BW Update - March 14, 2022
Message from Ana C. Riley, Superintendent of Schools
RIDE Launches Public Comment Period for Statewide High School Graduation Requirements
Dear BWRSD Community,
As part of the Rhode Island Department of Education’s effort to reimagine the high school experience and revise the statewide high school graduation requirements, it has launched the period of public comment for the updated regulations. Seven public comment sessions will be held across Rhode Island beginning on March 22 and going through early May.
The period of public comment is now open during which the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) will hold public hearings and is required to be a minimum of 30-days and include at least 2 public hearings. RIDE plans to hold a public comment period that is 57 days long and includes 7 public hearings, with at least one held in every county, to make sure all voices are represented. Public comment is accepted both in the form of writing, and in the form of verbal testimony during RIDE public hearings. Members of the public are invited to submit written public comments via email to Olivia Smith at Olivia.Smith@RIDE.RI.GOV.
Below is a list of important dates and locations pertaining to the public comment period and RIDE public hearings. Please note the one that is scheduled in Bristol on April 6 at Rogers Public Library from 4-6pm.
Full Schedule of Hearing Dates and Locations:
- March 22, 2022, from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at CCRI Knight Campus in Warwick (400 East Ave, Warwick, RI 02886)
- March 31, 2022, from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at Kingston Free Library (Potter Hall; 2605 Kingstown Rd, Kingston, RI 02881)
- April 4, 2022, from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at Woonsocket Public Library (303 Clinton St, Woonsocket, RI 02895)
- April 6, 2022, from 4:00-6:00 PM at Rogers Public Library in Bristol (525 Hope St, Bristol, RI 02809)
- April 12, 2022, from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at Providence Public Library (150 Empire St, Providence, RI 02903)
- April 14, 2022, from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at Adams Public Library in Central Falls (205 Central St, Central Falls, RI 02863)
- April 26, 2022 from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at Newport Public Library (Program Room; 300 Spring St, Newport, RI 02840)
The Public Comment Period ends on May 3, 2022.
For more information, here is the link to RIDE’s website to learn more about this process and to access the proposal to revise the statewide graduation requirements.
With our children in mind,
Superintendent of Schools