Don Tyson School of Innovation - October 4, 2020
Can you believe it is already October? We have a busy month ahead of us so mark your calendar with important dates listed below.
I believe one of the most important and unique aspects of the Don Tyson School of Innovation learning model is our CCR classes (college and career readiness). Graduation requirements are embedded in the CCR courses beginning in 8th grade and 6th and 7th grades have state requirements embedded.
CCR serves as an advisory class for our students and among other benefits, this platform allows counselors to be in classes with students on a regular basis. Our counselors are hands-on and truly get to know your student. We also have an amazing team of counselors serving our virtual students.
Progress reports and MAP assessment scores (grades 6-10) will be mailed home at the end of the week for face to face and blended students. Progress reports and MAP testing scores for virtual students will be mailed the week of October 19th (grades K-10).
Data from MAP testing allows us to
- Support your student in setting growth goals
- Determine instructional areas and skills to focus on for your students continued growth
- Project proficiency on state summative tests
- See the skills each student has mastered and what they need to learn next.
Thank you for choosing Don Tyson School of Innovation for your student's education. We value your partnership and invite you to join PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association). Please see the details of PTSA membership at the bottom of this newsletter.
I hope that you are enjoying this beautiful weather. Have a great weekend.
- 10/6 - PTSA Meeting 6:00 p.m. via Zoom
- 10/8 & 10/9 School Pictures hrough CCR classes (SS for 6th and 7th grades)
- 10/9 - Mailing Progress Reports along with MAP Scores to parents/guardians
- 10/14 - PSAT for all 10th and select 9th & 11th (11th and 12th graders will have a REMOTE learning day)
- 10/16 & 10/19 - Remote Learning Days (no students on campus)
10/25 - 10/31- Phoenix Burner 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run
- 10/26-10/30 Spirit Week
- 10/30 - Flu Clinic
Picture Day Information for Face to Face and Blended Students
Picture Day Information for Virtual Students
Program Spotlight: Business/Marketing
Students are learning real-world skills related to entrepreneurship and marketing. Business students are discovering the process of revamping and reopening a small business in the midst of COVID-19. For more information about The Hylton Hangout, please reach out to Mr. VanDenBerg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opportunities start October 1st. This week students have created FAFSA accounts and FAFSA IDs. In the third week of October we will hold FAFSA support days/nights with the help of enrollment specialists at NWACC. We will push the time, date, and additional information out through our Senior student mail accounts, Facebook, and Schoology. For more immediate information please contact click https://twitter.com/FAFSA
The U.S. Department of Education uses the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for federal student aid, including low-cost loans, grants, and work-study. The FAFSA may also determine your eligibility for state and school aid as well. Anyone who plans to attend college should submit the FAFSA.
DTSOI Spirit Week
Flu Clinic for VIA Students
- 6th-12th grade VIA students are expected to check their email twice a day, Monday - Friday.
- VIA picture days will take place in November.
- VIA progress reports will be available October 16th-19th.
- VIA grades 1-2 started to administer the Dyslexia screener last week, and testing will continue through this week as well. The state of Arkansas requires that all students in grades 1-2 must be screened.
Remote Learning Days
We need you in the PTSA!
Please consider joining the Don Tyson School of Innovation Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA). Also, please see the meeting info below.
Joining has never been easier! Simply use the button below to submit your information and to pay the membership dues. That's it! Memberships are $5 and are open to all DTSOI parents/guardians, teachers/staff, and students. If you would like to sponsor a membership, please send $5 cash or check payable to DTSOI PTSA in a clearly marked envelope to the Phoenix East office.
This link allows you to sign up and pay for your membership in the PTSA.
PTSA Officer Nomination Meeting
Tuesday, Oct. 6th, 6pm
This is an online event.
Topic: DTSOI PTSA Officer Nomination Meeting
Time: Oct 6, 2020 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Enter the passcode: 426741
If you would like to nominate someone for the 2020-2021 PTSA Board please email your nominations to email@example.com.
- Vice President
We also need individuals to chair the following positions.
- Membership Chairman
- Fundraising Chair
- Hospitality Chair
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Kelly Boortz, Principal
- Tom Doppe - Grades 7, 9, & 11
- Amy Harrison - Grades 10 & 12
- Shay Hopper - Virtual Innovation Academy Students
- Aurelian Sennett - Grades 6 & 8