Monday Memo, February 15, 2016
Funkstown School for Early Childhood Education
For the week of Monday, February 15th to Friday, February 19th
OUR VISION: Inspiring Curiosity, Creativity, and Achievement
OUR MISSION: Building a learning environment that meets the needs of every student, fosters mutual respect, and social responsibility which is enhanced by strong partnerships between home, school, and community.
News, Notes and Reminders
CONGRATULATIONS!! Jackie Knable has been hired for the Prekindergarten teacher position at the new Johnathan Hager Elementary School slated to open in the fall of 2016. Though we will miss Jackie, and the special expertise she brings to teaching prekindergarten students, we want to wish her a heartfelt congratulations on her new venture!! Jackie came to Funkstown School from Robinwood Early Childhood Center. This will be a new phase in her teaching career as she joins the team of Pre-K to 5th grade teachers, and principal Kathy Stiles at Johnathan Hager.
ADVANCING PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
The Digital Learning Plan is rolling out around the county. All media specialists and lead teachers were engaged in iPad PD with a trainer (Kevin Trexler), as we did at the beginning of this school year. Remember to keep checking back to the WCPS Training Modules site to access some valuable anytime, anywhere training. Over the next month this site will continue to develop and support great resources for the iPad and MacBook Air.
MACBOOK AIR DISTRIBUTION All Funkstown teachers will be assigned a MacBook Air following this springs PARCC assessments. Stay tuned for more information as it is received.
iPAD PROVISIONING Beginning next week, Monday, February 22nd, all student and teacher ipads will be collected to be ready for delivery to CES where they will be provisioned with new WCPS system tracking software. Vicki Spino will be assisting in the collection and preparation of all iPads. PLEASE be sure to have your assigned iPad available that day to be collected. This does not include any iPads that were purchased and assigned by the department of special education.
- WCPS offers many professional learning opportunities. PD opportunities can be found in this WCPS: https://www.smore.com/4dk1h
DIGITAL LEARNING DAY AND TWITTER CHALLENGE
As shared in our Digital Learning Plan, WCPS is committed to being a Future Ready District. Future Ready is celebrating Digital Learning Day on February 17, 2016, and we would like you to join us. It’s a day that thousands of schools and local communities across the country recognize great teaching practices and showcase innovative teachers, leaders, and instructional technology programs that are improving student outcomes with the help of digital tools. Participation in the celebration is simple: Plan a classroom activity or school-wide event that utilizes technology to enhance student learning and register your activity/event on the Digital Learning Day website. You can also participate by following and engaging with Digital Learning Day on Twitter (@OfficialDLDay) or Facebook and using the hashtag #DLDay in your social posts. Please consider participating in this national celebration, we hope to fill up the Digital Learning Day map with events all over our district!
Tuesday, February 16th
- The first of a four part Learning Party series on Social Foundations and Executive Function will take place this evening in the multipurpose room beginning at 6:00 pm. All Prekindergarten families were invited to attend. We have 14 families who signed up. Everyone will enjoy a light meal before each learning party. The remaining evenings are - Feb. 22nd, Feb. 29th, and March 7th.
Wednesday, February 17th
Thursday, February 18th
- Prekindergarten teachers and students to KinderKonzert at HCC today. 9:30 to 10:30.
- Valerie out today for Leadership Council at CES.
- Monday, Feb. 22nd, Faculty/Staff meeting. (This is a change from our usual day of Tuesday for this month only)
- Read Across American Week/Dr. Seuss' Birthday, March 2nd.
- Kindergarten to Fairview Outdoor School, March 17th.
- End of third marking period, Friday, March 18th.
- Professional Learning Days for teachers - Monday/Tuesday - March 21st & 22nd.
- Spring Break - March 23rd through March 28th.
Valentine Fun with Ms. Cathy in Devon and Melissa's room
Erupting Valentine hearts were fun to create.
A Shout Out and Thank You to Tammy
For calling on her retired teacher friends to once again provide our students with Green Eggs and Ham for Dr. Seuss Read Across America week. Thanks Tammy!!
Melissa and friends paint Valentine hearts with chocolate syrup
Yum! What could be better than finger painting with chocolate syrup?