Slackwood News - Be More Awesome!
October 14, 2016
Calendar of Slackwood Events
Monday, Oct. 17 - Golden Heart Assembly 8 AM
Wednesday, Oct. 19 - BOE mtg at HS 7PM
Thursday, Oct. 20 - PTO Mtg 7PM - SW Library
Friday, Oct. 21 - Fall Festival and Trunk or Treat 6:30 - 8:30 PM
What's Really Important In Our School
- Self-awareness - this includes labeling one's feelings and having an accurate understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses.
- Self-management - this includes managing your emotions, delaying gratification, managing stress, and setting goals and then working toward them.
- Social Awareness - this includes the ability to empathize with others.
- Relationship Skills - being able to listen and communicate clearly and also collaborate with others.
- Responsible decision-making - this involves making ethical choices based on consideration of feelings, goals, outcomes and your plan.
Ultimately, it is a combination of academic, social and emotional competence that prepares students for the complex world that we live in. Employers seek out skills that are taught through social-emotional learning. Ultimately, those who are socially and emotionally stable with live happier lives. (Dusenbury, Weissberg, and Meyers).