Hear text read aloud with Narrator
Microsoft Operating Systems
Narrator is a basic screen reader which reads text on the screen. This application is one of several assistance tools Microsoft Operating System has provided for their users. Within this flyer, users will learn to navigate the Narrator application by helping the end users understand how to successfully use this application. This will give users with disabilities, differences in learning styles, and preferences to hear text read, the opportunity to listen to the text instead of reading it aloud.
Instructions on using the Narrator application:
To open Narrator click the Start button , and then, in the search box, type Narrator. In the list of results, click Narrator.
- Use the keyboard shortcuts in the following table to specify which text you want Narrator to read:
- Ctrl+Shift+Enter: Get information about the current item
- Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar: Read the entire selected window
- Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar: Read the items that are selected in the current window
- Insert+Ctrl+G: Read a description of the items that appear next to the currently selected element
- Ctrl: Stop Narrator from reading text
- Insert+Q: Move the cursor backward to the beginning of any preceding text that has different formatting.
- Insert+W: Move the cursor to the beginning of any text that follows it that has different formatting.
- Insert+E: Move the cursor back to the beginning of any text that has the same formatting.
- Insert+R: Move the cursor to the end of any text that has the same formatting.
- Insert+F2: Select all of the text that has the same formatting as the character at the cursor
- Insert+F3: Read the current character
- Insert+F4: Read the current word
- Insert+F5: Read the current line
- Insert+F6: Read the current paragraph
- Insert+F7: Read the current page
- Insert+F8: Read the current document
Narrator Pop-up Box
This box allows you to navigate your settings:
This icon will be located at the bottom of the screen signifying the narrator is activated.
This box allows you to manage:
Narrator Pop-up Box
- Echo User's Keystrokes
- Announce System Messages
- Announce Scroll Notifications
- Start Narrator Minimized
- Quick Help
- Voice Settings