By: Sydney Werner, Emily Deflavis and Tatiana Orr
- The Maori people inhabited an island in New Zealand over 1,200 years ago and use the stars and the sea currents to find the island.
- They are polytheistic and have gods representing the sky, earth, forest, and forces of nature.
- They enjoy dancing, singing,arts, and deep spiritual beliefs.
- 19th century was predominant language spoken in nNew Zeland
- Maori people had no writen language, but did have symbolic meanings
- Missionaries hade made the first attempt to write down Maori language
- The Maori tribe are the indigenous people of New Zealand
- The people came to New Zealand over 1000 years ago
- Today they make up 14% of the New Zealand Population