From the Middle EMS and ELA
News from the Principal, August 13, 2020
Hello Parents and Families,
I know you can't tell, but I am smiling under my mask. Our teachers and staff have been hard at work getting our learning spaces ready for return to school. We are eager to see our students and ensure that our classrooms and hallways are safe, and also full of joy and learning as we return.
If you know of neighbors and other family members who are not receiving these communications, please pass along this newsletter. Parents and guardians can update email information at any time on the Parent Portal so you receive these emails.
If at anytime, you have questions, please email me.
~Annessa Hart, Principal
We will continue to develop plans for the 20-21 school year with guidance from CDPHE, Tri-County Health, CDE, and the governor's office. Recommendations change daily, and our plan will be flexible and responsive to the changing guidance.
Englewood Schools 20-21 Calendar
The first day of school for all EMS/ELA students will be Thursday, August 27th.
Students can arrive starting at 8:00 am. More details coming soon.
Pencil sharpener (small, handheld)
Pens (at least 10--leave some at home)
Pencils (at least 20--leave some at home)
Highlighters (at least 2 colors)
3" to 4" Three-Ring Binder
Calculator--preferably the TI-30ii (linked here)
Headphones to connect to Chromebook for listening activities
Preparations Under Way
1. Students and staff are required to wear masks at all times while in the building. No exceptions.
2. Students will report in the morning to the same assigned door every day. We will run a "soft start" to our morning. Students can enter the building starting at 8:00 am and either eat breakfast or go directly to the first classroom for study hall. Period one starts at 8:25 am.
3. Students and staff will complete health screens and temperatures checks every day before coming into the building.
4. Students will use the hallways for passing periods on staggered schedule.
5. We will maintain our small cohorts all day long--in classes, in hallways, and at lunch. Cohorts consist of less than 20 students.
6. Students will go through their classes on a BLOCK schedule. Students will have 2 core classes a day (Lang Arts, Math, Science, History), which will rotate every other day. Students will have just 1 elective each quarter that they will attend every day.
7. We will not be allowing visitors (including parents and siblings) in our building for the time being.
8. School will be dismissed in a "rolling release" fashion dependent on how they leave school (by walking, by bus, etc.). This is to ensure that we don't have large groups congregating.
Our Schedules for In-Person Learning
Also, if you need assistance logging into Parent Portal (Infinite Campus), please email Lori_Martinez@engschools.net
Level 2 includes: 1. Daily temp checks/health screens, 2. Staff/students wearing masks full time and social distancing, 3. Frequent surface cleaning and hand washing, 4. Small cohorts with restricted adult interaction (3 adults per group).
If our state, county, or city is placed in "Stay at Home" restrictions, all in-person students and staff will move to "Rolling Remote." This approach is more robust than our emergency remote approach from last spring as we have had time to plan.
Englewood Schools uses four metrics (with Arapahoe County data) to determine if we must shift from In-Person learning to Remote learning. These metrics are based on science, facts and the best interests of our students and staff.