Las Positas Updates
2/3/23 Volume 2 (25)
Can you believe how quickly January passed by? it is already February, the month of love~
Let us cherish the time we spend with our children by spending a little extra time face to face and a little less with our devices. I know this can be challenging for both the children and the adults, but we can never gain back the time we lose to devices. Let's show our kids that they are worth our full attention and time.
This month we will focus on the IB Learner Profile Thinker.
The IB Learner profile aims to develop students who are thinkers. Students who are thinkers exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
IB students contribute to discussions in a meaningful way. They do not shy away from challenging questions and, once they know the answer, follow up by asking “why?”
Click here for more info on: IB PYP
Catch your child being a "thinker" and tweet it out @laspositaslions or send them for me to share.
Kids Heart Challenge- Kick off is February 8th
Dear Families – Don’t forget, our Kids Heart Challenge starts this week and students who join the team early will get special recognition at our kick-off! Our goal is to have 100% of families join the team and learn Hands Only CPR through Finn’s Mission. Plus, you can help our class win the classroom challenge!
Here’s how you can help:
- Register at http://www2.heart.org/goto/LasPositas
- Complete Finn’s Mission: Watch a 2-minute video to learn Hands-Only CPR, learn how to spot the warning signs of a stroke, and so much more!
- Share with friends and family through social media, text and/or email
Be a Thinker
How can parents help to develop students who are thinkers at home?
- Encourage your child to engage in pretend play, children are naturally curious and imaginative.
- Pause and wait...give your child time to think for him/herself, be patient.
- Don't intervene immediately, it's okay to let your child explore on their own.
- Ask open-ended questions.
- Help children develop hypotheses.
- Encourage critical thinking in new and different ways.
- Encourage your child to retell stories, put on plays with story props.
- Leave time for unstructured play.
- Encourage your child to play and explore outside.
- Encourage Creative Thinking.
- Let your child experience failure, and then let him/her figure out how to turn their failure into a positive learning experience.
- Provide opportunities to visit Children's Museums and Libraries.
Save a life. Follow the traffic laws. 🚗🚙🚛
Don't speed and drive on the right side of the road.
Let's be patient and kind on the road~
What a Thinker Engages In:
Wednesdays - Early Release
Thursdays - Think College Gear
Fridays - wear Las Positas Gear/color
2/4 - Literacy Fair at Las Lomas - 9AM - 12 PM
2/6 - SSC 10:30-11:30am
2/7 - IMS Parent Information Night for 5th Grade Parents in the MPR at 6 PM
2/8 - Food Distribution 10:45am-11:45am
2/8 - Kids Heart Challenge (KHC) Begins
2/8-2/9 - Valentines Day Grams on sale during lunch recess
2/10 - Valentines Day Grams on sale after school
2/15 - Social Media Safety Parent Presentation for 5th grade at 5 PM in the MPR (Parents only)
2/13 - NO SCHOOL (Lincoln Day)
2/20 - NO SCHOOL (Presidents Day)
2/22 - Spring Pictures (optional)