September 28th 2015
Today was Sama's last day at CRES, as she will be moving to a new school this weekend. We were very sad to see her go, but we enjoyed celebrating her impact in our classroom all day through some fun activities!
Author Visit from Tyler Whitesides
Thank you Fishers fire department for talking to us about fire safety!
Connor Prairie Field Trip
Volunteer Sign-Ups Are Ready to Go!
We're using VolunteerSpot (the leading online Sign-up and reminder tool) to organize our volunteers.
Weekly opportunities: Right now I have put up a morning reading spot that will take place Monday-Thursday each week. I hope to add math spots soon.
Other volunteer opportunities: I would always love to have parents come in to be a mystery reader or talk about your area of expertise (career, hobby, etc.). If you are interested in serving our classroom this way, please email me and we will set up a time!
We have a birthday picture project that needs to be completed. If you would like to help with this, please let me know and we will set a time up for you to come in.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link below to see our Sign-Up on VolunteerSpot
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on VolunteerSpot.
Our Focus this Week
· Writer's Workshop: How do we refine our books through revising and editing?
· Reader's Workshop: How do character actions affect the plot of a story? How do characters change and grow throughout a text?
· Math Workshop: What are the ways we can add two, two-digit numbers? What addition and subtraction strategies can we use to increase our math fact speed?
· Science: What do we know about sound and light? What do we want to learn about these topics? Can scientists create invisibility cloaks through bending light? (This is our current class wonder.)
Math: Our homework idea for this week comes from Mrs. Brown....
Students can practice their math facts xtramath.org. Tip: If students sign up as third graders, they may miss the addition practice facts. Students should put their grade level as first grade when they sign-up. Then each student can start on addition mastery, moving up when s/he reaches mastery.
Writing: We talked about showing character feelings through text clues and using strong beginnings in our books. Encourage your child to try these skills at home and teach you what we learned at school!
Try out MobyMax by going to https://www.mobymax.com/signin and entering the log in information students brought home in the front covers of their agendas!
Please order books online through the link below. Our classroom code is L9MT8. Thank you!
What's Going on Here at Cumberland Road Elementary School?
Lunch Visits and Background Checks
For more information on background checks and the anti-bullying webinar, please visit: