Galaxy Wars: M81 versus M82
APOD- Zoe Rayner
- M81 is a spiral galaxy- commonly known as Bode's Galaxy, contains 50 billion solar masses.
- M82 is an irregular galaxy- commonly known as the Cigar Galaxy, contains 50 billion solar masses.
- The two are locked in gravitational combat
- The gravity between the two has increased M81's density, and gave M82 violent star forming regions and colliding gas clouds.
- Can be seen from Earth through an Integrated Flux Nebula
M81 in 60 Seconds (HIGH DEFINITION)
M82 Cigar Galaxy
- Gravitational Combat- The two are pulling on each other, and eventually they will collide and one galaxy will remain.
- Integrated Flux Nebula- the nebula cloud is lit up by the galaxy, not by the stars that are inside it.