Titan Talk Newsletter
September 6, 2019
- 9/9 - PTSA Meeting @ 8 am in the Teacher Lunchroom
- 9/10 - Picture Day...Place orders with Cady Studios
- 9/10 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/11 - Soccer Game at Sandy Springs @ 5:30 pm
- 9/12 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/12 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/12 - RHS Open House @ Roswell High School
- 9/12 - Parent Focus Discussion Group @ 6 pm in the Media Center (RSVPs ONLY)
- 9/13 - Soccer Game at Elkins Pointe @ 5:30 pm - Go Titans!
More in September...
- 9/16 - 8th Grade Georgia Trip Roommate Request Form Due!
- 9/17 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/17 & 9/18 - Volleyball Try-outs (Boys/Girls) in the Gym, after-school
- 9/18 - Katha Stuart Meeting: HSES @ 9:30 am
- 9/18 - Jr. Beta Club @ 4:15 pm to 5 pm in the Media Center
- 9/19 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/19 - Student Council Meeting @ 8 am in Room E-106
- 9/19 - 6th Grade Bring Parents to 1st & 2nd Periods, arrive between 8:35 am to 8:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/19 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/19 - Parent Focus Discussion Group @ 6 pm in the Media Center (RSVPs ONLY)
- 9/20 - SGC Meeting @ 7:30 am
- 9/20 - Soccer Game at Elkins Pointe @ 5:30 pm
- 9/20 - 8th Grade Night @ Roswell HS
- 9/20 - RHS vs. MHS - Location: Roswell High School @ 7:30 pm
- 9/21 - Titan Advantage @ 9 am to 12 pm
- 9/24 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/24 - “Don't Stop Achieving” Family Night @ 6 pm
- 9/25 - Reflections Entries Due by 4 pm
- 9/26 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/26 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/26 - 6th Grade Tailgate Party @ after-school
- 9/27 - Soccer Game at Taylor Road @ 5:30 pm
- 9/27 - 8th Grade Night @ Milton HS
- 9/28 - Titan Advantage @ 9 am to 12 pm
- 9/30 - Lost & Found donated at the end of the school day
Important to Note:
FALL PICTURE DAY
Place your order with Cady Studios here
PARENT FOCUS DISCUSSION GROUPS
WITH PRINCIPAL BOUNDS
September 12th and September 19th
@ 6 PM in Cafeteria
Each group will have 20 parent slots per focus group.
Click here to RSVP
PLEASE TAKE PRINCIPAL BOUNDS'
PARENT INPUT SURVEY
6TH GRADE BRING YOUR PARENTS TO SCHOOL
FIRST PERIOD or SECOND PERIOD
September 19th in the Media Center
All 6th grade parents should come between 8:35 AM - 8:45 AM
DON'T STOP ACHIEVING FAMILY NIGHT
September 24th @ 6:00 PM
All parents, students, and families invited
to attend a night all about student achievement
ALL PARENTS & FAMILIES ARE INVITED on September 24th for "Don't Stop Achieving Night" in the Media Center at 6 PM.
Family Success Night includes:
- Literacy and Math presentation by Mrs. Meredith Tongue - "Study Hacks, Apps, Tips, and More…How to work smarter, not harder using great resources!"
- "Advice from AVID High School Students" on how to be successful in middle school and high school.
- Guest Speaker Mrs. Monica Meng, from Educated Pathways @educatedpathways and the MHS College and College and Career Center, will give information on the 4-year path to college.
- Information on Infinite Campus and Rosetta Stone from Parent Liaisons.
*Translation services available at this workshop. If you have transportation or childcare needs, please call Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles or Koritza Rodriguez at (470) 254-2892.
Message from the Principal
The safety of every student is critical, so please help us to start every day safely. This is the reason I must broach the issue of carpool safety. Students should never be in a position to cross the carpool lane or bus lane. Parents, please do not park in the carpool or bus parking lots and then instruct your student to walk across the lanes of traffic. This practice is extremely unsafe. It puts students in danger and puts drivers at risk of hitting a student accidentally. Please refer to the safety guidelines and map here. I ask parents to take a moment to review the restricted areas during mornings and afternoons by reviewing the EPMS Carpool and Parking Saftey Guidelines.
On Monday, we will be welcoming a new School Resource Officer. Officer Allen Jones has been reassigned to Johns Creek HS. Officer Jones has been an asset to our school and community for the past three years. Although he will now be a Gladiator, he will always be a Titan.
I look forward to meeting with the first of the Parent Focus Discussion Groups on September 12th. The second group will be on September 19th. There are a few slots still available, RSVP here. Please take a few minutes to take the Parent Survey.
