4-H Friday News Blast for 3-22-2019
Flood Disaster Help at www.flood.unl.edu
News from FEMA ...
Our hearts go out to all who need assistance. If we can help you in any way, please let us know.
For additional flood recovery resources, please go to www.flood.unl.edu
Bake and Take month ...
Sent on Behalf of Nebraska Wheat Growers Association ...
March is Bake & Take month, a time when wheat organizations encourage others to bake a wheat goods and share it with family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and shut-ins. MAYBE you / your club could bake and take something and give it to someone who needs help during the aftermath of the flood, or give it to someone who has gone above and beyond to help those in need.
A copy of the recipe cards from the Wheat Association can be found here. You can print copies as you wish or request free postcard versions from the NWB office.
More information can be found on their website at: email@example.com.
Summer 4-H Intern in Cass County ...
Enter the 4-H Public Speaking Contest - it's awesome!
Cass County 4-H Public Speaking and PSA Contests deadline is April 8th
The Nebraska 4-H Public Speaking and PSA (Public Service Announcement) Contests helps youth learn and practice skills that are beneficial for a lifetime in their personal and professional lives. Developing self-confidence and effective public speaking skills are two goals of the public speaking contest.
A chart outlining the Cass County Age Divisions, Time Guidelines, Specials Guidelines and Awards will help give your direction when planning your speech or PSA.
- Local Cass County Speech Contest entry form - Registrations are due by April 8th! The County Contest is April 15th.
- 2019 Speech Outline (to be submitted with entry form) - it can be electronically submitted, or brought/sent to the Cass County Extension Office.
- 60 Second PSA Outline (to be submitted with entry form)
- Speech Contest Scoresheet
4-H members in all project areas are encouraged to give speeches to their 4-H clubs and to participate in county, regional, and state contests. Participants prepare and deliver an original speech about 4-H and/or tape a 60 second radio Public Service Announcement (PSA) using the theme: "Inspire Kids To Do."
Go to the State Website http://4h.unl.edu/publicspeakingcontest for:
- Guidelines for writing great speeches,
- How to prepare a 4-H Radio Public Service Announcement,
- Specific rules, or
- Score sheets for the contests
The top three winners in each age division in both Speech and PSA categories of the Cass County Speech Contest advance to the Southeast Regional Competition in Lincoln. At the Regional Contest, Senior division speech and PSA winners will compete for the opportunity to advance to the State Speech Contest at the Nebraska State Fair in Grand Island, NE.
Have you watched a 4-Her at a contest or at the county fair as he/she won a trophy, a medal, some monetary prize, a cash award, or a ribbon? It’s heartwarming. These awards are very special and are usually proudly displayed in a 4-Hers room, in the home, and many times at graduation parties, because they mean a lot!
You could be a part of helping raise this sense of accomplishment, pride, and satisfaction in our young people by becoming a 4-H sponsor. Every person and/or business who supports the Cass County 4-H program is truly appreciated, and will be recognized at the county fair and in our publications. We would like to invite you to that list of sponsors.
Cass County has three ways to sponsor; see below:
1. Friends of 4-H Sponsor: Donate an amount from one of the tiered donor levels (see graphic above). These donations sponsor educational opportunities and scholarships for our 4-H youth throughout the year, as well as the cost of trophies and awards for the county fair. Donors who choose this option are recognized year-round with their sponsorships listed on all 4-H event programs.
2. Specific County Fair Awards Sponsor: County fair trophies are $20.00 each; medals are $10.00 each; and there are some cash prizes. Sponsors who choose this method have their name/business printed on a trophy plate, and are listed in the fair’s show program(s) that correspond with their sponsored award. Please note, we have some unsponsored awards. Contact the Extension Office at 402-267-2205 if you wish to select one/some from this list.
3. Combination Sponsorships: Be a Friends of 4-H sponsor and a specific awards sponsor.
Interested in becoming a sponsor? Do you know someone who would like to sponsor 4-H? Contact the office at 402-267-2205 or email Sondra Buell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Update for State Fair Market Beef DNA Deadline
A note from UNL Educator - Brandy Wagner Schultze: Our hearts go out to those affected by the last week. We are hopeful that state fair livestock shows can provide an opportunity for normalcy and hope for our families.
YQCA Training Sessions: Face-2-Face Training or On-line Training
4-H members, age 8 and up, who take livestock projects which produce food products (Pigs, Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Market Rabbits, and Poultry) need to receive certification in these areas each year. Deadline to complete this certification is June 15th.
Go to www.yqca.org and sign up for a face-to-face training (Brett Kreifels will be teaching again this year) or do the training on-line. Dates are listed on the YQCA link. For the face-to-face training, juniors will begin at 6:00 pm and Intermediates & Seniors will begins at 7:30 pm.
Information Galore ...
- Premises ID numbers - all 4-Hers with market animals are required to have a premises ID number. go to: http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/adt/premises.html Once y ou get your number, bring it to the Extension Office. If you had a number from last year/previous years, you do not need to get a new one.
- Tracy is updating the 2019 fair book. It should be ready soon.
- Collect pop tabs for our community service project - bring them to the Extension Office
- County Fair theme for 2019 - Country Fun for Everyone! Maybe you/your club will want to make a float or a banner for the parade this year. That would be Fun for Everyone!
- Sheep and Goats only need a scrapie tag for identification. https://go.unl.edu/uysu
- Due date updated for Beef DNA envelopes - they will not be due until June 15th. The state office changed the date because of the flooding disaster and the hardship on so many 4-H families across the state with livestock.
