Clarks Creek Chronicles
May, 2017 - News and Notes to Keep You Connected
A Note From the Principal
Wow! How did we get to the end of the year already?? It's sneaking up on us very quickly, and I wanted to be sure to give you some end-of-year information that will be important for the summer and even for the beginning of the new school year.
If you've been in the building lately, you've probably seen lots of boxes around! We have about ten teachers moving classrooms for next year. Our classrooms and the whole main office must also be vacated by the end of the day on May 24th in order for the contractors to take over the space that very next day. This will give us the best chance to get back into the building with some preparation time before school begins again on August 1st! For that reason, teachers who are moving and those of us in the office have begun packing what we can. Please ignore our mess and know that the HVAC updates, office reconfiguration, and new classroom and computer lab spaces will all help us provide even better education for students and service for our families. All the dust will be worth it!
If you should need to communicate with the office over the summer, our phone line will still be working during open office hours. The office will be closed from June 14th to July 13th . If you need to come in before or after that time, you may visit during summer hours. The office will be open from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., but closed from 11:30 - 12:30 each day for lunch. To access the improvised "office" space, you will enter through door 5 on the south side of the building. From there, you will go immediately up the stairs and on the right you'll find our office in the library during the construction project.
I hope you have a wonderful summer full of family memories!
PLANNING AHEAD FOR NEXT YEAR
ALL STUDENT INFORMATION - whether returning to CC, moving, going to the middle school, or otherwise - SHOULD BE UPDATED IN POWERSCHOOL BY THE END OF SCHOOL on MAY 23rd.
- Returning Students - April 17th, an email was sent out asking you to update and verify your student's information in PowerSchool. This will be a quicker and more efficient way to update our returning students' profiles and replaces filling out the forms that you have done in the past. Parents who had not already created a PowerSchool Parent log-in have been contacted over the past couple of weeks as a reminder to do so, as that is a necessary part of the registration process.
- Departing Students - Please also log on to your PowerSchool account to update your student's information. There is a place to click that you will not be returning.
- NEW STUDENTS (Including Kindergarteners!) - See the note below.
- Students in grades K-4 will "step-up" to meet all of the teachers in the next grade level at the end of May. Students will interact with all of the teachers in their new grade level so that they can learn about what they should expect in their new grade level and meet those who will be teaching them, supervising them at recess, and so forth.
- Classroom rosters will be finalized one week before school begins. At that point, you will receive an email letting you know which teacher your child has been assigned and will receive a letter from that teacher. As a reminder, we are unable to publish full rosters, as had been done in years prior to this school year, because of student privacy concerns.
- We were hoping that we could still host a "Meet the Teacher" and supply drop-off night before school starts, but we are unsure of when we will be able to get back into the building due to all of the construction projects. At this point, we will not schedule one. If, in mid- July, we see that the project will be completed earlier than anticipated, we will let you know if we are able to hold this event. If not, students will just bring minimal supplies for the first few days, and parents will be able to bring in all of the rest of the supplies on parent orientation nights. As always, we will have plenty of parent volunteers available to help students get to class on the first few days.
DO YOU KNOW A FAMILY MOVING TO PLAINFIELD or STUDENTS ENTERING KINDERGARTEN?
Click the Link Above to See the Website Calendar
- 5/15 & 5/16 Math Facts Challenge Reward - Dome Theater Planetarium
- 5/15 High Ability Program Parent Meeting at 5:00 gr. K-2, 6:00pm gr. 3-5 - invitations have been sent - central office board room
- 5/16 First Grade KidsFit 1 Mile Race - 1:00pm @ PHS track
- 5/17 Kindergarten Screening All Day - Main Office
- 5/17-5/19 Summer Reading Book Fair
- 5/18 4th Grade Spelling Bee - 10:30am - gym
- 5/18 First Grade - Step-Up
- 5/18 3rd Grade Wax Museum 1:30 - 3:00 blacktop by the playground
- 5/19 5th Grade Breakfast - Breakfast served 7:30am; Program begins 8:15am
- 5/19 Grades 2-5 Step-Up
- 5/19 Final PRIDE Convo of the Year! 2:30pm - gym
- 5/22 Kindy 500 - Kindergarten - grassy area behind the playground 9:00 a.m.
- 5/22 First Grade Math Carnival - all day in LGI
- 5/22 5th Grade Kickball Tournament - afternoon
- 5/23 First Grade Picnic during lunch
- 5/23--Last day of school for students; report cards go home
- 5/23 ALL PARENTS should have completed registration for students for next year or marked that your child will not be returning in PowerSchool
- 5/27 Plainfield High School Commencement 11:00am
IMPORTANT End-of-Year Message from the Cafeteria
Just a reminder, there is currently a NO charging policy for breakfast and lunch. PLEASE keep your child’s lunch account current with money for lunch. If your child eats breakfast at school PLEASE make sure the account is funded for that as well. If your child’s account is in the negative and he/she does not have a lunch from home, he/she will have to call home to have a lunch or money brought to them.
Buy One Get One Free - Summer Reading Book Fair!
Much to Celebrate!
- Lindsey Stevenson was named the Clarks Creek Teacher of the Year! Congratulations, Mrs. Stevenson!
- Mr. Van Paris and Mrs. Decker were recognized for outstanding and dedicated service to youth by the Plainfield Optimist Club.
- Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Warren have both announced their retirements from teaching. Mrs. Smith, one of our LQA assistants, will also be retiring at the end of school. We will miss these ladies greatly but wish them well in their newfound free time!
- Congratulations to Sophia Colgan, a first grader who was recognized at the last board meeting as the honored student for the value of "Respect for the Environment."
Walkathon was a HUGE success! Thank you to everyone who helped as a volunteer or who contributed to this school fundraiser. Your generosity is always astounding!
Notes from the Nurse
End of School Reminders From
ALL Medication must be picked up by 4:00 pm on the last day of school. Due to construction and having to pack up my office, it will be difficult to return any medication after this time. Any medication not picked up will be properly disposed of. Please email or call me with any questions.
Parents of 5th grade Students
Next year, students currently in 5th grade are required to have had 1 Meningitis, and 1 Tdap vaccine. These can be administered any time after age 11 and is required to enter 6th grade.
Please remember – Students not up to date on vaccinations at the beginning of school next year will be excluded from attending school until those requirements are met per Indiana State Code (IC 20-34-4). If your child has a medical or religious exemption a letter is needed at the beginning of every school year.
Thank you for assistance in this matter. Please feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any questions or concerns.