The Avery Pulse
February 4th, 2024
- February 12th - Late Start
- February 16th - No School (Teacher PD)
- February 19th - No School - Presidents Day
- February 24th - Avery Game Night (more information below)
- February 26th - Late Start
- February 29th - 1st Grade Concert @ 6pm
- February 29th - 3rd Grade Concert @ 7pm
- March 5th - Spring Picture Day
- March 5th & 7th - Spring Conferences 3:00pm-7:00pm (sign ups coming soon)
- March 11th - Late Start
- March 14th - Spring Parties @ 1:45pm
- March 15th - No School (Conference Break)
- March 18th - 22nd - Spring Break
- March 25th - School Resumes
- March 25th - Late Start
Add our calendar to your device!
A Note from Dr. Peterson
Avery Families -
February is here! This school year is flying by.
A few things of special note this coming month:
- School Counselor Appreciation Week - Tomorrow, February 5th kicks off School Counselor Appreciation Week! We are so grateful for all that Mrs. Wallace provides to our Avery community! Let's show our gratitude by sending in a thank you note to show her some of our love!
- Black History Month - We will be learning all about Black Americans in the arts throughout the month of February. This coming week, we will focus on Black American Artists by listening to information on the morning announcements and also adding learning opportunities in the classroom. Additional categories that we will explore are: actors/actresses, musicians, and authors.
- Bus - This coming week, Avery will begin having a bus. The bus will be dropping students off on Bompart between 7:25am - 7:35am. I'm hopeful that this will not disrupt the flow of arrival traffic too much - but did want to make you aware that this will be an added element at both arrival and dismissal. For dismissal, the bus will pick students up on Bompart as well. This means we will need to section off an area in front of school in order to accommodate a space for the bus. We thank you for your patience as we navigate our systems/procedures to make this adjustment!
- Rising Together: Family Work for Racial Equity -This should be a compelling event! Please consider attending if you are interested or available. More information below.
- All-Star Game Night - This is Avery's largest fundraiser of the year! It is an opportunity to come together as a school adult community, play games (bingo, trivia, & more) all while raising money for our students and staff! Last year, because of trivia night, we were able to install water bottle refilling stations across our building and also install a MakerSpace in the library ( Shhh...this is still a surprise for our students!) Installation of the MakerSpace is underway and is due to be completed by the end of next week. There are tables still available AND the live auction items are fantastic! For additional information, see below or click here.
- Friendship Week - Friendship week will be celebrated February 12th - 15th. Additional information can be found in the communication that went out on Thursday, February 1st or below.
- March 5th and March 7th - Spring Conferences are just around the corner! Please take a moment to sign up for your child's parent teacher conference below.
As always, we thank you for your continued partnership!
Hannah Peterson, Ed.D.
Spring Conferences will take place on March 5th and 7th. Please find your child's teacher below and sign up for a time!
Girls on the Run
Is your 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade daughter interested in training for a 5K, making friends, and learning some important life skills? Avery's Girls on the Run program would be perfect for her!
Date & Time: 3:00-4:15pm on Mondays and Wednesdays starting on 3/11 and ending with the 5K on 5/11
To Sign-Up Your Daughter: Please go to https://www.girlsontherunstlouis.org/ or call the office at (314)-862-6266
Parents, are you interested in volunteering or coaching this season? Please fill out this Google Form below!
If you have any questions, please reach out to Claire Pinero, a 2nd
Grade Teacher at Avery, at email@example.com
Avery Parents for Equity February Meeting
For our February meeting, Avery Parents for Equity will attend the districtwide event "Rising Together: Family Work for Racial Equity" and then head to Llywelyn's to socialize afterward. All Avery parents are welcome.
"Rising Together" is on Monday, Feb. 12, from 6:30-8 p.m. at the Givens Elementary School Auditorium.
It’s been 10 years since Michael Brown was killed and the Ferguson Uprising inspired commitments to racial justice. Come learn where that work stands now and how you can lead your family to ensure our community's children have the opportunity to rise together.
Hear data updates from a WGSD administrator, thoughts from Webster Groves High School student panelists, and be encouraged to pivot from thought to action by former district principals and nationally recognized equity leaders Dr. Howard Fields III and Dr. Grace Lee.
Childcare will be provided in the Givens cafeteria. If you plan to use childcare, please let us know in advance by filling out the form at bit.ly/RisingTogetherChildcare.
Questions? Contact Libby Dowdall and Julia Maki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPDATED INFORMATION REGARDING GAME NIGHT!
Human Growth and Development
On Monday, January 22, all families should have received a grade specific email related to Human Growth and Development lessons. Please check your email or visit our website here for more information on lessons and how you may opt-out if you choose.
REPEATED INFORMATION BELOW
Equity in Action Committee Community Recognition
The Webster Groves School District's Equity in Action Committee values and encourages peer-to-peer recognition for equity work. Last year, the EIA just developed and launched a Community Recognition initiative, which provides an opportunity for members of the community to recognize individuals (i.e. students, teachers, parents, friends, community members, etc.), schools, businesses, and organizations who make everyday contributions towards creating and cultivating a culture of dignity that values all human beings within the WGSD. To learn more about this opportunity and to make a recognition, please go to Community Recognition. The deadline is November 17, 2023 and April 19, 2024.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Arrival from 7:40-7:50 AM
Carpool drop-off only in front of school – parents to remain in vehicles with staff members assisting students
Families walking students to school will say goodbye at the external doors
No parking during arrival
Staff members will supervise at the curb
This entrance will be utilized for bus arrival
- Atalanta Avenue
We strongly encourage families to travel only from Bompart towards Glen to alleviate congestion and increase safety
No parking on sidewalks
Staff members will supervise at the curb
Kindergarten and First grades will dismiss out front
Third and Fourth grades will dismiss along the side
Secure Vestibule Entrance (located on Bompart)
Second and Fifth grades will dismiss out front
Back Parking Lot
Staff parking only
No entrance or exit from 2:20-2:50
Want to make a submission to The Avery Pulse?
To qualify for direct distribution to students and families, the
information must be:
- district-sponsored information
- something from a group affiliated* with the district.
- curriculum-related, as determined by the principal, including programs, events, contests and other activities.
*Affiliated is defined as a group recognized by the Board of Education and working
group created soley to work with district staff, students and parents
to raise fund for district activities (PTOs, booster clubs, the
Regarding signs, only signs for school or district groups (sponsored
or affiliated) can be placed on school grounds.
You can read the board policy here
If you are a non-profit organization that doesn't qualify for direct distribution to students and families, you can contact Derek Duncan (email@example.com) who is our Director of Communication and he will ensure that your flyer is posted on the community electronic bulletin.
If your information fits the above criteria, you can make a submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions are due on Thursdays at 5pm