Glen Cove @ Home Newsletter
Home of the Stars
#KeepShining #KeepSafe #KeepLearning
A Back to School Message from Mrs. Mendoza, August 2020
On behalf of the entire Glen Cove Faculty and Staff, welcome to our 2020-2021 school year!!! Over the summer, our staff has worked diligently to prepare for your child's return for online/remote learning. Our teachers have been attending professional development throughout the summer to learn new personalized resources and refine our online teaching practices.
We are very excited to welcome our Stars back for our first day of online school on August 17th, 2020. We have missed our students dearly, and while this year may look different, our teachers and staff are eager to begin building relationships with them now more than ever.
This newsletter will focus on some important reminders and information as we kick-off the new school year:
- Registration Completion
- Chromebook and materials distribution
- Your child's teacher
- Virtual Open House (meet the teacher night)
- School Supply List
- Breakfast and Lunch Information, and
- YISD's Back to School webpage with useful videos
Please continue to stay safe & healthy, and enjoy these last couple of summer vacation days. Thank you for your continued support!
STUDENT ENROLLMENT / REGISTRATION
If you have not completed the 2-step registration process, we will not be able to distribute materials and chrome books to your child. Below is some information for those that have not yet completed the process. If you have any questions, please call us at 434-5500.
PLEASE VISIT THE LINK BELOW FOR A STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR NEW AND RETURNING STUDENT ENROLLMENT AND REGISTRATION. PLEASE NOTE:
- For RETURNING STUDENTS, most of you completed the Online Enrollment portion in the Spring. If you have not, you MUST complete the online enrollment step FIRST, before we can continue with online registration.
- If you completed the Online Enrollment, now you must complete the short ONLINE REGISTRATION process. This process was created to assist campuses by allowing parents to submit/upload all required documents through a secure site online.
Chromebook and Materials Distribution
Yesterday you were sent a message regarding the chromebook and materials distribution schedule for this week. If you did not receive the message, please reach out to us to ensure you receive future calls/texts. Text messages and call outs will be the primary forms of communication between the school and parents. We want to ensure all messages are delivered in a timely manner.
Below is the schedule we will follow for distribution of materials. SSC and ECSE students will be contacted by our staff to schedule a pick up time. PLEASE keep in mind, we cannot distribute any materials if your child has not been fully registered.
You will enter and drive through the front of the school (just like in the Spring), remain in your car, and our staff will approach your vehicle (please wear your face mask upon our approach). Please provide the name of the child and grade. Our staff will verify the student has been registered, then distribute your materials. At this time we will also be having you sign an agreement for the Chromebook and complete an additional mandated form. We thank you for your patience and understanding with the distribution.
Your Child's 2020-2021 Teacher
VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE ~ MEET THE TEACHER NIGHT
Grab n’ Go Breakfast and Lunch
•FREE Breakfast and Lunch will be provided to all GLEN COVE students by DRIVE-THRU process.
•Hours will be from 7:00 am – 11:30 am.
•We will have 3 distribution stations set up around the school to assist with traffic back-up. See diagram below for the grab-n-go stations.
•Students DO NOT have to be present to receive lunch since we understand they will be getting ready for virtual class.
•Parents will have to indicate to staff who the student is and which grade/class the student is in so that we can scan their name in our system.
•Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide BF/lunch to middle school or high school siblings. Every YISD student will be served at their respective enrolled school.
•If you have children in multiple grade levels, you may choose any station with your child’s grade and indicate to staff you are picking up for other children. You must know their class/teacher too.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A STUDENT
2020-2021 REVISED SCHOOL CALENDAR
- Student Registration July 14th- August 6th
- First day of school for students: Monday, August 17th, 2020
- First 8 weeks will be ONLINE / REMOTE LEARNING entirely.
- 1 week of Intersession from October 12-16th, 2020
- Last day of school June 11th, 2021
Online Cyber Safety
- Talking to them about what they are working on.
- Checking their history daily ( if possible)
- Limiting their screen time when they are not doing school work.
- Talking to them about cyber safety and what they can do to stay safe online.
Check out this Net Smart Kids Video that teaches the importance of Cyber safety: