2020-2021 Start Of Year Update #2 August 7, 2020
From The Principal
Friday, August 7th was a fantastic day! Collins homeroom teachers began calling their families at 9:00 AM and didn't finish till 4:00 PM. What we believed would take a few hours in the morning took the day because of the needed and important conversations shared between teacher and family.
The teachers shared how important your conversations were to them. They felt your positivity, kindness, and encouragement for this new school year. Our hope is you felt the same way. If your child's homeroom teacher was unable to reach you they left messages and tried several numbers through the course of the day. We know families' schedules are very busy and demanding and apologize if we were unable to make connection. The homeroom teachers and learning communities will be sending an email at 3:00 PM on Monday, August 10th for our "Virtual" Meet the Teacher. This will be your child's opportunity to see and hear from teachers and other Collins staff via video.
Our experiences Friday taught us we need to update our plan for the "First Day of School". A description of "First Day" is found later in this newsletter.
Together we are learning the truth that "The only thing constant in life is change" especially during this most unprecedented time. Thank you for taking this crazy roller coaster ride with us - there is no other with whom we would rather take the trip!
With Warm Regards,
- Technology Distribution 1 PM - 4 PM Front of Collins
- School Supply Distribution 1 PM - 4 PM Back of Collins (for purchased packs only)
- Email to parents with Video Meet The Teacher 3:00 PM
Tuesday, August 11th
- Technology Distribution 9 AM - 10:30 AM Front of Collins
- School Supply Distribution 9 AM - 10:30 AM Back of Collins (for purchased packs only)
Wednesday, August 12th
- First Day of School 2020-2021
- See teacher emails for first day activities
August 12th - August 24th
- All students online in remote instruction
Thursday, August 13th
- Breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
Wednesday, August 19th - Friday, September 4th
- Parents/guardians of students with the most significant needs begin on campus (Campus will make personal contact for identified families)
Monday, August 31st
- In-Person learners with Last name alphabetical group... Only A-C on campus with regular school hours (transportation/lunch/masks worn)
Tuesday, September 1st
- In-Person learners Last name alphabetical group... Only D-J on campus with regular school hours (transportation/lunch/masks worn)
Wednesday, September 2nd
- In-Person learners Last name alphabetical group... Only K-Q on campus with regular school hours (transportation/lunch/masks worn)
Thursday, September 3rd
- In-Person learners Last name alphabetical group... Only R-Z on campus with regular school hours (transportation/lunch/masks worn)
Friday, September 4th
- All students online in remote instruction
Monday, September 7th
- Labor Day - Student/Staff Holiday
Tuesday, September 8th
- All students enrolled in Traditional In-Person Instruction - On Campus (transportation/lunch/masks worn)
- All students enrolled in Remote Instruction - continue Online/Remote Instruction
School Supplies Distribution
Families that purchased school supplies by the mid June deadline may drive through the back of Collins (off Gosling Road) on the following days/times. Your purchased pack will be placed in your trunk.
Monday, August 10th 1 PM - 4 PM
Tuesday, August 11th 9 AM - 10:30 AM
This is the same window as technology distribution. Please note Technology distribution is the front of Collins off Shadowbend and School Supplies will be distributed in the back of Collins off Gosling.
If you prefer to keep your child's purchased supply pack at Collins it will be placed in the homeroom class.
We do not have any extra school supply packs available for purchase.
Back of Collins
For those of you that have signed up to receive a Chromebook, we will hold our Chromebook distribution on Monday, August 10th from 1:00-4:00 PM and Tuesday, August 11th from 9AM - 10:30 AM. Please email Mr. Barnhart if you need a Chromebook. firstname.lastname@example.org .
Front of Collins Intermediate
ALL students MUST log in to canvas on Wednesday, August 12th and complete the First Day activity. During 9 AM - 11 AM, teachers will schedule class virtual gatherings by homeroom. This virtual class party is optional but highly encouraged. We will make phone calls in the afternoon to whomever cannot make the morning zoom. Fine Arts will provide an interactive opportunity in the afternoon.
We want to make the first day as fun and interactive as possible. Together we can make August 12th a memorable and meaningful start to the school year!
