RCS Middle School Principal's Office
All About the Baseline
Each year, we conduct baseline testing with all of our students in September.
We use a product called "FastBridge" for assessment in reading and math. This testing helps us determine a "starting point" for each student and it allows us to track growth throughout the year.
This testing will not be counted as a grade and is used only to determine if students need additional help in math or reading and it helps us make sure that all students are making growth over the course of the year in both reading and math.
We will test all students at three points throughout the year:
- Baseline testing will be in September
- Mid-year checkpoint will be in January
- End of the year assessment will be in June
What is FastBridge testing?
FastBridge is a universal screening, diagnostic reporting, and progress monitoring tool to combine Computer-Adaptive Testing (CAT) with Curriculum-Based Measures (CBM) for reading and math.
What does FastBridge reading measure?
Reading assesses broad reading ability and predicts overall reading achievement in concepts of print, phonological awareness, phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, orthography, and morphology. Reading is aligned to the Lexile® Framework for Reading.
What does FastBridge math assess?
Math is a computer-administered adaptive screener that measures broad mathematics skills, identifies students in need of additional instruction, and predicts performance on state accountability measures.
How will it be determined if a student needs support in reading and math?
After the baseline testing has been completed, a committee will get together to analyze the data and determine a "cut score," which will be used to determine whether or not a student is in need of services.
After the mid-year testing has been completed, the same process will happen - a committee will review the data to determine if students already receiving services need to continue or if they have made the expected pre-determined goal(s) and can "test out." We will also determine if any other students need to begin services.
At the end of the year, that same committee will review student progress and begin plans for fall intervention.
We appreciate everyone's support with getting this very important baseline testing underway this month. Please let us know if you have any questions!
FastBridge Baseline Testing in Reading and Math (all students) - September 13, 14, 15, 2022
- MS Back to School Night/Open House - September 20, 2022
Lifetouch Fall Pictures - October 4, 2022
Lifetouch Fall Retake date - November 22, 2022
Q1 Honor/Merit Roll Recognition Ceremony - November 28, 2022
FastBridge Mid-year check in Reading and Math (all students) - January 17, 18, 19, 2023
3-8 ELA Testing - April 19, 20, 2023
Q2 Honor/Merit Roll Recognition Ceremony - February 13, 2023
3-8 Math Testing - May 2, 3, 2023
Q3 Honor/Merit Roll Recognition Ceremony - May 8, 2023
5th/6th Grade Carnival/Dance - May 12, 2023
- Lifetouch Spring Pictures - March 14, 2023
- Grade 8 Science Testing (performance) May 23, 25, 2023
- 7th/8th Grade Semi-Formal - June 2, 2023
- Grade 8 Science Testing (written) - June 5, 2023
- FastBridge End of Year Testing in Reading and Math (all students) - June 6, 7, 8, 2023
- GROW End of the Year Celebration - TBD
- Q4 Honor/Merit Roll Recognition Ceremony - May 8, 2023
- Algebra I Regents Exam - Thursday, June 15, 2022 12:00 PM start time
- Earth Science Regents Lab Practical - TBD
- Earth Science Regents Exam - Friday, June 16, 2023 8:00 AM start time
- World Languages Assessment (8th grade only) - Tuesday, June 20, 2023 8:00 am start time
- 8th Grade Moving-up Ceremony - June 21, 2023