School Newsletter for Parents
For the week of October 26
Happy Friday, Attea families. We hope you had a great week.
Next week will be a busy and fun one, ahead of a long weekend and the daylight savings time change on Nov. 1 (remember, we Fall back and Spring forward). As shown below, Attea's Builders Club is sponsoring an Upstander Spirit Week. Hopefully we'll see lots of students dressed according to the different themes. The week ends with Halloween, but since students are coming to school only two days a week, we are allowing costumes to be worn on Thursday and Friday. Finally, we are so proud of the Attea community effort to support the food drive, and we look forward to more collecting next week.
Have a safe and happy weekend.
Halloween Costume Guidelines
Halloween always is a spirited day at school, and we look forward to seeing students' creative costumes. In order to promote a safe and respectful environment, here is a reminder about costume guidelines:
- Safety masks must still be worn at all times.
- Costume masks that cover the face (and the safety mask) may not be worn.
- Face/body make-up along with hair coloring are welcome, but they must be applied at home, prior to coming to school. Students may not bring hair coloring or make up to apply at school or to share with others.
- Props should not be brought to school.
- Costumes need to be consistent with our dress standards. Specifically, costumes should respect the dignity and sensitivities of all groups of people. They should avoid representations that are inappropriately provocative, excessively violent, or that contain references to drugs or alcohol.”
Remember, it is optional to dress up, and students who attend on Thursday are allowed to wear their costume.
Attea is doing great with the Kids Care Food Drive
Attea Safety Drills
District 34 will meet the state requirements for the required safety drills this year. In our hybrid environment, we have worked with the Glenview Police and Fire Departments to adapt the drills to keep the spacing and separation that are part of our health and safety protocols. Attea's Drill Day - consisting of a Lockdown Drill, a Fire Evacuation Drill, and a Bus Evacuation Drill - will occur this week.
- For the Lockdown Drill students will not be asked to huddle close together and hide. Students will remain at their desks in classrooms and we will educate them about how they can and should respond in such a situation.
- For the Fire Evacuation Drill students will exit the building with their classroom teacher, and we will reinforce proper distancing while leaving the building and while outside.
- The Bus Evacuation Drill consists of a presentation from bus drivers on proper bus safety procedures and emergency evacuation steps.
Video Contest Starting November 1
"Great character has been on display as our community, country, and the world continue to deal with the impacts of COVID-19. This year, the video portion of the Character Counts! in Glenview contest will be available to students in grades 5, 6, 7, and 8. Students are encouraged to recognize the heroes in our community who are supporting us through COVID-19! Individual students, or teams of up to three members, are invited to submit videos between one and two minutes, to illustrate one or all of the Six Pillars of Character."
Video submissions will be accepted starting November 1 and the deadline is November 30. Contest rules and information are included in the video submission form.