Mill Creek OST
WHAT ARE WE DOING AND WHERE ARE WE GOING?
With the new year, we have started our new clubs: Chess Club on Mondays, Kid Fit Club on Tuesdays, Writing Club on Wednesdays, and Drawing Club on Thursdays. We also have our Commit To Health Council which will meet every other Monday, The council will learn about nutrition, serving sizes, compile opinions & suggestions for snacks and propose snack menus to the administration of JCPRD.
We are super excited about these clubs, our clubs run from 4pm-4:45pm, when your child signed up they committed to participating in the clubs, please note if your child is in one of these clubs, so that they can get the full benefits, we ask that they be allowed to stay until the end.
Along with the new clubs we will continue with our favorites; Art&Crafts and Cooking Club, these will be on various days.
On Friday, January 30th for the Early Release Day we are continuing with our Commit To Health and we'll be going roller skating at Skate City, we will leave Mill Creek at 1pm and return at 4pm. Kids are encourage to wear long socks. They can bring concession or arcade money if you wish, they will be responsible for it.
Spring Break enrollment begins Monday, January 26th. As of now, we will not be combined with any other schools. To register call 913.826.3014 and use these codes for Mill Creek's JCPRD: Monday 27134. Tuesday 27135. Wednesday 27136. Thursday 27137. Friday 27138.
Check the Important Dates section below for even more important dates! Especially February 3rd & 6th!!
Commit to Health...
A Few New Changes
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
Friday, January 23rd
Friday, January 30th, Skate City field trip, 1-4pm
All Day Care Days:
Tuesday, February 3rd, Paddington at Cinemark on the Plaza, 12-4pm
Your child(ren) will need to bring a sack lunch on both days. Remember we DO NOT refrigerate any lunches. It is up to the parents if you wish your child(ren) to bring concession money, they will be responsible for it.
Monday, February 16th, President's Day
SPRING BREAK enrollment begins Monday, January 26th and SUMMER CAMP enrollment begins in February, more details to come.
- Check-In: We will check students in at the Café. If you know your child(ren) will not be in OST please call us at 913.599.5785 or email me at email@example.com. If a student has not checked in with us, we will contact you if we haven't heard from you first.
- Snack: We are kicking off our healthy new year with a new snack menu. We are very excited to report that we have taken the Commit to Health Pledge! In doing so you can expect to see our out of school time participants engaging in more physical activity, learning about good nutrition, and eating healthier snacks while in attendance at JCPRD. Commit to Health is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park and Association and The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Our staff has worked hard to develop a new food service menu that features items that are nutrient dense, low in fat, sugar, and sodium, as well as more fresh fruits and vegetables. Please support our efforts to help students develop healthy eating habits by encouraging them to be open to trying new foods and by reinforcing the benefits of nutritious diet. Healthy snacks and meals improve cognitive function, increase energy, and help children grow strong muscles and bones!
- Homework/Reading time: During snack time your child(ren) can sign up for our homework/reading time that will begin directly after snack (roughly 3:30pm) in the café. We encourage kids to sign up but do not force them. When they do sign up we do expect them to come to the room and QUIETLY do their homework or read for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Activities: Some of the clubs that kids will be able to join are: Chess, Writing, Cooking, Art & Crafts, Healthy New Year, and Engineering. As we progress through out the months, new clubs may be added.
- Outside/Gym Time: We believe it is essential for minds and bodies to have mental health breaks and join in on fitness breaks. Weather permitting we will go outside. JCPRD follows the Shawnee Mission school district’s weather policy. Please remember to have your child(ren) layer up and bring a jacket with their name labeled inside it. We will have structured activities for them to do during this time as well as free play.
- Check-Out: When you come to pick up your child(ren) please remember to WALK IN and SIGN THEM OUT. There is a late charge of a $1 per minute after 6:00pm