(The only thing people really look at in a news article)
Not only identifying various text features, but really making your text features work for you!
Good text features ENHANCE your writing piece by adding new information and making your article more interesting to read.
Basic Text Features
Textbox or Sidebar
- Tell readers what the picture tells....get it?
- Often reveals new information about topic that is not found in the text
- Usually found below the image but can be above or on the side
- Shows reader what something looks like if it's uncommon or difficult to understand
- Helps reader visualize the written information
- Adds to reader's understanding
Titles and Headings: A Map For Your Reader
Don't brush off your titles and headings...they are very important in helping your reader follow your article's ideas. Here are some questions to guide you as you revise:
- Could the reader know what information you are presenting from reading ONLY your title and headings?
- Do your headings relate completely to what your paragraphs discuss?
- Are your headings interesting to read? Play with figurative language like ALLITERATION