How to recognize the signs
Will your adolescent drop out of school?
Your teen may be at a higher risk of dropping out if they:
- are failing one or more courses
- have little or no interest in school involvement
- show more interest in seeking full-time employment
- are hispanic and living in a single-parent household
- have permissive or disengaged families
- come from a lower socioeconomic level
- have changed schools mulitiple times
- have shown a variety of behavioral problems
- show signs of depression
Dropouts don't occur overnight
Most of the warning signs of adolescent dropouts begin to show as early as elementary school. If you take steps now to evaluate your risk, there are many things you can do to reduce the chances that your teenager will drop out of high school before graduation.