News You Can Use for September 15, 2023
From the Principal's Desk...
Larson Elementary Families,
It has been an amazing start to the 23-24 school year! The last few weeks have been wonderful as students and staff alike have worked hard to make this Larson's best year yet!
In the next few weeks families with students in grades Kindergarten through 3rd should expect communication from teachers regarding the new Alaska Reads Act. Students that have not mastered grade level material will receive an Individual Reading Improvement Plan (IRIP). This will be a partnership between families and the school to make sure your child reaches grade level in their reading ability. This is new for all of us and there will be growing pains as we master this new law. Please feel free to reach out to your child's teacher or the office at any time if you have questions about the process. You may also go to https://www.matsuk12.us/Page/48901 to learn more about the Alaska Reads Act. Together we will make sure every child at Larson is getting the best education possible by the best staff in the district.
As always if you are interested in volunteering at Larson, we would love to have you! Please call the office if you would like to help and we will walk you through the steps required to volunteer in the school.
Family Teacher Association (FTA) News:
The Family Teacher Association is busy planning fun events for students and family members to enjoy! Please consider joining the FTA today. Get involved, have fun and meet new people!
Larson's FTA Presents ColorFALL FunRun!
Registration forms were sent home with students on Wednesday, 9/13. For online ticket purchases, please click on the button below:
Late Start Monday, PLC Information
Join us for Our Annual Title I Meeting/Goodies with Guardians Event!
- Where: Larson Elementary
- When: Thursday, September 28th
- Time: 8:00 am – 9:15 am
Parents/Guardians are invited to have breakfast snacks with their student(s) in the gym, and to hear about our Title 1 Funding. Door Prize Tickets will be handed out, and winners will be posted on our website and Facebook page on Friday, September 29th.
We hope to see you there!
A Reminder from Our Recess Monitors...
This is just a reminder that unless we have a note from a doctor, students are required to go out to recess for 30 minutes each school day.
We look forward to a fun-filled year at recess!
Larson Recess Monitors
Larson Library News...
Howdy Larson Parents!
It’s great to be back in the library with your students again. Here’s some helpful information to make library checkout a great experience.
K-1 Students will begin checking out books at the end of September after we have completed a thorough unit on how to take care of library books. The cost of books, like everything else, has gone through the roof and I want to do everything I can to make sure your child understands how to care for their library books so we don’t have to replace many this year.
Library Tip of the Month
The surest way to keep library books safe is to have a special place where library books are located when they’re home with your child. Library books that have a special place like a shelf or end table to live on are easily found when it’s time to return them.
New this Year
The book check out limit is as follows:
- Grades K-1 can check out 1 book at a time
- Grades 2-3 can check out 2 books at a time
- Grades 4-5 can check out 3 books at a time.
This is to encourage students to read the book and return them in a timely fashion instead of sitting in backpacks unread until it’s time to return them. Books assigned by teachers will not count toward their checkout limit so kids are not penalized for being assigned reading by a teacher.
Free and Reduced Lunch Applications
Attention Cross Country Runners!
Larson x-country is underway! Larson runners will have the opportunity to compete in three different races this year!
- September 14th: Mini -Meet at Larson Elementary – start time 4:30 pm
- September 19th: Knight Invite at Colony High School - start time 4:15pm (parents must transport)
- September 27th: District Wide Meet at Palmer High School – racing starts at 3:00 pm at the Palmer High X-Country Course (bus transportation will be provided from Larson Elementary to the event – students depart Larson at 1:00 pm – parents are responsible for pick up)
Contact Coach Jayme Gueco via email at or via email at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
FTA Popcorn Fridays are Back!
Don’t forget your quarters! Each bag of this delicious treat is 75 cents. For your convenience, we offer a way to prepay for your popcorn! Parents can pre-pay for a whole year of popcorn for $15.00. Prepaid students will be highlighted on the bi-weekly popcorn order forms and will automatically receive a bag of popcorn each Popcorn Friday! (all benefits proceed the FTA)
4th/5th Grade Flag Football is Back for a Second Year!
- 9-1: Team A -vs- Team 1 @ Larson at 4:15pm
- 9-8 Larson -vs- Shaw @ Shaw at 4:25pm (ish)
- 9-15 Larson -vs- Iditarod @ Larson at 4:15pm
- 9-22 Larson -vs- Cottonwood @ Cottonwood at 4:15pm
- 9-30 Jamboree - Held at Cottonwood Creek Elementary - Players must be at Cottonwood by 8:30am. Games should be completed by approximately 1:00pm
Call the front office at 907-352-2300 with any questions or email Coach Lane at mailto:email@example.com.
Fall Picture Day! Bring Your Smiles!
Fall picture day is Thursday, September 21st. Picture order forms went home last week. Orders can be placed by visiting https://www.lifetouch.com. One to two parent volunteers are needed. Please call the front office if you are available to help.
Larson Picture Day Code: EVTQWXJ86
Larson Elementary School Handbook Information
- September 15th: Flag Football Game vs Iditarod (at Larson) 4:15pm
- September 15th: Art Club Grades 4 and 5 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 18th: PLC Monday Late Start Day (10:15 am start time)
- September 19th: Lego Club Session 1, Room 207 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 19th: X-Country Knight Invite at Colony High (4:45pm)
- September 21st: Lifetouch Fall Picture Day
- September 22nd: Flag Football Game vs Cottonwood (at Cottonwood) 4:15pm
- September 22nd: Popcorn Friday
- September 22nd: Art Club Grades 4 and 5, Room 202 (8:00am - 9:00am)
- September 25th: PLC Monday Late Start Day (10:15am start time)
- September 26th: Lego Club Session 1, Room 207 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 26th: FTA Meeting in Library at 4:15pm
- September 27th: X-Country District Meet at Palmer High School (bus departs Larson at 12:15pm)
- September 28th: Goodies with Guardians/Title I Meeting, Larson Gym (8:00am - 9:15am)
- September 29th: Art Club Grades 4 and 5, Room 202 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 30th: Flag Football Jamboree at Cottonwood (8:30am - approximately 1:00pm)
- October 18th: Quarter 1 ENDS
4th /5th Grade Boy's and Girl's Basketball Begins in October - Permission Forms will be sent home in the near future. Check our website for updates!