A Woodland Wildcat Always R.O.A.R.S.
March 27, 2020
A Note from Mrs. Schneider
Hello Woodland Families,
We will try to keep you supplied with important resources and information every week. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your child's classroom teacher. If you are not receiving the Woodland Watch, please contact me via email at email@example.com. Also, please see the Woodland Facebook Page, the Woodland Elementary website and the Avondale School District website as resources for valuable information to stay connected with Woodland and the Avondale community.
Students can return the packets when they return to school. Any questions that you have regarding the schoolwork should be directed via email to classroom teachers. Teachers will be checking their email daily and will respond to emails in a timely manner.
We are thankful for your patience and support as we navigate new learning territory. Woodland Elementary is working together as a team to support students and families. We hope that you will enjoy some valuable family time with your children while they are off for this extended period.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to respond to changing dynamics of the situation. We will put forth our best efforts to support our Woodland families during this time. We are hoping you and your families stay safe and healthy in the coming weeks.
Have a safe and healthy weekend,
"STAY HOME, STAY SAFE" ORDER
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING DATE CHANGE BASED ON GOVERNOR WHITMER'S MANDATED "STAY HOME, STAY SAFE" ORDER.
According to the Executive Order 2020-21 "Stay Home, Stay Safe" issued by the Governor, the mandate is in effect until 11:59PM on April 13, 2020. Avondale School District will return to school on April 14, 2020.
*There will be NO remote learning packet drop off this Monday, March 30th.
Virtual P2 Spirit Week! March 30-April 3
On-line Library Card Sign-Up Available
In light of recent events, the Auburn Hills Public Library has been able to expand our online services to patrons. The AH Library is available to ALL Avondale students. The Library now has a new page that displays more information about our online services (https://www.ahplibrary.org/digital-library/).
Families now have the option to sign up for a library card online. To sign up you need to be:
- Over 18 (we can't offer minors online sign up, unfortunately)
- an Auburn Hills resident (Rochester Hills and Pontiac are offering similar services at their libraries for those residents)
The form can be found at the top of our digital page, linked above! An email will be sent to you with a Library card number and pin, which will be valid for 90 days. After we reopen, you can stop by the Library to get your card in person. For the time being, this card will give you access to all of our ebooks, audiobooks, movies, databases, and learning websites. Although we can't sign up minors, parents would of course be able to check out items for their families to enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions (borrowed from the AMS newsletter for consistent messaging)
- What are the due dates for student work?
- All work is enrichment and review to support previously explored topics. Students are not responsible for any new learning.
- There are not specific due dates.
- We are sensitive to the fact that students have varied electronic capability and this is why there are not specific due dates.
- If a family does not have the electronic ability to turn in work, all paper assignments or paper responses can be turned in when we return to school without penalty.
- What if I do not have a printer?
Students without printers at home do not need to find a way to print, you can write responses on regular paper.
Students should title each page with their name and topic as normal.
- When can I contact my child's teacher or administrator?
- Our staff is monitoring messages and communication daily, Monday-Friday from 8am - 3pm.
- Your message will be returned within one school day.
- Will there be new packets of student work made available at Woodland?
- No. All of our student work packets were made for a three week span of time. There will be no additional work until our return on April 14th.
- We will support one another upon our return. Please be patient with yourself and others.
- Can I go into the school?
- No. There will be NO building access to Woodland until school re-opens.
- We have already made all work available, there is no reason for us to enter the building.
- Items in classrooms and cubbies can continue to be stored until we receive permission to return to school.
- No remote learning drop off this Monday, March 30th!
- How can we stay connected?
- Parents and students are encouraged to communicate with classroom teachers by email. A staff member will return your message within one school day.
- Many teachers have offered virtual connection opportunities.
- Please like the Woodland Facebook page for virtual spirit days and highlights.
Oakland Community Health Network Resources for Families
Oakland Community Health Network (formerly Community Mental Health) is staffed up to be able to provide help for students and other adults during this time of stress.
Resources and more information are available on their website at http://oaklandchn.org/.
Families can call the Crisis line at 800-231-1127 - 24 hours a day. They have text and chat services available particularly for students.
There is also a non-emergency help and substance abuse counseling at 248-464-6363, during the day.
Facebook Announcements and ZOOM Calls with Mrs. Schneider
Woodland staff, students, and parents are encouraged to drop in during our Facebook Live announcements every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:00 am. Mrs. Schneider will also host a live Zoom call on Wednesdays at 10:30. The purpose of this call is to create an informal way to stay connected.
Mrs. Schneider is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Mrs. Schneider's Zoom Meeting
Time: Apr 1, 2020 10:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Wed, until Apr 15, 2020, 3 occurrence(s)
Apr 1, 2020 10:30 AM
Apr 8, 2020 10:30 AM
Apr 15, 2020 10:30 AM (if needed)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 646 678 003
When you click on the link, it will take you to Zoom. You do not need to register with Zoom, but you will be required to download the software. Students can participate with audio and/or video. This can be done on a PC or on a phone.
Positivity Project (P2) #otherpeoplematter
Why Does This Matter? Fairness is associated with highly desirable developmental outcomes. It helps people to become trustworthy friends, responsible citizens, and generally moral people.
Next week we will focus on Humor.
ASD 2020-2021 School Calendar
Avondale School District has announced the 2020-2021 school year calendar. These dates are CONFIRMED (other dates including half-days, PD days, etc. will be provided at a later date).
- First Day of School for STUDENTS: September 1, 2020 (1/2 day) followed by full days on September 2 and 3, 2020 and NO SCHOOL on September 4, 2020 AND September 7, 2020 (Labor Day Observance).
- Holiday Break: December 21, 2020 THROUGH January 1, 2021. (Last day of school before break is December 18, 2020 and the first day of school after break is January 4, 2021).
- Mid-Winter Break: To Be Determined
- Spring Break: March 29, 2021 THROUGH April 2, 2021. (Last day of school before break is March 26, 2021 and the first day of school after break is April 5, 2021).
- LAST Day of School: June 11, 2021
We will provide you with the complete 2020-21 calendar as soon as it is available.