13.6- Defining Urban Settlements
Urban growth caused adjacent metropolitan areas to overlap.
LEGAL DEFINTION OF A CITY
- City defines a urban settlement hat has been legally incorporated into an independent, self-governing unit.
- Central cities are surrounded by suburbs.
- Cities have locally elected officials and the ability to raise taxes
METROPOLITAN STATISTICAL AREA
- The U.S. Bureau of the Census has created a method of measuring the functional area of a city, known as the metropolitan statistical area (MSA).
- MSA includes an area of at least 50,000 inhabitants
- Micropolitan statistical areas are smaller urban areas designated by the census
Metropolitan Statistical Area of Florida
Metropolitans and Micropolitans
Human settlement - Video Learning - WizScience.com
Top 10 Largest Cities in the World (by Metropolitan Area)