Please continue to screen each day for Covid symptoms
PINK SHIRT DAY!
- K-7 (whole school skate) - Mondays @ 9:00 am
- 5-7 class - Tuesdays @ 9:00 am
Tech - February 28-March 4
It's Ukulele Time!
Mining for Crystals!
March 9 - Ham & Pea Soup with fresh bread
March 23 - Spaghetti & meatballs (veggie option also available)
March 30 - Cake salé with homemade chicken nuggets (veggie option also available)
March Break: March 14-18
March 23 - School Council Meeting
Wilton Cheese Fundraiser
From MPS School Advisory Council
LAND-BASED LEARNING Family Workshops
MPS SAC has received a PRO Grant (Parents Reaching Out) through LDSB that will help fund a series of land-based family workshops, starting on Feb 26!
Over the past few years, our families and students have faced and continue to face challenging situations at school and at home. In order to promote a healthy and safe space for all children and parents, we would like to offer 6 workshops on ‘Forest Schooling’ (2 introduction for parents, 3 family outdoor sessions and 1 sharing circle at the end). A way to connect to the land around us, to each other and allow new experiences and challenges that stimulate childrens and parents heads and hearts. This will be a hands on workshop series where Indigenous pedagogy will be shared and explored. A focus on Indigenous Children’s literature will be shared at every workshop. All workshops will be held outside on the land where families and children are free to explore and interact as needed. This will be an opportunity to rekindle the amazing community within the school and embark on a new educational practice that can be embedded into the weekly life at the school both with teachers and with families.
All sessions will be led by Virginia Claire, a certified Forest School Practitioner with Valid First Aid and CPR. The site we are using is behind the Rink. There is a pond in the woods, where our teachers and students sometime visit for pond science, Terry Fox Run/Walk etc.
Mark your calendar!
Six sessions are scheduled as below:
- Sat. Feb 26, 10:00am-12:30pm: Introduction (for parents/guardians), with kids circle
- Sat. Mar 5, 10:00am-12:30pm: Risky Play (for parents/guardians), with kids circle
- Wed. Mar 23, 3:00-5:30pm (after school): Kids & Family outdoor session 1
- Sat. Apr 9, 10:00am-12:30pm: Kids & Family outdoor session 2
- Fri. Apr 29, 10:00am-12:30pm (PA Day): Kids & Family outdoor session 3
- May (tbd): Sharing circle
Registration required by Wednesday Feb 23 - please sign up at: https://forms.gle/K8wb9ELaLbCN2QUW8
- If you cannot make the first two sessions, no worry - we will share our recording of the Instructor’s talks.
- Join us whenever you can make it - let’s get together OUTDOOR!
- Little siblings are welcome to join us too.
We will be outside about 2-3 hours (rain/snow/shine). Prepare Cold Winter Day Clothing:
- Base layer: Long john shirt and pants made of wool, silk, fleece or polyester; wool socks
- Mid layer: Wool or fleece sweater and pants; fleece or wool neckwarmer
- Outer Layer: Warm, waterproof, windproof and breathable snow suit; warm toque; waterproof insulated mittens; warm waterproof boots
- Extra Layers: 1-2 pairs of wool socks; warm toque; mid layer, 1-2 pairs of insulated mittens
- Optional: Extra boots, hand-warmers, extra snowsuit
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact SAC members.
Hope many of you join us!
Angela Macauley - email@example.com
Judy Gerber van Vliet - firstname.lastname@example.org
Kayo Murakami - email@example.com