Shigella be Shigone!
What is Shigella you ask?
A bacterium that is passed from person to person caused by poor hygene.
Shigella doesn't seem like that big of a deal. (Why you do NOT want to get it)
It is, in fact in 2013 the average annual incidence in the US was 4.82 cases per 100,000 individuals.
Shigella has declined in the past 10 years. We don't want to be the people to bring it back do we?
More Shigella Info
Where Shigella hides:
In food that has been touched by the hands of people who haven't washed their hands after having a stool.
How you get Shigella:
By eating the food that the contaminated hands have touched.
Crimes/Symptoms of Shigella
- Diarrhea (sometimes bloody)
- Abdominal Pain
- Tenesmus(a feeling of needing to go to the bathroom even when bowels are empty.)
How you can take action and prevent Shigella:
- WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER HAVING A STOOL AND ALSO EVERY TIME AFTER YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM!
- Avoid preparing food after having a stool.
How to prevent FBI's (Food Born Illness') in your kitchen:
- Wash your hands often
- Wash cooking supplies after using in warm soapy water
- Use a different cutting board for meats and fruits/veggies
- Heat up food to the appropriate temperature
- Put leftovers in the fridge not more than 2 hours after taking food out of the oven/microwave.