SGE Family Newsletter
August 22, 2022
Para traducir esta carta al espanol, haga clic en "Translate/Traducir" a la derecha de la pantalla. Haga clic en el menu despegable para seleccionar el idioma preferido.
To translate this letter to a different language, click "Translate" on the right side of the screen. Click on the drop-down menu to select the preferred language.
Aug 26 - Women's Independence Day
Aug 30 - Parent Orientation & Title I Information Night (see flyer below)
Sept 5 - Staff & Student Holiday
Sept 6 - No School / Staff Development
Sept 5-9 Substitute Appreciation Week
Sept 7-9 Homecoming Week
7- Hawaiian Day
Sept 9 - Remember 9/11
Sept 14 - Books & Cookies with G.R.A.N.D.S. (schedule coming soon)
Sept 16 - Smart Smiles Screening (info coming soon)
Sept 26 - No School / Staff Development
2022-2023 Student Handbook Update on Cell Phones
"Elementary Schools - cell phones and/or smart watches must be turned off and put away from the time a student arrives on campus through dismissal. Earbuds and headphones may only be used for instructional purposes with a district-provided device."
Luckily at the elementary level, cell phones don't appear often, however, "If a student uses a cell phone, smart watch, earbuds, or headphones without authorization during the school day, the teacher has the authority to confiscate the device and turn it into the principal’s office."
There are a few remaining students who are still awaiting a badge, and we hope to finalize those this week!
Morning Arrival Routines
This is a repost on morning arrival procedures while we're still learning routines for the year!
- SGE doors open at 7:15am.
- Beginning Monday, August 22nd, visitors will be required to check in at the front office with their ID if planning to walk a student to his/her classroom or drop a student off at the cafeteria. Visitors are not allowed for breakfast.
- Students planning to eat breakfast at school should arrive by 7:30am.
- Stay in your car! The teachers on duty will assist with the unloading of your student. If you prefer to unload your child, please park in a parking spot and walk your child up to the doors.
- Walk-ups! If you park on a nearby street and walk your child up to the campus, please do not block any driveways. Our school neighbors appreciate your cooperation! To ensure your child arrives to the campus safely, please walk your student up to the campus rather than sending him/her to walk alone. The back doors on campus are for bus riders. The front doors are for car riders and walkers.
- Students who would like to eat breakfast should report directly to the cafeteria. (It is important to remind your student of this morning procedure.) As students finish their breakfast, they will join their class in its hallway holding area.
- Students who have already eaten breakfast prior to arriving at school will report directly to their hallway holding area.
- School begins with the first bell at 7:40.
Visiting for Lunch
- All lunch visitors MUST check-in through the front office and receive a visitor's badge. Please have your photo ID available and wear your printed visitor badge where it is visible for all staff. Any visitor NOT wearing a badge sticker will be escorted to the office and required to check-in at the front office. The badge authorizes access to the cafeteria ONLY. Lunch visitors are not allowed access to the classroom/playground/etc when visiting for lunch.
- Lunch visitors MUST be listed in Student Skyward access. Visitors coming for lunch with our Bulldogs must be listed in Skyward as a family member or contact to be allowed to eat with a student.
- Lunch visitors must sit at designated tables during lunch time.
- Students with lunch visitors may not invite classmates/friends to sit at the visitors' table.
- Any outside lunch brought to enjoy with your student may not be shared with other students at anytime due to state nutrition guidelines and requirements.
- Due to supply issues, any lunch visitor must provide his/her own lunch. Visitor meals can not be purchased through our cafeteria at this time.
How do I request a change in transportation?
- Submit an email on the same day as the transportation change request by 1:30pm to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include the following details in the email:
-student's full name
-student's grade level
-student's homeroom teacher
-the transportation change you want made for today (bus to car, car to bus, etc)
In order to ensure a smooth dismissal process for all students, requests made after 1:30pm will not be processed. Notes, phone calls, text messages and emails sent to any other email will not be processed.
Click this link to view transportation contact information, bus service registration, and an FAQ regarding bus transportation.
Car Line Dismissal Procedures at SGE
First day dismissal was treacherous as expected! But, we're happy to say that we've completed dismissal by 4:00 on both Thursday and Friday. Once routines and kinks are ironed out, the carline should be done by 3:45pm each day! Hang in there! We're grateful for your patience!
Please see the traffic flow map above.
Form one, single-file line on CR 200. Once off of CR 200, you may merge to either the PK/Kinder lane (yellow arrows) or the 1st/2nd grade lane (blue arrows).
If accessing the parking lot, drive past the cones and enter the driveway via the fire lane (red arrows).
Make sure to be in the correct grade level line during dismissal. Parents of pre-k and kindergarten students should enter the lane that is on the far right (yellow arrows). Parents of 1st and 2nd graders should enter the middle lane (blue arrows).
Please do not cross the grey box until after 3:15pm. SGE uses a system called CarRiderPro. CarRiderPro is a safe and efficient way to streamline the dismissal of car riding students at the end of the school day. Students are issued a tag for their car. Similar to the way a TxTag is scanned as it passes under a card reader, CarRiderPro scans the car tags as they pull through the line which then cues students inside the building to line up. The card reader starts reading car tags at 3:15.
Hang your car tag on the rearview mirror with the numbers facing out so personnel can read it.
Car seats - If your child is in a car seat, please position the seat nearest the sidewalk-side of your car (back seat, passenger side). If your student needs help buckling during dismissal, please pull up beyond the car lines to assist as to avoid holding up the line.
Stay in your car. The teachers on duty will assist with the loading of your student.
Watch for the person directing traffic. The person directing traffic will send cars from each lane and will alternate between lanes.
Stay in your car and in the car line. Even if you forgot your car tag, stay in line and we will come to you to check your ID. If your child has loaded the car, please stay in the car line and wait for the wave of cars to pull forward rather than pulling around them.
Safety first! Please do not allow your child to hang outside of the car windows or sunroof while traveling through the car line.
***No in-person pick-up after 3:00pm until the car line is finished. As we work to dismiss our students in a timely and orderly fashion, we must keep the front entry/exit doors uncrowded. As a result, parents needing to check their students out must do so before 3:00pm or after the car line is finished. This is a matter of safety as we work to dismiss a school full of elementary children.
Shady Grove Elementary School
7:15am Office Opens
7:40am School Begins
7:45am Tardy Bell
9:00am Students not in attendance are marked absent
1:30pm Transportation changes due, please email: email@example.com
3:20pm Student Dismissal
4:00pm Office/School Closes