Evans School Tech News
8 Reasons to Use Google Chrome
Google Chrome is a web browser just like Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Here are 8 Reasons to Use Google Chrome:
- Chrome is always up to date. You will not see an Adobe Flash or Reader update for Chrome. You will not be asked to update Chrome - it updates in the background.
- Chrome is fast and loads your pages quickly.
- Chrome lets you search from the top. No need to type google.com to perform a search, just start searching right at the top.
- Chrome can save your bookmarks and browsing info. If you log in to your Chrome at school, you can also login to Chrome on another computer (like at home) and have access to all of your bookmarks and saved login info that you use at school.
- Chrome offers some really awesome tools that you can add to it to make your internet browsing even more productive. These tools called extensions can be added to Chrome to allow you do things like: Shorten a web address or create a QR code instantly (ShortenMe), take a screenshot of an entire webpage (Explain and Send Screenshots), turn off everything in a YouTube video, including the ads (YouTube Options), pin directly to Pinterest (Pin it Button), and remove ads (Ad Blocker). This is just a few of the hundreds of extension offered. You can look for extensions at: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps or you can look for the Chrome Web Store while using Chrome. Click Here for a list of extensions which would be helpful to teachers (Note: these will only work on the computer and not the iPad).
- You can also add 'apps' to your Chrome browser. These apps are mostly just quick links to websites. They will appear when you click the apps button at the top left of Chrome. Once you're logged in to Chrome, as you use the 'apps' you will find that your Google login will be used and will keep you from having to login to everything.
- Have two or more Google accounts? In the settings, you can add a user. This way you can have a Chrome setup for your EVSC Google account, and one for your personal Google account. Both users will have their own apps, extensions, and saved info.
- Get quick access to all of your Google stuff without having to login. If you want to access your Google mail, calendar, or drive in Chrome, it's as simple as a click. No need to login every time.
As always, let me know if you need assistance getting the most of Google Chrome or other tools!
Update your iPad and Mac
AirPlay - Yay!
EVSC eRev Summer Conference
Force Quit that Wonky Program
Ever had a program on your Mac or an app on your iPad just go wonky? (Wonky is a technical term for when something doesn't work as it normally does). You can always Force Quit that app or program. Here is how to do that (try the steps below in order).
- Double click the home button to reveal the most recently used apps. Hold the app you want to close and slide up. The app will go off the screen and this will completely quit the app.
- Another important tip is to fully power off your iPad by holding the lock button until you get the red bar to turn off the iPad. Power back on.
- The last tip is try a hard reset. Hold down the home button and lock button until your iPad turns off and then let go. Power back on.
- Click on the Apple at the top, select Force Quit, select the program to quit and then relaunch the program.
- If you cannot get to the Apple at the top press Command + Option + Esc to open the Force Quit window.
- If those options don't work, find the power button and hold it until the computer turns off. Power back on. Note: Quickly pressing the power button will just put it to sleep.
What about that Gross Guy on YouTube
Kahoot Response System
Kahoot is a colorful and fun way to engage students as a class or small group with questions. Great for exit tickets or test review, Kahoot allows you to display a question on the board and give students an opporunity to answer questions from a computer or iPad. The game is colorful and has fun sounds and shows an analysis of student answers. Go to https://getkahoot.com/ today to create your free teacher account.
This is an incredibly fun app your kids will like. If you have ever wanted to share a photo, message, or web link with your students quickly this is an app you should try. To use this app everyone in class would open the Chirp app and their iPads will begin listening. The teacher will open the Chirp app and then choose what to share. Once the teacher presses the Chirp button, it will send a funny sound to the iPads which are listening. They will instantly receive the photo, link, or note that the teacher sent. Give it try: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chirp/id529469280?mt=8
Promethean Board Bulbs
Google Email Forwarding
If you did not already do so, please be sure to follow these steps to make sure your EVSC Google mail is forwarded to your main evsc.k12.in.us account. If you don't set up forwarding, you will not get email reminders when documents are shared with you. Click here for forwarding instructions. If you have not done this and need assistance, please let me know and I will assist you. Everyone should do this!