WMS Community Bulletin 03-09-20
Watertown Middle School 2019-2020
Happy almost Spring! Another warm day tomorrow - very hard to believe we may only have one snow day this year!
A couple of quick notes:
- When dismissing your children, please leave a little bit of extra time. Once you arrive, we need to call them down to the office, and they will stop by their lockers on the way, so it takes a few minutes. Please factor in this time so you are not anxious about being late for an appointment.
- We have many, many items in the Lost and Found bin by the upper gym. Please have your child check the bin if you are missing something, or come by and look yourself (please check in the office first). Within a couple of weeks we will be donating any leftover items.
For Drop Off / Pick Up - Please be sure and use the Bemis Street entrance (NOT Waverley) before 8:30 am. The buses and vans use the Waverly entrance until 8:30 am and it is a safety issue to also have cars use that entrance.
Here are some important upcoming dates:
March 7 - Daylight savings "spring forward"
March 11 - PTO meeting 7:00 pm
March 11 - Bandarama at WHS 7:00 pm
March 13 - WHS Guidance and students panel for 8th-grade students (in school)
March 13 - P4P Skate Night 6:00pm
March 14 - P4P Rummage Sale
March 16 - Equity Event - "You Don't Know Me Until You Know Me: A Night With Mykee Fowlin"
(more information below)
March 18 - Grade 8 DC/Watertown Week meeting 6:00 pm WMS Cafeteria
March 20 - WMS Musical "Beauty and the Beast" 7:00 pm
March 21 - WMS Musical "Beauty and the Beast" 7:00 pm
March 23 - School Committee meeting at WMS
March 26 - Early Release Day 12:30 pm Dismissal
March 26 - Pennies for Patients Movie Afternoon 12:45-2:45 pm
March 26 - Parent conferences 1:00-3:00 pm
March 26 - Parent conferences 6:00-8:00 pm
March 27 - Pennies for Patients Dance 7:00-9:30 pm
March 31 - - Early Release Day 12:30 pm Dismissal
March 31 - WMS MCAS Infrastructure testing
March 31 - Parent conferences 1:00-3:00 pm
March 31 - Parent conferences 5:00-7:00 pm
April 1 - WPS Art Show opening 5:00-7:00 pm Watertown Mall
April 1 - WMS School Site Council meeting 6:30-8:00 pm
April 2 - WHS Program of Studies Night 7:00-8:30 pm
April 3 - Musicfest 5:30-9:30 pm. (more information below)
April 10 - Early release day
April 15-16 - ELA MCAS testing at WMS
April 17 - Early release day
April 20-24 - April vacation - NO SCHOOL
*** In the event there is a snow day at some point, the "A" and "B" days stay the same as currently assigned ***
Monday, March 9 - B day
Tuesday, March 10 - A day
Wednesday, March 11 - B day
Thursday, March 12 - A day
Friday, March 13 - B day
Monday, March 16 - A day
Tuesday, March 17 - B day
Wednesday, March 18 - A day
Thursday, March 19 - B day
Friday, March 20 - A day
Monday, March 23 - B day
Tuesday, March 24 - A day
Wednesday, March 25 - B day
Thursday, March 26 - A day Early Release Day 12:30 pm
Friday, March 27 - B day
Monday, March 30 - A day
Tuesday, March 31 - B day Early Release Day 12:30 pm
Wednesday, April 1 - A day
Thursday, April 2 - B day
Friday, April 3 - A day
Monday, April 6 - B day
Tuesday, April 7 - A day
Wednesday, April 8 - B day
Thursday, April 9 - A day
Friday, April 10 - B day Early Release Day 12:30 pm
Pennies for Patients Rummage Sale
Our annual Pennies for Patients Rummage Sale is coming up on Saturday, March 14th, and we need your stuff!
If you plan to donate, please make certain household items are intact and in working order. Any clothing should be clean, gently worn, and free of rips, tears, and stains. Small furniture such as chairs, end tables, lamps, desks, etc. would be great. Toys, games, appliances, books, kitchenware, and sporting goods are needed as well. No televisions or computer monitors please.