Congratulations to Malikah Williams, our 2019-2020 Teacher of the Year, for being recognized by the Historic Roswell Kiwanis. Ms. Wiliams is an asset to the Titan family. Congratulation to the August "212° Award" recipients: Seth Gamba, James Tongue, Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles, Amelia Outland, Krissy Campbell, and Courtney Taylor. These teachers and staff members were recognized for going the extra degree daily to get great results from our students.
Thank you, Elkins Pointe families for an amazing "Get Connected Night." It was wonderful to see club sponsors, teachers, students, business partners, and the PTSA come to connect. Our PTSA arranged "Get Connected Night," and provided dinner from Ippotito's. Please show your support and appreciation to the amazing Elkins Pointe PTSA by joining and donating to "Team Up With the Titans!"
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Elkins Pointe Middle School
"Every Day, Every Student, College & Career Bound: Go Titans!"
NO BAKE SALES!
Give once and be done. All year! Now is the time to make your donation to “Team Up with the Titans!” There’s still time. If you have forgotten or simply lost your blue membership form, that’s OK! Just visit https://epms.memberhub.store to make your donation today.
You can donate to the EPMS PTSA through your company’s annual giving campaign, including payroll deductions. Many companies match contributions to 501(c)(3) organizations. Ask your student’s grandparent(s) to make a donation too! Any amount is welcome and truly makes a difference.
All of the money donated to the Team Up with the Titans fund supports our students. This is our ONLY fundraiser for the entire year, so don’t put it off any longer. Help us make it a great year for Elkins Pointe Middle School! Questions? Email email@example.com
THINGS TO NOTE:
Carpool & Parking Safety
8th Grade FASTPASS Carpool Privilege
- Arrive prior to 4:05 pm.
- Pull all the way forward to make maximum room for all cars.
- Do NOT pull into the parking spaces. This is a safety issue and your pass will be revoked.
- No speeding into the Employee Parking Lot
- Please be respectful to teachers who are trying to leave work.
If you are not in the Employee Parking Lot by 4:05 pm, you must use the carpool at the front of the school. Pulling into parking spaces is creating an unsafe situation because students should never walk across the lot. Parents who are arriving after 4:05 pm are interfering with teachers trying to leave from work.
NOTE: The 8th Grade FASTPASS at dismissal is a privilege. The Elkins Pointe teachers are very generous to share their parking lot. 8th grade parents need to return the courtesy and above all understand that student safety is the priority. If the Employee Parking Lot becomes a safety issue, FASTPASS Carpool at dismissal will no longer occur and all car riders will be directed to the front of the school.
Early Check Out Note Required - No Calls Into the Classroom
Check-Out Note Required for Early Dismissal:
- A note signed by the parent is required for early check-out.
- The student must present the note to the front office in the morning.
- Students use the “front office approved” note as a pass to leave class.
- Students are responsible for coming to the front office on their own. Calls into the class interrupt instruction.
- Please check out students in between class periods. Leaving class in the middle of instruction is disruptive.
- Check-outs are not permitted after 3:30 p.m.
THINGS TO CELEBRATE!!!
Hot Shots...212° Degrees! Call the Police and the Fireman!
Congrats to the August "212° the extra degree" recipients! You inspire others by your extra effort, care, and attention that goes into creating great results.
Pictured below: (Top) Amelia Outland and Krissy Campbell, Principal Damian Bounds with Seth Gamba (Bottom) Courtney Taylor with Assistant Principal Ida Ward, James Tongue with Principal Bounds. Recipient not pictured: Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles
Student Council Wants You!
Get Connected Night!
THINGS TO KNOW
Picture Day, Get Ready to Smile - 9/10
Attention Parents and Students – Don’t be left out of the yearbook! Cady Studios is our official photographer. They will be at EPMS on Sept. 10th photographing school portraits. Pre-order your pictures at cadystudios.com/portraits. If you have questions, please contact Cady Studios at 1-800-0547-6237.
Titan Tech Support Team - Sign Up by 9/10
FCA - 9/12 @ 7:45 in the Media Center
🍑 Georgia Trip On Our Minds - 10/2-10/4
Thank you to all the 8th graders who signed up for the Georgia Trip. The Georgia trip is full and no new registrations are being accepted. Roommate selection will begin next week.
GEORGIA TRIP MEDICATION FORMS
If your child will need to take medications, please complete the forms and turn in to Mrs. Streeter. Note: This form includes over the counter medications such as Tylenol, Advil, etc. If your child will be bringing ANY MEDICATION on the Georgia Trip, it is a Fulton County requirement to complete these forms below.
GEORGIA TRIP ROOMMATE SELECTION
All roommate slips are due by Monday, September 16, 2019. Students can room four (4) to a room. Each student must complete a "Georgia Trip Roommate Request Form." The form is available with 8th grade Social Studies teachers or you can print it out at home using the link:
If students wish to room together they must do the following:
- Each student must complete their own form by printing first and last name on a slip. * * First AND last names are mandatory on all roommate slips ** PLEASE PRINT
- Find four (4) friends of the same gender and make sure you all agree. Each roommate must fill out a slip, and names must match all both slips. If the slips do not match, the request will not be honored.
