Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 4/20
I hope that each of you had a wonderful weekend. The Reading MCAs are THIS week. We are testing tomorrow and Wednesday afternoon. There will likely be at third session on Thursday or Friday. Please help your child remember to get an excellent night of sleep prior to testing. Remind your child that he or she has worked hard all year and that the MCAs provide an opportunity to SHINE! :)
Our class is doing a fantastic job with the IXL Challenges! There are just a few challenges remaining. Remind your child to take advantage of the challenges by mastering at home or in the lab before school!
Challenge #6 (4/15-4/22):
D.14, V.3, W.1
Challenge #7 (4/22-4/29):
H.1, V.9, P.8
Fur Trade Presentation - What an afternoon!
Nupa Lunch -- BIG Thanks to Nupa!
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
Important Spring Dates:
THIS WEEK - April 20th-24th: 4th Grade Reading MCAs
May 4th-8th: 4th Grade Math MCAs/ Book Fair
May 5th: Spring Music Program (6:00-6:45)
May 14th-15th: Fourth Grade Science Museum Trip
May 21st: Fourth Grade Track & Field (5/22 & 5/26 are make-up dates)
Can you help? Seeking gum and other small treats for our MCA test takers! Thank you!
This Week's Important Updates:
- White T-Shirt for Spray Painting: Please have your child bring in a white t-shirt by Monday, May 4th. We will be once again be designing shirts. In fourth grade, students wear the shirts on our Science Museum overnight trip AND use the same shirt for Track & Field. Shirts will be washed, so please make sure sizing is correct!
- Arbor Day Seedlings: Thanks to the DNR, Arbor Day seedlings will be distributed to KMES students this Friday!
- Wear Yellow Next Friday, 5/1: We will be honoring our cafeteria staff on Friday, May 1st for School Lunch Hero Day! Please have your child wear yellow in honor of School Lunch Hero Day on 5/1! Students will be making Thank You's for our cafeteria staff during media class. Our class has the chance to earn books for the classroom by being the class with the most yellow. Let's win the challenge!!
- Homework Routines: Students are assigned to reading 30-35+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a roots assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are reading Antarctic Journal: Four Months at the Bottom of the World and working on determining main idea and details.
- We are reading about Arbor Day and various types of trees.
- We are celebrating National Poetry Month & reading lots of poetry!
- We are utilizing the PRUNES (Preview, Read x2, Underline, Notice key words, Eliminate, Survey/ check) strategy while reading passages and answering questions.
- We are building reading stamina and working on expanding vocabulary.
- We are adding and subtracting positive and negative integers.
- We are estimating weight and capacity.
- We are learning about metric and customary weight measurements.
- We are learning about 3-dimensional figures and discussing faces, edges, and vertices.
- We are reviewing multidigit multiplication and division strategies.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
- In Science, we are learning about plant and animal classification.
- In Social Studies, students are continuing their study of the United States regions.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Your Partner in Education,