with Mrs. Drayton
Dutch Fork Elementary The Academy of Environmental Sciences, Title I
VIP Folders & Reminders
- weekly work
- Camp Gravatt Field Trip, tomorrow 11/16
- Student Holiday, Wednesday-Friday 11/21-11/23
- Holiday Store, Friday 11/30 @ 8:30
- Centennial Celebration 12/7 @ 6 pm
Camp Gravatt Information
Our trip to Camp Gravatt is this Friday! Your child will engage in the following experiences:
- Watershed hike
- Aquatic insects
- Conservation efforts
- Ocean field game
Please send your child in layered clothing and closed toed shoes. We are expecting the weather to be a high of 56 degrees on Friday.
Your child is welcome to bring a portable electronic device for the bus ride to and from Camp Gravatt if you signed the electronic usage form at the beginning of the year from our 5th Grade Parent Packet. Listed below are the electronic usage expectations for our trip:
- devices are not to be shared
- headphones must be used
- games/videos/music must be school appropriate
- your child is responsible for keeping up with his or her device at all times
It may be helpful to send your child with a small bag to hold on to any items (water bottle, portable electronic, etc).
We are looking forward to a fantastic trip!
Book Club Discussion Checklist
- I did the required reading
- I marked key points with sticky notes or in my Reading Notebook
- I prepared by thinking about what I would say in my group
- I stayed on topic
- I shared personal feelings & connections
- I asked questions when I didn't understand
- I listened actively & to learn
- I encouraged others to participate
- I showed that I value my group members & their perspectives
At home: Be certain to ask your child about how his or her book club is going. Review the checklist together and ask how would they like to grow as a book club participant. Ask your child how he or she is being challenged by the book that he or she has selected.
Nonfiction Genre Study
Working to summarize an informational text
As we grow our abilities to summarize more complex texts, we are becoming more skillful at:
- identifying main idea(s) of a text
- determining the central idea of a text, inferring relationships between the main ideas
- providing supporting details/evidence to support the main idea
- using academic language and transitions to connect our thinking
Author's Showcase: Analyzing Themes Post-assessment
I think one of themes are be yourself. I think this because Sofa was scared to show her true Mexican and eat the taco but she begged to get a white sandwich, but after she tried one she loved her taco and she wanted to eat it loud and proud. In the text said "I got offers to trade for sandwiches, but I always ate my taco before heading off to the library." She is start to embrace herself.
Inquiring into the History of DFES
Veteran's Day Parade
The Great Bedtime Story Pajama Drive
Here are some simple guidelines for the pajamas:
- Pajamas must be brand-new.
- Pajamas in all sizes are needed—from newborn to adult.
- Pajamas must be in complete sets or nightgowns.
- Pajamas in children’s sizes must be manufactured as pajamas—this ensures that they are flame retardant and safe.
All donations can be brought to Miss Walker's room.
Thank you so much for your help! Let Miss Walker know if you have any questions