- Staple all slips together and submit to your Social Studies teacher by Monday (9/16). Stapling the slips together will ensure students have the best chance of rooming together.
- Late roommate requests will not be accepted. Roommates will be chosen for any late requests or requests not submitted correctly.
- Teachers have the right to veto any request.
- EVERYONE must complete this form, even if you do not have a complete list of roommates.
- If students do NOT have a roommate preference, they can select this on their slip. All students on the Georgia Trip will be assigned a roommate.
GEORGIA TRIP REMIND COMMUNICATION
Please sign up for Remind101 for the Georgia Trip as a way to keep current with all updates.
- Enter this number: 81010
- Text this message: @c4kcg9e
School Store! Come Shop in the Morning!
Come check out all the new goodies we have at the school store! We have some really fun new things to purchase this year, such as:
- Earbud carrying cases
- Vinyl stickers for water bottles/lockers/devices
- Fun animal cable 'bites' for charging cords
- 10 ft. charging cords for iPhone and Android phones
Coming soon! Roswell and Milton bracelets for game days.
Remember that we offer GIFT CERTIFICATES at the school store so that your student doesn't always have to use cash for purchases that they make. Stop by the store in the morning to buy one.
Info on 6th-grade "Take Your Parent to School" - 9/19
6th-grade parents, you are invited to join us for the first two periods of school to see what it is like to be your child! 6th Grade Bring Your Parent to School Day is just in the morning for 1st-period and 2nd-period - ONLY 6th GRADE!*
At the 8:35 AM bell students and parents will go down the hall. Parents will go to the Media Center and students will go to their lockers and classrooms.
What do parents do when they arrive at school?
Parents, please sign-in when you arrive at the Media Center. There will be lists posted in the Media Center with 1st-period teachers. WEB Leaders will help guide you to the Media Center.
Parents who arrive with their child may head down the hall with their child when the 8:35 am bell rings. Parents will go to the Media Center and students will go to their locker.
- Parents who arrive separately from their child may head down the hall between 8:35 and 8:45 am and go directly to the Media Center.
- Parents will be released to the classes from the Media Center after the Titan Morning News and the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Parents may attend for one period or both. If you need to leave earlier or you need to arrive after the 1st-period, we are flexible. If you can only stay for one period, please leave between 1st and 2nd period. If you cannot come until the 2nd period, please check into the front office and you will be given instructions to proceed down the hall.
Note: If you wish to put your child on the bus, parents are welcome to drive to school. Parents are welcome to drive their 6th grader to school and stay with them until the bell rings. It is recommended to take a moment to shop at the School Store before the 8:35 bell rings!
“Don’t Stop Achieving” Family Night - 9/24 @ 6 pm
ALL Elkins families are invited to attend a Family Night called “Don’t Stop Achieving” on Tuesday, 9/24 from 6:00-7:30 PM. The evening will have a quick opener/welcome in the cafeteria and then families can choose 2 sessions to attend. Here are some of the sessions to choose from!
- High School Student Panel: AVID Students from Roswell High School are here to help students learn what they should be doing in middle school to prepare for high school. EPMS students have prepared some questions and they will also take questions from the audience about all things high school.
- Student Hacks, Apps, and Tips: Mrs. Tongue will go through some great resources for students and parents. Students can learn how to utilize technology to work smarter, not harder.
- Infinite Campus How-To and Rosetta Stone for English Learners: Want to stay current on your student’s grades? Our Parent Liaisons, Lisa Cowles & Koritza Rodriguez, will lead this session to help families become more familiar with this great tool. (Ayuda en Español tambien)
- College, Career Pathways, and Dual Enrollment...Oh My! Come learn from about the possibilities for your child in high school and beyond!
- Dual Enrollment in High School: We may be able to get a Milton & RHS AP to lead this session… Lisa’s working on it
THINGS TO DO...
Device Agreements...Return ASAP!
2019-2020 Student Code of Conduct
Fulton County Schools has made its Student Code of Conduct & Discipline Handbook available online in PDF format. Once you have read the electronic version and have reviewed the contents with your student(s), please take a moment to complete the Acknowledgement of Receipt Form by using the provided link below. All parents and student (over 10 years old) MUST sign this form. If you would like a paper copy of the Handbook, you or your student can pick one up in your school's front office.
PARENT PORTAL REGISTRATION, CLICK ON LINKS BELOW:
- FCS Infinite Campus Site
- Infinite Campus Flyer (English)
- Infinite Campus Flyer (Spanish)
- Infinite Campus Video
STUDENT LOGIN INFORMATION:
- STUDENT LOGIN: student's ID
- STUDENT PASSWORD: MMDDYYYY
Have questions regarding your Parent/Student Portal account?
