Long Hill School Newsletter
September 9, 2022
Message from the Principal, Mrs. D'Aiuto
We have had an exciting and busy first week of school. It is so great to have our students back in the building. I wanted to thank all of our families who have helped make this such a smooth transition back to school. The LHS staff and I are looking forward to a great school year!
A copy of the 2022-2023 school year district calendar is provided below. This has all our early dismissals, no school days, and other important district days. Please refer to this calendar throughout the school year. Also included at the bottom is a link for the LHS Policies & Procedures.
- Thursday, September 15: Back to School Night, 6:00pm
- Monday, September 26: No school - Rosh Hashanah
- Wednesday, September 28: Fall Picture Day
- Wednesday, October 5: No school - Yom Kippur
- Monday, October 10: No School - Columbus Day
Breakfast and Lunch
Important information sent from the school district on August 25, 2022:
Shelton Public Schools has opted into the School Meals Assistance Revenue for Transition (SMART) funds, which provide meals (breakfast and lunch) at no cost for all students, at the beginning of the school year. These funds will cover the cost of one breakfast, and one lunch per student per day. SMART will NOT cover a second lunch, nor "a-la-carte extras". Please note that meals at no cost to all students will not last all year and we anticipate this program will last through the month of OCTOBER . We will keep families updated as to when this program will expire.
*** Because this SMART transition program will expire, it is critical that households submit a free-and-reduced-priced-meal- application, as soon as possible to determine a student's eligibility for this school year and to avoid unpaid meal charges. ***
Completing and submitting an application will also help your child's school raise additional funds, to help us make meals available to all students at no cost for as long as possible.
Note: Households that do not submit a free-and-reduced-priced-meal application, or whose child is not directly certified, will automatically default to Full Pay when the SMART funds end.
Please find the complete FRAM packet below attached or you may find the application located on the district's website. Please return all completed application forms to the school. If you would like a copy sent home, please contact the main office.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: We are a nut free school. Please be cognizant of this when packing lunches and snacks for your child. If your child brings in a product containing nuts, your child will not be able to eat it and it will be sent back home. Please note, we do not have snacks to pass out.
Back to School Night
- Please report directly to your child's classroom at 6:00pm.
- There will be two sessions to accommodate parents with multiple children.
- This is not an event for children - Students and siblings are NOT ALLOWED to attend. Please make appropriate arrangements for your child(ren).
- The purpose of this evening is to give you an overview of what your child will be learning this school year. This is not a time for individual parent/teacher meetings.
- If you need IC portal access, please stop by the main office during the evening.
Afternoon Parent Pickup
- Parents will not be allowed to the rear of the building until 1:35pm on early dismissal days and 3:35pm on full school days.
- There will be NO access for parents or vehicles until 3:35pm when the chain is removed by a staff member. Please DO NOT park in the front and walk to the back of the school if the chain is up.
- Please be cognizant of this because we can not block access to the school and back up traffic on Long Hill Avenue.
Please understand there are classes outside until that time, therefore there is no access until 3:35pm to ensure the safety of our students.
- Census verification form - make sure you have made any necessary changes on this form as well adding emergency contacts (as they will be the only people permitted to pick up your child).
- Permission to Photograph form
- Electronic Information Resources Access Agreement
Playground After School Hours
Message from the PTO
- PTO Membership drive open NOW. Pay via https://lhs-pto-membership-dues-2022-23.cheddarup.com or cash or check. Fliers sent home. 2 Classes that comes closest to 100% PTO membership will earn a reward from PTO. Last day to register Oct 30, 2022.
- First PTO meeting of the year on Sept. 20th - 6pm - 7pm in media room.
- October 6th - Save the date for Family Fun Night. Food Trucks, DJ, Games, Bounce House, Raffles and lots of fun. Detailed flyer coming soon.
- Upcoming Fundraisers -
- Fall Spirit wear fundraiser - September
- Escape Room - October
- Popcorn - November
- Shoe Donation Drive - November
- Book Fair in the week of Oct 17th - Oct 21st. More information to come.
- LHS 2022-2023 Yearbook Photo Submission Link https://images.jostens.com/ 02ns1ii9vRcZVDs1HKegnUA to get featured in our Yearbook.
- World Teacher's Day is on Oct 5th. Since its a holiday PTO will celebrate on a different date by organizing treats for our beloved teachers and school staff. Sign up genius will be shared with more information.
- Save the Date - First Annual Trunk of Treat will be held on Friday, October 28. More information to follow.
- Rewards program to support PTO – Box tops, Amazon Smile, Big Y and Stop and Shop grocery bags
- Join us on Facebook by searching LHS PTO SHELTON or https://www.facebook.com/groups/969539826920560
Address: 565 Long Hill Avenue, Shelton
Phone number: (203)-929-4077
Fax number: (203)-929-8250
LHS Policies & Procedures: https://www.smore.com/1uhka