Silent Auction items such as gift cards or better quality household donated items would be greatly appreciated! Please send all donated items to school by Friday, March 13th with your child, or drop them off in the office during school hours.
Finally, we hope to see everyone on the day of the sale, Saturday, March 14th! Come and shop! You never know what you'll find!
Pennies for Patients - Raffle! Guess how many pennies!
A large jar of pennies was generously donated to Pennies for Patients!
For the Raffle: Guess how many pennies there are in the jar for a chance to win Celtics tickets!
- $1.00/per guess
- Individuals can purchase multiple guesses
- Watertown Savings Bank will count the pennies
- Winner will be the person who guesses the exact number of pennies or comes the closest to the number, In the event there are multiple people who guess the same number...those names will be put in a hat and randomly picked. Winner will be notified by Saturday the 14th.
- Raffle tickets will be on sale Wednesday - Friday during all lunches
- The tickets are for Wed, March 18th at 7:30 vs NY Knicks at the TD Garden
Grade 9 Course Selection Process at Watertown High School
Please see the link below with important information about the course selection process for students who will be Watertown High School freshmen in September of 2020.
Adrienne Eaton, WHS Lead Guidance Counselor
From the PTO - WMS International Cookbook!
WMS International Cookbook!
Para el Libro de Cocina Internacional de la Escuela Intermedia Watertown El PTO de la Escuela Intermedia Watertown está haciendo un libro de cocina para celebrar la diversidad cultural que es Watertown. Queremos recetas que haga en una ocasión especial, así como los favoritos familiares probados y verdaderos. Desde aperitivos hasta postres: estamos buscando 100 recetas para el 20 de marzo y tenemos el libro de cocina listo para comprar antes del 1 de junio.
Envíe una receta a Lorena Moynihan a firstname.lastname@example.org o Gina Brennan a email@example.com. También puede dejar una receta en la oficina o enviarla por correo a: Watertown Middle School PTO, 68 Waverley Ave., Watertown, MA 02472
● Incluya su nombre, información de contacto, afiliación (p. Ej., Maestro en WMS, su empresa, estudiante de sexto grado , padre / abuelo, etc.). Tu nombre aparecerá con la receta.
● Opcional: agregue algunas líneas sobre la receta; ¿de dónde es? ¿Es un plato de ocasión especial? Consejos para servir o preparar
● Verifique la precisión de su receta (las recetas ilegibles o inexactas pueden provocar errores)
● Díganos en qué categoría debe ir la receta, por ejemplo, aperitivo, plato principal, vegetales, sopa / ensalada, postre, pan / panecillos, misceláneos ..
● Dile a otras personas. ¡Cuantas más recetas, mejor!
● Voluntario para ayudar a crear el libro de cocina. Dígale a Gina Brennan a firstname.lastname@example.org o al 617-957-1738 si puede ayudar.
Queremos suas receitas!
Para o livro de receitas internacional da Watertown Middle School A PTO da Watertown Middle School está fazendo um livro de receitas para celebrar a diversidade cultural que é Watertown. Queremos receitas que você faz em uma ocasião especial, bem como os favoritos da família experimentados e verdadeiros. De aperitivos a sobremesas - estamos procurando 100 receitas até 20 de março e temos o livro de receitas pronto para compra até 1º de junho.
Envie uma receita para Lorena Moynihan em email@example.com ou Gina Brennan em firstname.lastname@example.org. Você também pode deixar uma receita no escritório ou enviá-la por correio para: PTO da Watertown Middle School, 68 Waverley Ave., Watertown, MA 02472
● Inclua seu nome, informações de contato e afiliação (por exemplo, professor da WMS, sua empresa, aluno do 6º ano) , pai / avô etc). Seu nome aparecerá com a receita.
● Opcional: adicione algumas linhas sobre a receita; de onde é? É um prato para ocasiões especiais? Dicas para servir ou preparar
● Verifique sua receita com precisão (receitas ilegíveis ou imprecisas podem resultar em erros)
● Diga-nos em que categoria a receita deve entrar, por exemplo, aperitivo, prato principal, vegetais, sopa / salada, sobremesa, pão / pãezinhos ..
