September 22, 2014
PASSION is contagious! It touches us in ways that say, I believe in this and so can you--Richard Corwin
News to Roar About
- Thank you to Tamara and Diann for all you do for my kiddos and me!! It is fantastic to work with people that initiate and implement whatever is needed in the classroom. Your desire to brainstorm and find new ideas for the classroom is impeccable. It is encouraging and fulfilling to have such enormous support from you!! Y'all ROCK!!!!
- Thanks Gina for being the kind of friend that not only would give you the shirt off her back but the shoes off her feet!
Mrs. Olson, thanks for bringing Paul Revere and the Sons of Liberty to life...just like the students I have been on the edge of my seat to see what happens next! GO PATRIOTS!
Thank you 1st, 2nd. 3rd, & 5th grade teachers for your great job during testing. Thank you also to Bridget, Jennifer, Lisa, Debbie, Chris and Kathy for your flexibility during make-up testing.
Thank you Lisa Newton for the work you are doing in helping to meet the academic needs of some special friends at Harbins.
Roar to Lauren I. for helping shelve the MASSES of books that were returned to the media center this week!
Chris Rogers, thank you so much for a fabulous lesson to start the blogging process with both Inglett's and Sirmans' classes!!
- Thank you to the first grade team, Sharon Mauney, Meg Petersen, and Tammy Lee for all the help and support each of you have given me while setting up my room! My class would not look as good without all of you and everything each of you have shared with me!
- Thank you to Montine and Melissa for your help with the meeting with our bus drivers! We appreciate your help in making this meeting go well.
- Thank you to Marie for organizing the bus driver and EIP meetings! We appreciate it!
- Thank you to Paula and Jennifer for organizing all of the CogAT testing! All went well as a result of your planning!
- Thank you to our teachers for the great RBES conferences! We appreciate your hard work on your goals!
- The Harbins School Council for a great first meeting!
- Harbins Vertical Team members for an outstanding first meeting! We appreciate your collaboration with our cluster colleagues to increase student achievement!
- Theresa Emmett for going above and beyond for a student! Your investment in this friend is greatly appreciated!
- 1st and 3rd grade teachers for all you did to make the new class formation go so smoothly for the students! Your leadership was outstanding!
- Linda Pulliam and Karen Fryer's class for a great job in Leadership Academy! We enjoyed having your friends with us last week!
- Destiny Rodriguez and Katharine Rule for the great job you did to prepare for your new class to make the students feel so welcome in your room!
- Thank you Trisha Connor and Kishina Woolfolk for helping me with a technology app and building my confidence in technology with my students!
- Thank you Chantel for taking extra care of one of our students at lunch.
- Thank you Jennifer Tatum for being an incredible mentor and friend, you are incredible!
Early Release Dismissal
All buses will arrive at once on both early release days. Please walk your students all the way out to buses. The inside lane will be buses 1-7 and the outside lane will be buses 8-14. Please talk with your students about the order before coming out to dismissal.
Early Release –Nacho Bar Fundraiser for Care Team
We will have our Nacho Bar Fundraiser for Care Team on Wednesday, September 24th. Lunch will be $5 for all you can eat nachos. A drink and dessert are also included. If you are interested in buying lunch on that day, please make sure to sign up on the Google drive under "Nacho Bar Sign Up".
Care Team will provide the chili and nacho cheese. Donations for other items (chips, plates, napkins, etc.) are greatly appreciated! Sign ups to bring something for this event are on the Google drive under "Items Needed for Nacho Bar". Thank you in advance for your generosity!
Paraprofessional Professional Learning
BYOD Visitation Day is Coming Quickly!
Teacher Grants at the Silent Auction
- Welcome to Carrie Spiers who will join us in a support role for 3rd and 4th grade as a part-time teacher. Carrie is a long-time Dacula resident and will start her teaching career at Harbins. We are excited to have her join the team!
- Congratulations to Lauren Idsardi who got a job teaching 2nd grade at Cedar Hill ES. We are proud of Lauren and wish her the best in her new classroom!
- Adrienne Worley will leave us at the end of the week. Adrienne would like to continue being a full-time mom. We wish her the best as she enjoys this priceless time with her babies! Please join me in wishing her the best! Her last day will be Friday, September 26.
As a reminder, we are adding 2nd grade to list of grade levels participating in the administration of ITBS next month. In order to support classrooms with proctors, we will need all staff members to be flexible with availability and participation in testing, proctoring and make-ups. Thanks in advance for your support and flexibility.
Breakfast reminder- KK and 3rd grade visit the cafeteria, 1st and 2nd visit the AP register, 4th & 5th visit the upstairs register. Each site starts out with exactly the same items. We're trying to make sure we don't run out of items at any site but we are still learning how the students like the new menu. We are also trying to remind the students that there is no need for cutlery in the morning, the satellite registers don't have any. On the day that we serve yogurt there is a spoon packaged in the container.
Please review the correct breakfast site with your students and remind them to visit that register first. We have quite a few students wandering around and down to the cafeteria in the morning and we need for students to go to their designated location. Thank you for your support!!
Report Card Timeline
Digital Tools/Resources on the SLDS
If you elect to be a part of this, the dues are $25. You will receive a "Jeans Pass" that can be used any day of the week if you choose to participate. If you are in a position that can't wear jeans, you will receive an "Ice Cream Coupon". The deadline for participating in and paying the dues will be October 1st. This can be done by using MyPaymentsPlus, writing a check or paying cash. One person from each grade level/group should collect the money and complete a monies collected form. If someone pays by cash, the person collecting the money will need to check out a receipt book and write a receipt since it is over $10.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Media Center News
For updates on what is going on in the Media Center check out our Media Center Smore:
Updates on Dot Day, Story Time themes, chances to connect and collaborate and more!
Grade Level Professional Learning
- September 17 RBES Planning during specials- 2nd and Special Areas after school- prof dev room
- September 18 - EIP Mtgs. w/your grade level during specials in prof dev room
- October 1- Tool Time
- October 2- Math Professional Learning
- October 6- 3rd Grade Collaborative Planning- full day- Prof Dev Room
- October 8- 5th Grade Collaborative Planning- full day- Prof Dev. Room
- October 9- Visitation Day 1
- October 10- 2nd Grade Collaborative Planning-full day- Prof Dev Room
Our next faculty meeting will be on September 30 from 3:20-4:30. READ Chapter 2 of our staff book study, Putting the Practices Into Action by Susan O'Connell and John SanGiovanni. You may want to read Chapter 1 for background knowledge, only Chapter 2 is required for our meeting. Bring your book to the meeting with you.
Required Compliance Training
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on October 7th from 1:15- 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read Chapter 2 of Change Leader for our session.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file will be shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning for August when Montine sends out the notification email.
Through the Eyes of a Child
Send your cute kid stories, in detail, to Cindy Truett over email to have them included in the Roar.
Nicole was working with a friend in her office. She was talking with the student and doing something on her computer when she heard a strange noise. She looked around with a puzzled look and said, "What was that?" The student replied in a very matter of fact manner, "That was my bottom." Nicole quickly noticed other "signs" to confirm that to be the case.