From the Mixed-up Files
of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler
A survival guide for camping out in an art museum
- Find an old bed, possibly belonging to former royalty, and sleep in it. (No sleeping on the ground for these kids.)
- You will be short on money, but not if you discover the museum's coin fountain.
- Running away means never being cold, dirty, or bored (especially when there are guided tours to follow).
- A P.O. Box is a sound investment even though it's just empty space.
- Automats are the best way to look for cheap and affordable food when you're on the run.
Claudia and Jamie run away to the Met (The Metropolitan Museum of Art). Yep, it's a stuffy, old museum. This isn't the camping out in the woods and killing animals with your bare hands kind of running away, but it's an adventure nonetheless. Explore the Met here.
Questions before you begin
Photos of interest
Streets of New York
Claudia and Jamie move through the streets of New York on their adventure
This is place that you get food. Each door has some kind of food dish behind the door. You put in money, open the door and get the food. It is less expensive than a restaurant.
What does it mean?
Think about it.
Find Indiana on the Map. How far do you think it is from New York? Look it up. Would you travel with your brother or sister from Indiana to New York City? Why or why not? Candy Challenge: make up a plan like Claudia did for your trip.