● Diga outras pessoas. Quanto mais receitas, melhor!
● Ofereça-se para ajudar a criar o livro de receitas. Informe Gina Brennan em email@example.com ou 617-957-1738 se você puder ajudar.
Spring Sports Information from Athletic Director Murphy
Hello Fellow Raiders and Raider Families,
Registration is now open for High School and Middle School Spring Athletics.
There will be a meeting on Monday, March 9th at 6:30 PM at the High School Auditorium. This is an excellent opportunity to meet the Coaches, receive schedules and important information regarding changes in Athletics on the High School and Middle School levels.
1) Do not create a new account. If you cannot remember your login name or password, please follow the information to recover your account through FamilyID. Creating a new account erases your student’s athletic history.
2) Student Information – Please make sure the information for your student (i.e. phone number and email address) is “their” information. There is a section for parent’s email and phone information. However, the coach will need your student’s email address and cell phone to get out information and updates.
Please observe Upper/lower case rules on the student's Name and Address. This helps us with awards and mailings.
3) Grade - Please make sure your student’s grade level is correct. This is important to make sure we have them on the correct teams.
4) New This Year- Please see new section in registration headed
CONCUSSION BASELINE TESTING INFORMATION. This is an excellent opportunity to have baseline testing done on your student for a low price and will provide invaluable information in the event your student suffers any head trauma in the future from any incident.
MFSAB TRANSPORTATION – The School Department now owns 2 Multi-Function Student Activity Buses. Each bus holds 15 passengers and we may use this as alternative transportation for a smaller group.
5) FEES ARE DUE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION - (unless submitting a request for reduced fees; see the section below regarding Reduced Fees.
6) Refunds - Make sure you understand the refund policy before committing your student to a sport.
7) Permissions - Please be sure to read and understand the permissions you are signing off on. If you have any questions, you should feel free to contact us at the number below.
8) Sports – Please be sure to read each section and register your student for the correct sport/level appropriate form them.
HIGH SCHOOL (March 16, 2020) MIDDLE SCHOOL (March 30, 2020)
Baseball – Boys Baseball - Boys
Lacrosse – Boys & Girls Golf - Coed
Track & Field – Boys & Girls Softball (Competes on HS JV Team 03/16/20)
Softball – Girls (MS & HS Team) Track & Field – Boys & Girls
Tennis Boys & Girls Volleyball - Girls
Volleyball – Boys – CLUB
REGISTRATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED BY: High School Athletes 03/10/20 Middle School Athletes 03/24/20 (M.S. Softball Girls must be registered by 03/10/20)
FEES – HS STUDENTS
The current fee structure is:
$200.00 for the first sport played in 2019-2020 school year
$175.00 for the second sport played in the 2019-2020 school year
$0.00 for the third sport played in the 2019-2020 school year.
See the section below regarding requesting Reduced Fees
FEES – MS STUDENTS
The current fee structure is:
$50.00 Annual Fee for athletics during the 2019-2020 school year.
There are no reduced fees for Middle School students and all students are required to pay the $50 to participate in athletics annually.
If your student previously participated in a sport, you do NOT need to start from scratch. Login to FamilyID using your account name and password. You then pull up your student from the family list and apply them to the Fall Sport they will participate in. However, you will need to re-sign all permissions areas as well.
If you already have a FamilyID account but can't remember the login information, please contact FamilyID (their contact info is on the login page) for your account information. Please do not set up a new account as we will lose your/your student's family history.
You are not yet cleared to participate in that sport. In order to be cleared, you will need to have a current physical on file, be a student in good academic standing and have made financial arrangements to submit athletic fees.
REDUCED FEES – H.S. ONLY - There are reduced fees available to students included in the *Free or Reduced Meal Plan Application. In order for us to qualify your student for a reduced athletic fee, you will need to complete the permission by checking the 'Yes I Do' box and sign the electronic signature box in FamilyID. You will be notified via email of your fee contribution.
