Junior League of Peoria
Our women are the force that makes change happen.
Little Black Dress Initiative 2020
August 31st - September 4th
Through this initiative, JLP Members and the community come together to increase awareness on food insecurity in our area.
LBDI Advocates will wear the same black dress for five consecutive days to illustrate the effects poverty can have on a person’s access to resources, confidence, and professional opportunities.
Beyond advocating on increasing food security, the Junior League of Peoria develops Kids in the Kitchen programs that bring nutritional education, resources, and meals to children and their families. In addition, JLP strategically supports local food pantries, specifically in the quest to provide more nutritious options. An alternative method in which the League addresses Food Insecurity is through Community Gardens in Food Deserts.
This year we have an LBDI goal of raising $10,000 to continue our work in providing nutritional education in the Peoria community.
25 Women in Leadership Class of '20
“Other women who are killing it should motivate you, thrill you, challenge you and inspire you." ~Taylor Swift
Congratulations to our President, Andrea Totora and Executive Vice President Elect, Jessica Reyling on their selection to the WEEK 25 News' “25 Women in Leadership” class of 2020 ! Their leadership and passion for community service is so inspiring and we’re proud to have them as leaders of our organization.
Check out the links below to watch their interview and read more about what Andrea and Jessica have done to help our great community.
Kids in the Kitchen Filming
Lights, Camera, Action!
The Community Outreach Committee has been working to revamp our traditional Kids in the Kitchen progam to a virtual platform! In our efforts to revamp, we've decided to create cooking videos of our members creating our recipes to add to our grocery kits!
Visit the JLP Facebook page and the JLP Calendar for the latest updates on volunteer opportunities.
Sow to Grow Community Garden
JLP members led weekly Kids in the Kitchen sessions in the community garden this summer. The Sow to Grow garden at Glendale Commons teaches children and families how to grow healthy food and how to use and prepare it. We've made everything from cucumber salad to dips to black bean hummus.
The children really enjoy learning about the different vegetables and flowers and herbs.
If you haven't been to the garden yet, please join us at an
Open House in the Sow to Grow Community Garden - September 17
Sow to Grow Community Garden Open House
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 5-6:30pm
706 Wayne Street
Phoenix Community Development Services and the Junior League of Peoria are hosting an Open House in the Sow to Grow Community Garden, located at 706 Wayne Street in Peoria, on Thursday, September 17 from 5:00 - 6:30 pm. A short program will be held at 5:45 pm.
This outdoor event is open to the public and everyone is welcome to come see how the garden grows! Guests are asked to practice social distancing and to wear face masks.
The Sow to Grow Garden was established in the spring of 2019 with goals of improving access to healthy, fresh food in the heart of one of Peoria’s food deserts and to providing ongoing education to empower residents of Phoenix Community Development Services’ Glendale Commons housing with the skills and knowledge needed to make healthy food choices for life. The purpose of the Open House is to recognize and celebrate the many community collaborators whose support made the project possible, including the Junior League of Peoria, the University of Illinois Extension Master Gardeners, the City of Peoria and many others.
The Sculpture of Ronald Bladen Tour at the Peoria River Front Museum
Save the Date: Upcoming Events
LBDI Week: August 30th - September 4th
- 8/29 | All Day: Fox Pub & Cafe Saturday Spotlight! - Order ahead or dine in any time on Saturday August 29th at the Fox Pub & Cafe and a portion of all food sales will go back to the LBDI Campaign.
- 8/30 | 7 PM: [SOLD OUT] Sunset Yoga @ Kickapoo Creek Winery with Soulside Healing Arts
- 8/31 | Ongoing: Bearded Owl LBDI Sponsored Beer - Purchase the special LBDI Bearded Owl Hefeweizen beer throughout LBDI week and a protion of sales will go back to JLP! Details available soon. Pick up a beer or get a crowler to go!
- 8/31 | Ongoing: Nailed It! @ Crafted DIY Bar - Take home customized LBDI project and cocktail! Orders to be placed 5 days prior to pick-up. ALSO a portion of all in-studio drink sales for the month of August will go towards LBDI.
- 9/1 | 6 PM: General Membership Meeting & Little Free Pantry Food Drive - The September GMM will focus on the Little Black Dress Initiative (LBDI) and JLP is collecting food pantry donations to benefit food insecurity. Follow our Facebook event for drop off locations.
Additional information on the dates, times, and locations of each event can be found by following the Junior League of Peoria on Facebook.
- 9/1: General Membership Meeting via Zoom @ 6 PM
Don't forget to check the internal calendar for more upcoming events, webinars, meetings, and trainings!