News from RStar
Week of August 20th
Parking to pick up students? There is a change!
For safety purposes, we will be tightening up procedures at the front of the school.
Parents wishing to park in the parking lot at dismissal should walk to the Art/PreK Door (Door 24) where students will be released by a Rising Star staff member. No need to go to the office anymore.
Need a Car Pick-Up Sign?
A Change to Volunteer Support
MVP (My Volunteer Pal) program is the volunteer program for all Shawnee Mission Schools. MVP connects adult volunteers with students ages Pre-kindergarten to age 18. Volunteer Pals choose from a range of in- school activities, including:
Serving as a lunch buddy
Classroom or school volunteer
Sharing special talents or career interests
Being a friend who listens
Overnight chaperones for USD approved field trips
Chat ‘n Chew
SCHOOL FIELD TRIPS
Steps to Become an MVP Volunteer (please do these steps in order):
- Complete an online MVP application.
- Attend a MVP training session. Combined training and fingerprint screening dates are offered on Tuesdays (see schedule below)
- Drop-in fingerprint screening is available at the Center for Academic Achievement, 8200 W. 71st St., on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30a.m. to 12p.m. and from 1p.m. to 4p.m. Finger prints can only be done AFTER attending a training session.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (913) 993-8750 for more information.
MVP Training Dates
Want to Recognize A Staff Member?!
Make sure you have signed up through PeachJar to receive our digital flyers. This is how we distribute community flyers for upcoming events and information.
Join Our PTA Family!
Want to Help with Chat-N-Chew?
PTA sponsors Chat & Chew 4 times each school year for grades 2-6. Students read a preselected book and spend lunch discussing with their classmates.
Adult volunteers are needed to host each Chat & Chew session. Sign up for one or all sessions.
All materials are provided.
- October 16(2nd), 17(3rd), 18(4th), 19(5th/6th)
- December 11(2nd), 12(3rd), 13(4th), 14(5th/6th)
- February 26(2nd), 27(3rd), 28(4th), March 1(5th/6th)
- April 9(2nd), 10(3rd), 11(4th), 12(5th/6th)
Want to be a Room Parent??
Room parents are needed to plan, organize and run 2 class parties each year: Halloween & Valentines Day.
Room parties are organized by grade and planning time is allotted after the PTA general meeting on September 11 at 7:00pm (Halloween planning) and January 15 at 7:00pm (Valentine planning). These are suggested planning times, however planning can be done at other times.
Please sign up to be a room parent coordinator or a room helper:
- Parent Coordinator: Be the contact for your student's classroom regarding all party planning and supplies. Attend the 2 planning sessions & each room party. Organize parents in your student's classroom to assist during each party. Communicate party plans with your student's teacher.