Hickory Highlights-Sept. 2, 2022
Hickory School Hours - 9:25 am - 4:10 pm
Translate the Hickory Highlights into your Native Language!
HICKORY CALENDAR 2022-2023
- Mon., Sept. 5- NO SCHOOL - LABOR DAY
- Thur. Sept 8 - PTO Meeting - 7pm- Hickory Innovation Lab
- Wed. Sept. 14-PTO SPIRIT DAY -Rise 'n Roll Bakery, and Cabin Coffee
- Mon. Sept. 26 - Fri. Sept. 30- Book Fair
- Fri. Oct. 7th - PTO Fall Walkathon Fundraiser
- Fri.., Oct. 7th - LAST DAY TO PAY TEXTBOOK RENTAL FEES
- Mon. Oct. 10th through Sun. Oct 23rd - FALL BREAK NO SCHOOL
- Thurs. Oct 27th - PICTURE RETAKE DAY
- Tues., Nov. 8th - E-LEARNING DAY -students learn from home
Book Fair Volunteers Needed
The Fall Book Fair is taking place next month (September 26 - 29). Mrs. Dunn is looking for parent volunteers to help with various tasks (setting up, tearing down, personal shopper). For every shift, a parent volunteer will receive a $5 book fair credit.
Please remember that parent volunteers must have a current background check on file with Avon Schools. To confirm that your background check has been approved and is current, please reach out to the Hickory office.
To sign up to volunteer at the book fair, please go to: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b4aa4a628a1fc1-fall
Congratulations to Hickory Leaders of the Month for August!
1st Grade Leaders
3rd Grade Leaders
4th Grade Leaders
From the Hickory Cafe' Manager, Mary Cantlebarry - A la Carte sales start Monday (grades 1-4)
The Hickory Café will start selling A la Carte items to our 1st through 4th grade students on Tuesday September 6th. Kindergarteners can buy water, juice, and or milk. If you don’t want your child to purchase extras, you can change it in Titan or email me at: MECantlebarry@Avon-schools.org.
Please be aware that we are not selling everything item each day. For example: Chips will be one day and Ice cream another for now. Extra Fruit, Vegetables, Entrée, and drinks will be available daily, unless we unable to get products.
Thanks for your help and understanding in this matter.
A la Carte Prices:
Extra Fruit or Vegetable- $0.75 each
Peanut Butter & Jelly : $1.50
Extra Entrée: $1.50
Ice Cream Cone: $1.00
Ice Cream Bars: $1.00
Ice Cream Cup: $0.75
Bottled Water: $0.75
Cookie: $0.50 (Fridays only)
Juicy Juice: $0.75
4 oz. Juice: $0.35
PTO Meeting - Thursday, September 9th
All parents who are interested in participating in this year's PTO events are welcome to attend.
Meet the 2022-2023 Hickory PTO Board Members!
PTO President- Lindsay Jenkins
My name is Lindsay Jenkins, I am excited to be your PTO president for the upcoming school year.
My husband Tom, and I have 3 children. Meredith is a 5th grader at AIW, Natasha is in 3rd grade, and Derek is in 1st grade. We also have our family cat Stella. I work weekends as a Labor and Delivery Nurse on the Childbirth Center at Hendricks Regional Health. I also sub nurse as a school nurse for the schools here in Hendricks county. In my free time, I enjoy reading and traveling with my family.
PTO Vice President-Jessie Pendygraft
PTO Secretary-Alex Prock
A little about me - I am 33 and will be married 10 years to my amazing husband Derek. We have three kids together Riley, age 9, a 4th grader, Ezra, age 7, a 2nd grader, Liam, age 3, in pre k. I also have an awesome bonus daughter Bailey, age 14, a 8th grader. I have been a stylist for 14 years now and a stay at home mom. We have two crazy dogs (Hopper and Bella!) We enjoy spending time as a family and making memories together.
PTO Treasurer-Wendy Fowler
PTO Co-Treasurer- Elizabeth Everett
PTO Staff/Teacher Appreciation-Susie Vandewalle
PTO Spirit Nights Chairperson- ChiaYee Ang
PTO Teacher Grants Chairperson-Chelsea Ostermeyer
Hi! My name is Chelsea Ostermeyer, mom to 1st grader Maren!
I am the 2022-2023 Hickory PTO Teacher Grant Chair.
I have been a flight attendant for 14 years at Republic Airways. My husband, Kraig, is a pilot there as well. We are an aviation family for sure! One of our favorite things to do is travel. We also love to go to the movies when we can find the time. Maren keeps us busy with Colts JR Cheer and girl scouts. Kraig is an avid collector of all things antique, focusing on Coleman lanterns. I love crafting at home and shopping when I can. I am looking forward to an exciting and busy year ahead!
From the Hickory School Treasurer-Mrs. Rhonda Harris TEXTBOOK RENTAL
Dear Hickory Parents/Guardians:
Second statements for Textbook Rental were sent home on Wednesday, August 31st. Thank you to the parents have already sent in checks or cash, and those who paid their Textbook Rental fees online. It is imperative that each student's book rental payment is paid for the benefit of all students attending Avon Community School Corporation.
How to Pay: Textbook Rental can be paid to Hickory via cash, check (payable to Hickory Elementary), or by paying online through E-Funds. ($1.50 fee for the e-check/banking account option OR $2.95 fee per $100 for debit/credit card use)
Payment Plans: Please contact Mrs. Rhonda Harris with any questions or to set up a payment plan.
Free and/or Reduced: If you feel you may qualify for free or reduced lunches and textbook fees, the Free/Reduced application can be found at: https://family.titank12.com/ . Click on "Apply for Meals" and complete the online application form.
Per ACSC district policy, all unpaid textbook balances will be submitted to Kinum Collections.
Your Child's Attendance is Important to Us!
To this end, we want to review the attendance policies and expectations.
1. After the fifth (5) day missed, a courtesy letter will be sent out to parent/guardians informing parents that absences are beginning to accumulate.
2. After the eighth (8) absence, a second attendance letter will be sent home stating that an excessive number of absences have occurred.
3. After the tenth (10) absence the school will work with the family to create an attendance contract.
4. Upon the fifteenth (15) absence, excused or unexcused a referral will be made to Project Attend.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child's attendance, please contact the Hickory office at 317-544-6300 or email the attendance secretary, Rene' Wright at email@example.com.
Notes from the School Nurse:
- If you think your student may have trouble with bathroom accidents at school, please have a change of clothes available in your student's backpack. This is particularly typical at the beginning of the school year for our youngest Hickory friends!
- If your child has needed to borrow clothing from the clinic for a potty accident or spill, please wash those items and return them to school. This helps to keep items available when friends need to borrow them!
Thank you for your help with these important matters!
Amber Walker RN
Hickory Elementary School Nurse