Home Design of the Future
Grade 9 Academic Science
1. How would you create a "green" environment around your home? Which plants would you include in your design? Why?
Since my home will be located in the temperate deciduous forest, I would plant many deciduous plants and trees such as the Guelder Rose, the Shagbark Hickory and the common trees such as the White Birch and the White Oak. These large trees will provide shade in the summer season, and let light & heat in during the winter season.
2. What plants would you "farm" in your vegetable garden? Why? What types of pesticides and fertilizers (if any?) would you use in your garden? Are there any you would avoid? Explain.
In my future home I would like to have a large garden filled with many different local plants such as, asparagus, beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, celery, cucumber, garlic, lettuce, parsnip, peas, potato, spinach tomato, and more. These vegetables are native to Ontario and I know I will use them in various ways.
I will avoid using all pesticides because I want my plants to stay organic and out of harm. Therefore I will use household compost for natural fertilizer and organic manure.
3. What mode of transportation would you choose to park in your driveway? Why?
Brianna Bryson, who will be a future neighbour of mine and I will carpool with the BMW i8 Plug-in Hybrid electrical car. This car combines the energizing performance of a sports car with benchmark efficiency. Since it is electrical, in terms of charging, we can charge it very easily with a BMW i Charging Station which will be placed on our garage wall. Consequently, with the BMW i Charging Station, our car can be charged to 80% of its full capacity in less than two hours. This car is completely harmless to the environment. It has a turbocharged three-cylinder engine/electric motor duo with a combined 357 hp delivers M3-like acceleration, a 155-mph top speed, and Prius-like efficiency.
4. What types of waste management systems would you include in your home design?
I would use multiple waste management systems. One i would use would be bagster for when I'm renovating/remolding, landscaping, organizing a garage or attic, roofing, and much more.
5. Which endangered species would your family sponsor at your local zoo? Why?
My family would sponsor the orangutan's because we think they are very interesting creatures and there are only 30,000 orangutan's left in the wild.
B) Atoms, Elements, and Compounds
1. Research three chemicals found in your home which can be toxic to humans or you pet.
Drano (clog dissolve), Turpentine (paint solvent), Javex (bleach).
2. Choose one of the chemicals and identify the elements which make up this chemical. Choose one of these elements and draw the Bohr-Rutherford diagram for it.
There are two main ingredients that make up chlorine bleach are water and sodium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite is a mix of soduim, oxygen, and chlorine. This is the Bohr-Rutherford diagram for Sodium
3. Which group or chemical family of the Periodic Table is this element located in?
Sodium is located in the Alkali metals.
4. Is you chosen element a metal, non-metal or metalliod?
Sodium is a metal.
C) The Characteristics of Electricity
1. What type of electrical energy source will you use for your home? How sustainable is your choice of energy source for future generations?
In my future home, I will use solar panels as my electrical energy source because they are sustainable, low maintenance and very efficient. I think solar panels are very sustainable for future generations as they are a renewable source.
2. What types of physical structures make a house more energy efficient? How can you design a home that will reduce wasted energy?
Insulation, a high efficiency furnace, and tight fitting windows will make my house more energy efficient. I would design my home using solar panels placed on the roof to maximize sun absorption. I would face majority of my windows on the south and west side for maximum light and heat source.
3. What type of appliances will you choose for your home? Explain why you have chosen these appliances?
I would choose energy efficient appliances that are approved by the energy board. I'd choose these because I know they would use less energy than regular appliances, thus being more efficient.
4. What type of light bulbs would you include in your home design? Why?
I will use LED and compact florescent light bulbs because they are the most efficient and have long life spans.
D) The study of the Universe
1. Include at least two different types if technology in you future home that has been developed or researched due to space exploration. Describe how these technologies were invented.
In my home, I'll have a smoke detector, and space pens.
The smoke detector was invented to help detect any toxic vapors in the Earth orbiting space station called Skylab.
Space pens were invented so the ink cartridge contained pressured gas to push the ink toward the ball point. Which means you could write upside down with this pen. It was also invented with a special ink that works in both very hot and very cold environments.
Part 2: Home Design
Availability guide | Foodland Ontario. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ontario.ca/foodland/availability-guide
Bagster®. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.thebagster.com/how_it_works/
BMW i8 : Charging. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i8/2014/showroom/charging.html
Energy-Efficient Lighting: LED & CFL bulb information, including where to buy | Eartheasy.com. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm
Orangutan: an Endangered Species. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/van_anim_orang.htm
What Chemicals Make Up Chlorine Bleach? | eHow. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/list_6562031_chemicals-make-up-chlorine-bleach_.html