Frankenberg's Fourth Grade Friends
This is a copy of what is online:
- I'm so sorry this week's update is so long! Please sit back, make some popcorn, and read on...
- This week we are learning about the properties of soil, modeling multiplication, number lines, idioms, perspective writing, Texas Our Texas, and so much more.
- If possible, by Wednesday, in a plastic baggie, please bring a few tablespoons of soil from near your home.
- Sometime this week with your child, please watch the Texas Symbols and Texas Our Texas videos at the top of this page. Discuss things like why the symbols are significant and what they represent.
- Our class has been invited to The Texas Book Festival to introduce author Chris Barton! Our part takes place downtown and is over in about half an hour. You just need to bring your child there. The event is Sunday, October 26 at 1:30. PLEASE let me know if you are interested. Here is the author's website and the book we will introduce: Attack! Boss! Cheat code!
- He is having a guessing contest right now detailed on his site. Send a note or email to school with your child's guess(es) and I will see that they are tweeted to Mr. Barton. Hopefully one of us will win a free copy of the book!
- Please allow your child to bring a wifi enabled device to school whenever possible. Please see the parent orientation document below for a link to more BYOT resources. I believe every child should be exposed to and comfortable with technology before middle school.
- Also, take a moment to teach your child how to find a wifi connection, what a browser is, and how to enter an web address into an address bar. I will spend time teaching this, but if they already know it or are familiar, it will make for a faster transition, then on with the learning!
- Checkout www.edheads.org/activities/weather and stopdisastersgame.orgfor some weather fun!
- Homework help
- Read and practice math facts every single night. This week incorporate writing into homework. Your child may use the suggested schedule or free-write about their day. I use the "2 roses and a thorn" prompt which is to spark reflections on 2 good things that happened and one not-so-good thing.
- Following is a list of items recently added to the binder:
- Spelling practice ideas: more on this later
- Fact strategies: for your reference when practicing facts at home (children will be expected to be fluent up to the 15s facts (15x0, 15x1, 15x2...15x15)
- Completed Book Challenge: As your child finishes books or texts (not the phone kind!), log them on this page under the appropriate genre. Use this as an opportunity to talk with your child about his or her interests.
- Student Learning Behaviors: For your reference. These are behaviors LISD has identified in students that take ownership of their learning. As the year progresses your child will be able to have conversations with you about these.
- Check out the calendar links to the left or below. There are lots of things in the forecast. (See the weather vocabulary)
- With each new week, I will add a new behavior chart to the Boomerang Folder. We put it in the brads together and I check that the most current week is facing out. PLEASE leave the old behavior chart in place. I will review the Boomerang Folder at the end of the 9 weeks for report card purposes.
- FYI: Your kids call me Ms. Frankenberg. I am working to change my name legally to this. Thank you for understanding. :)
- Have a wonderful week!
Notes to Ms. Frankenberg