Help is available by calling 470-254-2700 Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
** Once registered for INFINITE CAMPUS, parents are ready for Curriculum Night on August 28th, and students are prepared for the school year!
THINGS TO CONNECT WITH IN THE COMMUNITY
VOLUNTEER @ EPMS
Looking for a way to get involved at your child’s new school?
Do you enjoy recognizing individuals for their hard work? We need a committee lead to help plan our Teacher Appreciation Week in March and our Teacher of the Year celebration near the end of the school year. It’s a fun, creative and very gratifying role. Come help us create an experience for our dedicated teachers and staff!
We also have an opening for a Hospitality VP who welcomes visitors to our school. You’ll be helping with Bus Driver Appreciation Week in October, and Veterans Appreciation in November. In Spring 2020, you’ll help with Katha Stuart Meeting in May and the rising 6th Grader visit in Spring 2020.
Other committees that need your help: Dad’s Club, Youth Day Parade and Talent Expo. Contact Tracy Murphy @ email@example.com or stop by our table at Curriculum Night on August 28th.
School Store Volunteers Needed!
Did you realize we have an amazing school store?? The EPMS school store is a fun and easy way to help out at the school. Open from 8:00-8:50 Tuesday-Friday and your EPMS kids can help out as well if they want! Use link below to sign up.
Contact Kelly Evers for details and to discuss training before 1st day. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our PTSA needs you! We have terrific events lined up for the 2019-20 school year, but none of it can be possible without your help. We are looking for some great parents to take the lead on committees. It’s a lot of fun, you meet terrific people and you help the students in so many ways.
- Dad’s Club
- Do you like planning social get-togethers? Do you have ideas for how Dads can demonstrate their commitment to academics? We need a Chairperson to create unique opportunities for fathers to meet each other, to be more involved and to have a presence at our school.
- Youth Day Parade
- Do you love designing things? Are you creative? Do you enjoy working with your hands? We need a Chairperson to help with the float for the Roswell Youth Parade. This person will manage the float, help with design and see the whole process through until parade day. It’s a very exciting day for our students!
- Talent Expo
- Do you love America’s Got Talent? How about American Idol? Do you love watching kids dance and sing? We need a Chairperson for our Talent Show. This person will help oversee event logistics and help put together a fantastic lineup of acts by our very own Elkins Pointe students.
Our VP of Family Engagement, Tracy Murphy is serving her second year on your PTSA board! Send her an email @ email@example.com if you are interested in these or any opportunities with the PTSA.
PARENT & FAMILY ENGAGEMENT @ THE POINTE
New Parent Orientation - Parent University
- Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles, Title I Parent Liaison
- Koritza Rodriguez, Title III Bilingual Community Liaison
- 10/2 -10/4 - 8th Grade Georgia Trip
- 10/7- Chorus Concert @ 6:30 p.m. in Gym
- 10/11 - FCS Teacher Workday (students off)
- 10/12 - Roswell Youth Day Parade @ 9:30 a.m.
- 10/14 - Columbus Day Holiday (schools closed)
- 10/16 - Katha Stuart Meeting: RHS @ 6:30 p.m.
- 10/17 - 7th Grade Dance Party @ after-school
- 10/21 to 10/25 - Bus Driver Appreciation Week
- 10/21 to 11/1 - Iowa Testing (ITBS) 8th Grade Window
- 10/23 - Picture Retakes with Cady Studios
- 10/23 - Digital Safety Parent University Workshop @ 6 p.m.
- 10/24 - Orchestra Fall Concert in EPMS Gym @ 7 p.m.
- 10/28 to 11/1 - Red Ribbon Week
- 10/29 – 8th Grade Band Cluster Concert @ Milton 6:30 p.m.
- 10/31 - Parent Resource Open House @ 9:30 a.m.
- 10/31 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/4 to 11/8 - Book Fair (set-up on 11/1)
- 11/4 to 11/8 - French National Week
- 11/4 - 6th & 7th Grade Band Concert @ 6:30 p.m.
- 11/5 - FCS Professional Day (students off)
- 11/7 - Student-Led Data Talks @ 6 p.m.
- 11/11 - Veterans Day: EPMS honors our veterans
- 11/20 - Katha Stuart Meeting: MPES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 11/21 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/22 - EPMS RFF Day (EPMS students off)
- 11/25 to 11/29 - Thanksgiving Break (schools closed)
- 12/3 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (English)
- 12/5 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (Spanish)
- 12/10 - Band Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m. ALL grades
- 12/11 - Katha Stuart Meeting: VMES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 12/12 - Chorus Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m.
- 12/12 - Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m.
- 12/20 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 12/20 - Last Day of First Semester
- 12/23 to 12/31 – Winter Break (schools closed)