MJS Class of 2016
A Newsletter for All Things 8th Grade
Week of May 16, 2016
This is Arts Week!
8 Years Undefeated! Go Mustangs!
For More Photos...
All baseball and softball uniforms need to be turned into the P.E. office (or their coaches) as soon as possible.
Curriculum Spotlight: MATH!
Ms. White is collecting paper towel and toilet paper rolls for next week's fun project. Please send them in with your 8th grader!
8th Annual Recycle & Read!
This Friday, May 13 through Thursday, May 19, Hodgins Library will sponsor the 8th Annual Recyle & Read Event, and everyone is invited to participate. What is it, you might ask? Simply put, our MJS community has been dropping off their gently used books during the school year. Our Library Committee sorts through all titles - infant through adult - displaying them on tables in the library during Recycle and Read. Parents, students, faculty and staff can stop by and pick up books to take home, free of charge.
The library is still taking gently used books for Recycle and Read. So, if you have a shelf of books you would like to part with and pass along to other eager readers, bring them to the library this week. For your convenience, MJS Girl Scouts will have a book curbside collection on Euclid Avenue on Tuesday, May 10 and Wednesday, May 11, 7:40-8:00 am.
End of Year Events
- May 25: Reach Out Assembly 1pm GYM – Don’t miss the best Assembly in the 9 years you’ve attended MJS. Watch as before your eyes your kindergartener transforms into a well-spoken, humble, smart, caring, philanthropic, young man/woman prepared and ready to launch into the next phase of their lives. (Tissues are recommended)
- May 26: Sports Awards 12pm GYM
- June 1: Baccalaureate Mass- 5pm in the GYM - Recommended day to spend with family and friends celebrating your soon to be graduate. Attire - Girls - a dress/skirt and Boys nice pants and a button-down shirt or collared shirt (sweater/sports coat optional).
- June 3: NO SCHOOL - Graduation -4pm GYM - (kids to arrive by 3pm) Party Following at Annandale Golf Club - Try to keep extended family and friends to a minimum as this event was designed for the kids and parents to celebrate together. FYI for first time parents - the girls tend have a change of clothes for the graduation party - remind them they will be on the lawn so shoes without a pointy heal are recommended. Boys wear their concert dress attire that they wore to Graduation. You should be receiving your invitation in the mail soon which includes all the details for the tickets to the Graduation party.
The Wiz on Tour!
We look forward to performing for schools and community organizations that we have a relationship with, but were unable to make it to the show. Please let Mrs. Byrne know if you are able to drive to one of our performance locations.
Tuesday, May 17
- St. Francis Center (6:45am-9am)- just a few volunteers will do a concert version of the show for our friends who come to the Center for breakfast.
- Dolores Mission School (11am-2pm)- each cast will perform a concert version of the show for two separate audiences. We will wear Wiz shirts (no costumes or make-up). Bring a sack lunch (cancel California Fresh if applicable).
Thursday, May 19
- Our Lady of Guadalupe School (10:30am-12pm)- both casts will do a concert version of the show together. We will wear Wiz shirts (no costumes or make-up).
Thank you to Ms. Martinez de la Torre for all the beautiful production photos! Click here to see the slideshow. A video of both the White and Blue casts will be distributed to all 8th graders at the Graduation party.
Sports Awards and Blue & White Day
Friday, May 27 is Blue & White Day! We start the day off with our annual Pancake Breakfast! Then, the 8th graders will lead the rest of the school in field day activities. Early dismissal at noon.
Things to Look Forward to...
- Special Schedule begins this week - see schoology for details
- May 16-19: Arts Week: The Wiz on Tour
- May 17: Dolores Mission Field Trip: Bring a sack lunch (cancel California Fresh if applicable).
- May 19: Our Lady of Guadalupe Field Trip (we will be back in time for lunch)
- May 25: Reach Out Assembly 1pm GYM
- May 26: Sports Awards 12pm GYM
- May 27: Pancake Breakfast/Blue & White Day, Noon dismissal
- May 30: NO SCHOOL – Memorial Day
- June 1: Full day of school, Baccalaureate Mass- 5pm in the GYM
- June 2: Half Day - Last Day of School
- June 3: NO SCHOOL - Graduation 4pm GYM, Graduates arrive at 3pm
8th Grade Advisory Team
Lisa Byrne, Advisor, Play Director, and Co-Team Leader (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chris Goethals, Advisor and Secondary School Liaison (email@example.com)
Juan Garcia, Advisor and Student Council Leader (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ruth Villarreal, Advisor and Athletics Director (email@example.com)