The Bay Of Pigs
By Jesus Orozco
Bay of pigs
In the early 1960's President Eisenhower authorized the CIA to recruit 1400 Cuban immigrants that were living in Miami and train them to overthrow Fidel Castro. In May 1960, Fidel made diplomatic relations with the soviet union. But the new president JFK, believed that masterminding Fidel Castro's removal would let Russia believe that the US was serious about winning the cold war
Facts About the Bay of Pigs
- On April 17 1961, 1400 Cuban exiles tried to invade the south coast of Cuba called the bay of pigs.
- Cuba is less than 100 miles away from the beaches of Florida.
- Russia made an agreement with Fidel Castro to buy all of the sugar Cuba has harvested.
- The Bay of Pigs led to the Cuban missile crisis.
- Most of the 1400 CIA trained soldiers were either killed or captured.