- 4-H Curriculum and project books can be purchased at https://shop4-h.org and/or https://marketplace.unl.edu/ne4h/
- As was stated above, the Cass County 4-H Public Speaking Contest will be held April 15th. We want you to enter the contest!
- NAYI (Nebraska Agricultural Youth Institute) applications are due April 15th. This EXCELLENT conference for High School Juniors and Seniors.
Each year before the fair, we get questions about camping at the fairgrounds. Camping spots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a daily rate of $15.00 for every night you stay. The camp grounds are managed by the fair manager, Meggan Roeber. All questions need to be directed to Meggan at 402-499-1060, email@example.com
Tractor Safety Training will be held July 1-2, 2019 at the Extension Office. Register now.
May 3 is the deadline for Horse ID's, Level testing, and entry deadline for the District and State Horse Shows.
Weeping Water Whiz Kidz Scholarship
The Weeping Water Whiz Kidz Scholarship - a local Cass County Scholarship sponsored by the Weeping Water Whiz Kidz 4-H Club. Please send or deliver a completed application form to the Cass County Extension Office no later than April 1, 2019.
2019 Big Red Summer Academic Camps
2019 Big Red Summer Academic Camps are led by Nebraska 4-H Extension and UNL Faculty
The 2019 Big Red Summer Academic Camps, to be held June 9-14, 2019, are just around the corner! New camp for 2019 is Animation! Also offered for this summer are: Engineering, Outdoor Nebraska, Unicameral Youth Legislature, Filmmaking, Teaching, Veterinary Science and Weather and Climate Science.
Big Red Summer Academic Camps are residential, career exploration camps held at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Youth will have the opportunity to explore the UNL campus, meet people from across the country, spend time investigating an interest or potential career, and have a lot of fun! During the week-long camps, participants will work with UNL faculty to explore the topic of their particular camp. After spending several fun-filled days on campus, participants' families are invited to attend a special capstone event where campers will showcase their achievements.
Big Red Summer Academic Camps are open to all youth grades 10th-12th including recent high school graduates. All housing and food is provided for participants throughout the duration of the camp. Partial and Full scholarships available!!! FULL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE for the Discover Teaching Camp! Early Bird registration ends April 15th!
More information about Big Red Camps is also available online at https://4h.unl.edu/big-red-camps
If you have any questions regarding the 2019 Big Red Summer Academic Camp or Scholarship Information please contact Katie Zabel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-472-2743.
Check the calendars below ...
County 4-H Calendar
Livestock DNA envelopes - now available a the Extension Office
YQCA website open for livestock certification
April 1 .... Deadline for Summer Intern Applications
April 1 ... Deadline for Weeping Water Whiz Kidz Scholarship
April 15 .... Cass County 4-H Speech Contest
April 25 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Cass County
May 6 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Otoe County
June 3 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Cass County
June 6 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Otoe County
June 15 .... New deadline for beef DNA for state fair
June 15 ... 4-H Day Camp for kids 6-11
July 1-2 ... Tractor Safety Training at Cass County Extension Office
Aug 7-10 .... Cass County Fair 2019
State 4-H Calendar:
Registrations for Summer 4-H Camp - website now open, earlybird deadline April 15th
CWF 2020 ( Citizen's Washington Focus) - applications still be taken
March 24 - 3rd Annual Tack Swap & Fun Run Jackpot in Central City
March 27 - Deadline to register for Shooting Sports Leader Update. Event happening Friday, April 5th in Central City, NE
Mar 30 - Companion Animal Event at UNL
Mar 30 - Nebraska 4-H Horse Stampede
April 6 - 4-H Dog Clinic called "Kids K9 Clinic" in Lincoln
April 13 - Beef Progress Show in Grant
April 13 - Calf Classic in Seward
Apr 15 - Early bird registration due date for Summer 4-H Camp 15% off
Apr 27 - Spring Rabbit Show in Lincoln
Apr 29 - Next Chapter Statewide Celebration (corrected date from UNL)
May 29 - Horse Judging Contest in Ericson, NE
June 5 - Northeast Nebraska Horse Show
July 8-12 - NAYI
June of 2020 - Citizenship Washington Focus in Washington D.C.
Ag Information & Other Opportunities:
- Wehrbein/Joy Genetics Show Pig Sale ... March 23 at the Otoe County Fairgrounds, 1:30 pm
- Staying Connected During Tough Times ... Resources for Nebraska Farmers, Ranchers, and their Families
- Cornhusker Economics - Nebraska Farm Real Estate Values ... updated 3.13.19
- Recorded session from first Land Management Quarterly
- Nebraska Game and Parks Help Prepare for State Shoot ... Jan 26, Feb 23, Mar 30
- Diversification & the Future of Farming: A Panel Discussion ... April 9 at UNL East Campus
- BeefWatch UNL ... archives
- Nebraska Tower on the Plains Rabbit Breeders Association Spring Show ... Lincoln, NE on April 20th.
- Nebraska Statewide Arboretum’s Spring Affair ... April 27, Lincoln
- GeoScience Field Trip for Nebraska High School Juniors and Seniors (it's FREE!) ... July 12-22, 2019
- Nebraska Extension Publications ... online Library
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, Interim Unit Leader, email@example.com
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sondra Buell, Office Manager, email@example.com
General Mailbox, firstname.lastname@example.org