Updated Back-to-School Edition
Select your preferred language to the right!
The first day of school is September 1st!
Important Updates Added on August 26, 2021
WHPS Safe Return to School PlanRead here for our WHPS Safe Return to School Plan, featuring a photo from one of our own Duffy classrooms!
We will continue to eat picnic style outside on the front lawn. In the event of inclement weather, the cafeteria (grades 2-5) and classrooms (grades K-1) will be used.
All meals, breakfast and lunch, are free for all students for the 2021-2022 school year. Ala carte items (snacks), are not free and will have to be paid for. We do not allow students to go negative on their account with ala carte (snack) items. Your student can pay for snack items with cash or their Paypams account. Please click one of the buttons below for instructions on how to add money to your student's Paypams account.
It is important that families still fill out the free and reduced forms.
This information is used for other programs and will be needed for the start of the 2022-2023 school year if we go back to charging for meals.
Fun Transitional Activities
Meet & Greet
We welcome all Duffy students to meet their teacher and see their classroom space on Tuesday, August 31st! In order to reduce congestion in the hallways and classrooms, students will visit in two groups:
2:30-3:00 p.m. - Students with last names' A-K
3:00-3:30 p.m. - Students with last names' L-Z
All families must park in the Green Dragon parking lot and walk to the entrance for your child’s grade level. These are the same doors students will use daily when they arrive at school! Please see the Morning Entry section below for your child's grade level door.
Masks are required on campus for all children and adults.
Welcome Back Coffee & Conversation
Join Mrs. Laverty, Ms. Bliss, and members of the PTO on the first day for some Back to School Fuel! Please join us at 8:45 a.m. for some iced coffee on the front lawn (near the cafeteria door). Come celebrate the start of school with Coffee and Conversation!
Curriculum Night - Updated
Curriculum night has changed to a virtual event. Teachers will share a link with their families prior to the event.
This is your opportunity to learn about the curriculum for your child’s grade. Classroom routines and procedures will also be communicated, and you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and get to know our staff. This is an event for adults only, so please secure child care in order to attend. The plan for Thursday, September 9th is as follows:
5:30-6:15 p.m. - Grades 3, 4, & 5 families
6:15-6:45 p.m. - Visit with our specials team and support staff
6:45-7:30 p.m. - Grades K, 1, & 2 families
School supplies will be provided to students again this year. Crayons, pencils, markers, colored pencils, scissors, and glue sticks will all be waiting in classrooms to help students do their very best work! There are three things students need to bring from home:
A water bottle
A pocket folder
We are accepting school supply donations at this time. Donations can be dropped off at the Duffy office.
We Are Almost Ready For Our Dragons!
Ms. Fine's 5th Grade Classroom
Morning entry is from 8:25-8:35 a.m. Students arriving between 8:20-8:25 a.m. should maintain physical distance by standing on a “distance dot.” A staff member is assigned to each door to offer students a warm welcome to begin the day.
Kindergarteners: Families must park in the Green Dragon parking lot and walk their child to the first drop off door in the back of the building. Please use the sidewalk. Do not cross through the bus loop.
1st Graders: Families must park in the Green Dragon parking lot and walk their child to the second drop off door in the back of the building. Please use the sidewalk. Do not cross through the bus loop.
2nd & 3rd Graders: Families will use the drop off zone on Westminster Drive. Students will exit the car independently (onto the sidewalk) and walk to the front door. A staff member will be there every day to assist!
Students who ride the bus will be greeted at the bus each morning by a staff member and directed to their grade level door.
Students who walk to school will enter through their grade level door. We ask that the parents promptly leave once their student enters the building.
*Masks must be worn on campus at all times. Children and adults must have a mask on upon exiting their vehicle and keep the mask on until entering back into the vehicle.
*Upon entering their grade level door, students will sanitize using touchless sanitizing stations and go immediately to their classroom.
Duffy School Calendar
*KEY DATES August 28th - October 1st *
Events are at Duffy unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, August 31st
- 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. - Warm Welcome Tour for New Families
- 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Meet & Greet, Last Names' A-K
- 3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Meet & Greet, Last Names' L-Z
Wednesday, September 1st
- First Day of School
- 8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. - Coffee & Conversation
Monday, September 6th
- NO SCHOOL - Labor Day
Tuesday, September 7th
- NO SCHOOL - Rosh Hashanah
Thursday, September 9th
- 5:30 p.m. - 6:15 p.m. - Curriculum Night, Grades 3-5
- 6:15 p.m. - 6:45 p.m. - Curriculum Night, Specials Team & Support Staff
- 6:45 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Curriculum Night, Grades K-2
Friday, September 10th
- 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - PTO Board Meeting. All are Welcome!
Thursday, September 16th
- NO SCHOOL - Yom Kippur
Thursday, September 23rd
- 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - Welcome Wagon Pizza Dinner for New Families
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Ice Cream Social for All Families
West Hartford Social Services Back-to-School Program
The West Hartford Social Services Back-to-School Program is providing a gift card (while supplies last) to help your child (children) with school supplies for the 2021–2022 school year! Please click to picture below for more details.
POWERSCHOOL PARENT PORTAL
It is important that we always have up-to-date contact information for you and at least 3 emergency contacts for your child in case we are not able to reach you. To add or change emergency contacts or to update your information, please visit the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Hello New and Returning Duffy Families,
Welcome to the 2021/2022 school year! If you haven’t already, the Duffy PTO is requesting that you join our secure and private parent communication platform to stay up-to-date on classroom and school-wide announcements and events. In addition to PTO communications, many classroom teachers and room parents utilize Konstella to share information with their classes. Don’t miss out! Sign up or update your account today!
Here are some of the ways Konstella optimizes communication for the Duffy community:
- It provides a single location for your child’s/children’s activities, including class announcements, parties, school events, and volunteer sign-ups.
- Your personalized calendar in Konstella automatically includes upcoming activities and deadlines for your child’s class and Duffy as a whole. This calendar can be synced to your own personal electronic calendar.
- Parents will have the ability to communicate directly with other parents via private message.
- Parents can join a Duffy PTO committee or volunteer for a classroom/school event with just one click!
- The online version allows non- English speaking families to use the GOOGLE TRANSLATE link to translate ALL KONSTELLA communications into any language!
- If you are not already registered, you may request to join by filling out a simple sign up at https://www.konstella.com/p/duffy. Once your request to join has been verified, you will receive a prompt to add a personal password, add your children, and place him/her to a classroom as well as setup your privacy and notification preferences.
- If you are a RETURNING FAMILY, please update your Konstella account by placing your children in their new 2021/2022 classrooms.
- Please click here for detailed instructions on how to add children to Konstella classrooms.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
We recommend that you download the Konstella iPhone/Android app too, to stay
connected with our school even while on the go.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION😊
(Click on picture to view flyer.)