Trail Blazer News
Echo Mountain Studio Recording Session
Claxton Fundraiser: Poppy Popcorn!
PLEASE JOIN CLAXTON AND POPPY TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE LEADER IN ME RESOURCES AND OUR NEW PLAYGROUND!
- PLEASE have your students fill out the top of the fundraising form. It's easy...Student writes their name, your name, and grade level (This is for Poppy so we know who the order goes back to after we fill it), the top line should say that money goes to support Claxton OR get specific and say The Leader In Me/New Playground.
- Note that the date for COLLECTING forms has changed. Students will need to send forms AND money in on Friday, May 13th. ALL payment is due at that time.Checks need to be made to Claxton PTO (not Claxton, not Asheville City Schools)
- Popcorn will be delivered to school on Thursday, May 19th and will be sent home with students.
- Students with large orders will need to pick them up on Friday Morning OR at pick up on Friday afternoon. Someone from Poppy will handle those larger orders.
Wish List: Items that we currently need.
- Saturday, May 14, 5K for the Boys Running Group
- Thursday, May 19, Potluck of Learning & Community Drum Circle from 5:30-8:00
- Friday, May 20, Spring Book Fair begins
- Monday, May 23, Second Grade Field Trip
- Wednesday, June 8th, Last Day of School, Classroom Awards Ceremony and Picnic
Happy Birthday, Jessica!
We would LOVE to have you read to us! Please follow this link to sign-up!
Thank you, Jenna, for being our Mystery Reader this week!
What We are Learning
Reading: We learning about how reasons support specific points an author is trying to make as we read nonfiction books about animal life cycles.
RI.2.8 - Describe how reasons support specific points the author makes in a grade-appropriate text.
Writing: We currently writing poetry, but we will transition into nonfiction writing about life cycles next week.
Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will continue Unit 15 on Monday. We are focusing on double vowel syllable
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We are focusing on measurement.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.2 Measure the length of an object twice, using length units of different lengths for the two measurements; describe how the two measurements relate to the size of the unit chosen.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.3 Estimate lengths using units of inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.4 Measure to determine how much longer one object is than another, expressing the length difference in terms of a standard length unit.
Science: We are focusing on the life cycles of plants and animals.
2.L.1 Understand animal life cycles.
2.L.2 Remember that organisms differ from or are similar to their parents based on the characteristics of the organism
Social Studies: We are starting a unit on economic concepts culminating in a student-led classroom "town" with various good and services for sale.
- 2.E.1 Understand basic economic concepts.