Attendance on First Day of School
Any student who did not engage or make contact with the campus/teacher on August 12 will be unenrolled per TEA’s rules. Parents must contact the campus registrar to reenroll.
What does ramp up and In Person Learning look like at Collins?
We are so excited to be getting closer and closer to the beginning of school, and we can’t wait to finally be able to work with your students.
We know that your family’s needs may be changing rapidly, and we want to remind you that we are here to help. If you require any assistance, including food assistance, clothing assistance, counseling resources, or something else, please fill out our Google form. This will let your child’s counselor know that you need something, and we will assist in any way we can. You can access the link here. If you need food assistance, we are also including a list of Mobile Markets in August. You can access that link here.
Nurse Kendall Update
The following is from the Conroe ISD Roadmap to Reopening website regarding masks and medication:
Students in third through twelfth grade are required to wear a cloth mask/cloth face covering or non-medical grade mask while at school unless they provide a written medical exemption from a physician. The CDC has indicated that it is unknown if face shields provide any benefits as a source control and are not recommended as a substitute for cloth masks/face coverings or non-medical grade masks. However, TEA has indicated that students can wear full-face shields in lieu of masks. Students whose families do not want their child to wear a cloth face mask/cloth face covering, non-medical grade mask, or face shield for any reason other than a medical reason should select the Remote/Online Instruction option for their child.
Any medications used to treat symptoms consistent with COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, headache, sore throat, and body aches will not be administered without a current healthcare provider’s note. This would include metered dose inhalers, cough and cold medications, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. At this time, nebulized medications will not be administered during the school day.
Conroe ISD Technology Help Desk
Online Curriculum Access Videos
Beginning Thursday, August 13, curbside meals will no longer be free for all students. Breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
- Families are asked to pick up/purchase meals for all of their children at the campus of their oldest child.
- Meals will be available curbside at all campuses on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 AM - 12 PM.
- Multiple meals will be distributed at a time.
- Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/2 lunch meals
- Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/3 lunch meals
- A student meal card must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up.
- This card is located in Parent Access and can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone.
- Any change from a cash transaction will be applied to the student's meal account.
- Pre-payments can be made at www.myschoolbucks.com.
- Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the Child Nutrition website.
Questions? Please contact the Child Nutrition Department at (936) 709-8185.
Meal Prices for 20-21 School Year
Child Nutrition is encouraging parents to make payments on their student's account via www.myschoolbucks.com before meal service periods. This will allow students to move through the serving lines more quickly and limit the handling of monies. Menus are posted on the serving lines in the campus cafeteria, on the Child Nutrition website and are attached to the Collins website.
Full price student $1.50
Reduced price student $.30
Non-student meal and second meal $2.50
Full price student Lunch $3.00
Reduced price student Lunch $.40
Non-student meal and second meal $3.75
Free and Reduced Applications
Please make sure to "Opt In" to receive texts from Collins. Thank You!
Thursday night, Dr. Null gave a live update on YouTube. Anyone who missed the update can view it on the Conroe ISD YouTube Channel. For information related to a specific topic, please see the times below. A Spanish version of this video will be posted next week.
- 0:09:40 – What happened at the Budget Hearing on Tuesday night? Will my tax rate decrease?
- 0:18:50 – What impact do the COVID-19 cases in Montgomery County have on our schools?
- 0:21:48 – What would keep us from being in schools?
- 0:25:48 – Will I be notified if there is a positive case at my child’s campus?
- 0:28:08 – Will students and teachers be required to wear masks?
- 0:30:30 – What do students need to do to “report” to school on August 12th?
- 0:50:55 – How will Conroe ISD ensure academic honesty especially in our high schools where GPA is so important?
- 0:55:38 – What will happen with extracurricular activities this year? What about football season?
- 1:03:00 – Is there an advantage in participating in Remote/Online Instruction versus Traditional In-Person Instruction?
Are You Following Us?
Collins Twitter Account
Collins Facebook Account
The Conroe Independent School District (District) as an equal opportunity educational provider and employer does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment matters. The District is required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Board policy not to discriminate in such a manner. For information about Title IX rights or Section 504/ADA rights, contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA coordinator at 3205 W. Davis, Conroe, TX 77304; (936) 709-7752.