are interested in exploring college and career options, starting their resume, or planning their high school courses to meet their post secondary goals.
The School Counseling Department
Self Advocacy 3 Components
- understanding your needs
- knowing what kind of support might help
- communicating those needs to the appropriate resources.
Components of Effective Communication
- Thoughtful Ideas
- Precise Words
- Respectful Tone & Language
- Active Listening
- Relevant Responses.
Students In Action
Music Students in the Community!
The NFHS Drumline perform in front of the library as part of the holiday light parade.
Congratulations Hayden DiTomaso!
Important Upcoming Dates
- Monday, 12/5: Senior Parent/Guardian Information Session for SEE, 5pm
- Tuesday 12/6: Winter Sports Parent Meeting, 7pm, NFHS Auditorium
- Wednesday, 12/14: Wind Ensemble & Chamber Singers Concert, 7pm
- Friday, 12/23: Early Dismissal, start of holiday break
- Monday, 1/2: Return from holiday break
- Wednesday, 1/11: Symphonic Band & Concert Choir Concert, 7pm
- Friday, 1/19: End of Semester One
News Worth Repeating
Photos of NFHS Events
LEGACY EVENT PHOTOS (Including SPORTS) can be found by clicking on the link below:
Enter online code: 3582E23
Yearbooks On Sale Now!
Yearbook sales have begun!
(Deadline is January 27, 2023)
Order yours today!
This is a special alumni edition that will include dedications to every single grade since 1976.
- Personal ads are also open for senior parents to dedicate messages with photos to their child.
- 1/4 page ad. $75.00 ( 4 1/4" x 5 1/2")
- 1/2 page ad. $150.00 (8 1/2 x 5 1/2")
- Purchase a Personal Ad ( deadline is December 31, 2022)
*If you are a graduate of New Fairfield High School and own a business in town or a surrounding town, please email me, Karyn Randlett. I am collecting a list of alumni with local businesses for a special AD section of the yearbook. email@example.com.