MS STUDENTS ARE RECEIVING A REDUCED ATHLETIC FEE. THERE IS NOT FURTHER REDUCTIONS BASED ON MEALS APPLICATION.
Fees are due at the time of registration unless you are requesting a reduction under the
Free and Reduced Meal Plan Application.
*Present Free and Reduced Meal Plan Applications from last school year are valid for fall Athletic ONLY. You must have a current form on file with the School Cafeteria in order to be considered for a reduced athletic fee. If you think you are eligible but do NOT have a meal plan in place, follow this link to the form to apply for Free or Reduced Lunch: Watertown Free & Reduced Meal Plan Application
If you do not want to use the online payment system and you can submit a MONEY ORDER in person or via mail to the Athletics Office at:
Watertown High School
Attn: Athletics Jae Smith
50 Columbia Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Please put the name of the athlete and the sport in the memo section of the money order. This fee is due at the time of registration. Unfortunately, no student may participate or receive a uniform with an outstanding balance.
All student-athletes must have a physical examination from their doctor on file. The physical examination must have taken place within 13 months in order to practice or play and should be turned in to the Nurse's office. This is an MIAA requirement and will be strictly enforced. If your student’s physical has expired or is about to expire during the season, PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR CURRENT PHYSICAL when prompted in FamilyID. It will save a lot of time clearing you to participate. Hard copies can be submitted to the school’s Nurse.
Physicals must have a section that says the student is able to participate in activities including school sports.
The School Nurse will be the contact person in having your son or daughter cleared medically with the processing of the annual physical examination or other medical conditions. Please check the renewal date of your physical examination now and make appointments in advance so your son or daughter does not miss any athletic time.
High School Nurse, Mr. Joie Mara may be reached at 617-926-7758 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle School Nurse, Ms. Michelle Laracy may be reached at 617-926-7783 or by email email@example.com.
High School students with 2 failing grades from the last academic period are not eligible to participate in games/matches. Students need to demonstrate improved academics in order to resume participation.
I hope you/your student has a successful year in the classroom and an enjoyable experience at Watertown High or Middle School.
Ms. Jae Smith is the Athletic Administrative Assistant. She will assist with questions you may have about athletic issues. She will be able to assist you in online registration and online payments and she may be reached at 617-926-7748 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ryan Murphy Jae Smith
Athletics Director Athletic Administrative Assistant
Watertown Public Schools
50 Columbia Street, RM 181A
Watertown, MA 02472
617-926-7748 phone, 617-673-6848 fax
9th Annual Watertown MUSICFEST
From the Nurse's Office - FLU ADVISORY:
Sick Child Protocol
With flu season upon us, here is a reminder of the district's sick child protocol
1. 24-Hour Rule:
A child must stay home for at least 24 hours to rest if the following symptoms are present the morning of school or the previous night:
· Fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. A child should not come back to school until the temperature is normal for 24 hours without medication
· Excessive coughing or sneezing
· Ear pain and/or eye drainage
· Vomiting and/or Diarrhea
· An unusual rash
2. Antibiotic has been prescribed: If an antibiotic medication is prescribed to your child for any illness, they should also stay home until they have been on the antibiotics for a full 24 hours.
FLU ADVISORY: Flu is most contagious the first 3-4 days after becoming sick. It takes 1-2 days after exposure to a flu virus before the illness becomes evident, and it may be contagious up to 7 days after becoming sick. The best two practices to prevent flu from spreading are proper and frequent handwashing and appropriate quarantine (e.g. coughing etiquette, wearing a mask, staying away when sick). If you have a fever, please stay at home for at least 24 hours since your last elevated temperature. If diagnosed with flu, please stay at home for a minimum of 3-4 days since the illness started.
**Also please note, that students are not to "self-dismiss" by texting home as cell phone use is not allowed during the school day. Please encourage your student to go see Nurse Michelle in the health office where she can assess and call home or have them use the phone in the main office.**
Community Service - Get Involved! :)
The link will also be posted on the WMS website.
A Reminder from Student Council!
- For plastic recycling, families can turn in plastic film and bags, especially after opening their holiday gifts. We are collecting plastic until April.