A Slice of PIE
Where Life and Learning Meet
Volume 13, Issue 4
Winter Holiday Party & Festive Art 🎨
⭐ PIE Superstars ⭐
⭐ Lillah - Grade 3
🗓 Upcoming Events
Winter Showcase - Sharing & Caroling
Tuesday, Dec. 13th, 12:30-3pm
505 6th Street
📝 Please sign up using this form!
Winter Wonderland Skate
Wednesday, Dec. 21st, 1-2:30pm
5001 Joyce Avenue
Powell River, BC
Santa's Podcast on Apple Podcasts
10 Great Ways To Energize Your Homeschool In December - Hope In The Chaos
Take a Holiday Virtual Tour! 🕯
31 Days of Fun Kids Activities for December!
🧡 Mental Health Matters 🧠
The CDI recommends the following 7 Holiday Wellness Tips for your Family:
1. Plan your schedule in advance.
2. Make sure everyone is eating and sleeping.
3. Have realistic expectations.
4. Communicate openly about feelings with your child.
5. Find a quiet place and plan ahead for boredom.
6. Don't worry about other people's judgments.
7. Take care of you.
BC Curriculum Resources
Canadian Mental Health Association: Tips for Getting Through the Holidays
GSA Interest Survey (still open!) 🌈
Vancouver Coastal Health Announcement 📢
Many children have not been exposed to typical respiratory viruses following more than two years of measures implemented worldwide to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. However, there are now several respiratory viruses causing illness in B.C. Some children have had more severe illness in the past few weeks, particularly from influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). This is why it’s especially important for children to get vaccinated against influenza now. In addition to getting vaccinated, keep children home if they’re sick, encourage them to wear masks if they’re experiencing mild symptoms, remind them to frequently wash their hands and teach them proper respiratory etiquette, such as covering their coughs and properly disposing of tissues.
You can also book an influenza immunization for your child in the following ways:
- Book an appointment at a health authority clinic or pharmacy through the provincial Get Vaccinated system: https://www.getvaccinated.gov.bc.ca/s/
- Book an appointment by phoning the provincial call centre (toll-free): 1 833 838-2323.
- Book an appointment with your primary health-care provider if they are providing flu shots.
- Visit a pharmacy or health authority clinic offering walk-in appointments. Pharmacies can provide an influenza shot for children aged five and older.
- If you have already received an invitation for influenza immunization for your child via email and/or text message, use it to book an appointment and get vaccinated.
13: Winter Showcase - Sharing and Caroling (Comox Valley)
21: Winter Wonderland Skate (Powell River)
23: Term 1 Report Cards go home / Schools Close (end of day)
9: Schools Re-Open
17: Pro-D Day
20: BC Family Day
10: Schools Close (end of day)
27: Schools Re-open