Union Center Elementary
September 4th, 2020
Please check below for some updates on all things happening at Union Center Elementary!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING STUDENTS LEAVING AND RETURNING TO SCHOOL (NEW INFORMATION)
As of earlier this week, we were informed by the Indiana Department of Health that if your child is sent home from the school, he or she no longer need a Doctor's Note to return... a Negative COVID Test will suffice.
Any child who is sent home for symptoms still needs to be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to school, but now a Doctor's Note is not necessary, if the school is provided with a NEGATIVE COVID TEST.
Here is a breakdown:
- If your child is sent home from school because he or she has symptoms, he or she must go home and be away from school for 10 school days, unless....
- ...you take your child to get a Doctor's Note OR a COVID Test (results must be negative): Either will suffice.
If you have any questions about this or any other issues COVID related at school, please contact our School Nurse Mrs. Julie Burian at email@example.com
UCE Spiritwear Through PTO (NEW INFORMATION)
The PTO is working hard to determine a plan for this year with the changes that need to be made. We hope to share some new ideas by next week.
Today we are excited to share with you this years spiritwear. You will find everything conveniently done online only. Thank you to Mrs. Konopacki for working so hard to get this done. Please check out the link below to order.
Thank you for your continued support!
BUILDING CONSTRUCTION UPDATE (NEW INFORMATION)
- During this month, contract bidders will be walking the grounds of Union Center to get a better understanding of our building and the project they are bidding on: I want to assure parents that we are scheduling these meetings while students are NOT in the building, even though there will be no construction happening, just a site walk-through. There will be an individual walking with contract bidders at all times :)
- There will be a special School Board Meeting on Wednesday, September 30th at 7:00 PM to announce the contract bidders that were chosen.
- Finally, the start date for construction has been pushed back slightly, and will now start after the special School Board meeting: Once I have a definitive date, I will be sure to pass it along :)
SPECIAL BIRTHDAY TREATS (NEW INFORMATION)
Since we cannot bring in shared, outside food into the building, our UCE Kitchen has decided to provide a little birthday surprise to our kiddos!
If you are interested in having milk and cookies delivered to your child for their birthday, please contact Mrs. Kim Camplan, our Kitchen Manager, for prices and details at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Opportunities (NEW INFORMATION)
- Bus Aide- Interested applicants should email Superintendent John Hunter at email@example.com
- UTSC Groundskeeper- Interested applicants should email Superintendent John Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UTSC Kitchen- Interested applicants should email Superintendent John Hunter at email@example.com
- UTSC Technology- Interested applicants should email Superintendent John Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Education Classroom Aide at UCE (9:00-3:30)- Interested applicants should email Chrissy Giraud at email@example.com
NWEA Testing (NEW INFORMATION)
NWEA is replacing our STAR and AR program, and the plan is to begin rolling this out on September 21st. If you have yet to purchase your child headphones and a wired mouse, having those two items by September 21st will help them tremendously!
If you need assistance in helping with headphones and a mouse, please contact Mrs. Ana Brocksmith at firstname.lastname@example.org
PICTURE DAY IS THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24th
If you are a Virtual Learner, a schedule of times will be sent in the following weeks for times when your child can come to Union Center to get their picture taken!
For our in-person students, information for purchasing digitally and the day-of will be sent home in the coming weeks, as well :)
CUB SCOUT PACK 316
If you are interested in joining a local Cub Scout Pack ran by two wonderful parents, please click HERE for more information!
Elementary Virtual Pick-Up
The 4:00-6:00 Virtual Learner Pick-Up window is working GREAT, and I hope it is making life easier for parents to be able to pick-up their child's supplies for the week!
As a reminder, the vestibule will be open on both Monday and Friday from 4:00-6:00 PM.
Parents, please contact your child's teacher to see when materials will be ready for your child to pick-up, as to avoid any unnecessary trips :)
Breakfast and Lunch at Union Center
In order to properly social distance our students, our tables have been spread apart in the cafeteria and only 4 or 5 students will be allowed per table. Students will have assigned seats for the foreseeable future, after the first day of school.
We are asking that lunches be funded through check or credit card. You may find information at this LINK to create an account or add your child to your Mealtime account. Please make sure the check is in an envelope marked with your child's name and indicate amount. Our kitchen manager, Kim Camplan, will get all Kindergarten and new student families their lunch account information the first week of school, should you choose to create a Mealtime account, this will be needed information. Please contact Mrs. Kim Camplan at email@example.com for more information.
The Free and Reduced Price Breakfast and Lunch Application may be completed online through your Harmony Family Portal Account or picked up in our office anytime. Applications need to be completed each year. Families who applied and qualified last year will need to reapply at the start of school. If you would like us to send a copy home with your child during the first week of school please call the main office.Our school serves breakfast at 8:30 AM and lunch each day, and an August menu can be found on our website HERE.
Ice Cream Friday and Snacks: These will be available to students after we get our school year started. More information will be communicated in an upcoming newsletter.
Lunch Visitors: To start the school year, we will not be allowing visitors during our lunch periods. Thank you again, for understanding the changes in place to support our safety measures this school year..
10:45-11:10 (KG Lunch/1st Recess)
5 Min Clean Break
11:15-11:40 (KG Recess/1st Lunch)
10 Min Clean Break
11:50- 12:15 (2nd Lunch/3rd Recess)
5 Min Clean Break
12:20- 12:45 (2nd Recess/3rd Lunch)
10 Min Clean Break
12:55- 1:20 (4th Recess/5th Lunch)
5 Min Clean Break
1:25- 1:50 (4th Lunch/5th Recess)
COVID-19 Student Guidance
- The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) has released some wonderful tips to parents about how to begin having the conversation with your child regarding wearing a mask. Please click HERE for more information.
- For a look at the difference between Quarantine and Isolation, please take a look at the attachment HERE.
A Day in the Life at Union Center!!
Daelyn, Madison, and Gianna in Ms. Uskert's 3rd Grade Classroom!
Mrs. Black Discussing Strategies on Working Together in Ms. D'Elia's 5th Grade Classroom!
Julian, Michael, and Bryson in Mrs. Whitaker's 3rd Grade Classroom!
Mrs. Sparks and Her Students Social Distancing in the Hallway!
Madalyn, Jameson, Michael, and Layla in Mrs. Kearney's 2nd Grade Class!
Ms. Gonzales Kindergarten Students Having Some Luau Fun!